General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

HELP! eBay is singing its siren song again...

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

HELP! eBay is singing its siren song again...

Greetings!

I come to you for advice on a 1990 Custom Cruiser that's two days from closing on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oldsm...item3a63da85d8

As you can see, it's no ordinary 'Cruiser, what with the fancier motor and manual gearbox for a start. This is the third time it's been listed (first it failed to make reserve at $1,275; the second time it hit its Buy-It-Now price of $4k, only to reappear a few days later; current price $898.88), so I'm not the only one with "issues" about it.

There's not all that much info in the listing, but I'm hoping you folks can make some intelligent guesstimates as to what it's worth (and if it's worth anything near the $4k BIN asking price to begin with).

It's the motor and trans I'm most interested in, and as I don't know diddly-squat compared to you folks, I'm hoping for thoughts on whether or not this rig seems purchase-worthy, even if it's just for the engine and trans.

Thanks again in advance (and hurry, there's just two days to go!),

Drew
Old March 9th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

The first question you need to answer is, do you have periodic emissions testing where you live? If so, this car will not pass.
Old March 9th, 2011, 10:15 AM

If it's just an engine and trans you want, I've a '69 350/350 combo available for $650 - probably 20 min from the Ill./Ind. border off I-80, in Peotone! Ran and drove before pull-out.
For a friend, probably best offer, PM me for his e-mail, if interested.
Save some time, money and worry!
Old March 9th, 2011, 10:19 AM

The trans is an auto not manual. I would say leave this molested wagon alone unless ya cant live without it.
Old March 9th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I think....

The hood ornament is crooked, and the pictures are sideways. Which indicates halfassedness, and lack of motivation to learn how to properly rotate pictures. The dash has been cut wide open for the radio, and it doesn't even fit right. Looks like a clip or 2 is broken....possibly the dash itself, and not just the cover.

Those wheels are played out. Everyone and their mother has them, or something similar.

I'd pay a grand tops unless there is complete paperwork on the engine and what shop blueprinted it.
Old March 9th, 2011, 01:42 PM

Not a bad looking car. The wheels are ok. At least they're not some ugly *** oversized garbage. That shifter has to go. It looks boogered in there and that makes me wonder what else he boogered up. For instance why did he remove the o/d trans ? Lack of any information pertaining to the motor scares me. But then again clean southern sheet metal always makes things more attractive to us in the salt belt. If you want it that bad then I would ask for more pics, information and reciepts.
Old March 9th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The first question you need to answer is, do you have periodic emissions testing where you live? If so, this car will not pass.
Thankfully, not in Michigan. But if I still lived in California she wouldn't pass with her ORIGINAL equipment, anyway.

Oldsmaniac: As for the shifter, I thought it was ridiculous when it was a "stick", but now that I know it's an automatic, WTF did he do that for? "Shift kit" my a$$!

Rickman48: Without someone to install it and set it up properly it's an expensive paperweight right now. I'd still like the email address, though. The dreaded "bottom-end noises" she's making are staying at bay for now, but it's all "borrowed" time.

Speaking of which, what SHOULD an engine & trans removal and replacement cost? I've had lots of good leads about what engine I should go for instead of re-doing my lackluster 307, but no matter how good the deal on "parts" might be, it's the "labor" that'll probably kill me.

[And if anyone's looking for a spring/summer project, throw me a quote on what it'd cost for YOU to do it. Can't hurt to ask. Much. ]