General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Help from CO members in Seattle area

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2023, 12:57 PM

Help from CO members in Seattle area

Hello all, I’m in Austin Texas and looking at a 73 Cutlass Supreme in Edmonds Washington. Looking for someone willing to drive over and take a look either before or after the inspection.

The dealership is asking waaaayyy too much but the car actually looks like it might be in pretty dang good condition. The claim is 25k miles which I know can’t be verified and there’s no original paperwork, but the rest of the car looks about like a well kept untouched 25k car might.

Problem is the dealership is not a dedicated classics and has some very bad reviews, painting and hiding of rotted frames, and what not among other more expected stuff like selling lemons but mostly newer cars.

I love this car and have been looking for one, but I’m not gonna over pay or get ripped off, however I definitely want to get this one checked out.

Anybody in the area willing to drive over and kick the tires, feel around on the vinyl top for rust and look for any obvious signs of serious problems?

Im mostly worried about corrosion and rot hiding under the vinyl top and wheel wells (paint bubbling and lumpy crunchy stuff under the top), floor pans etc… I know the vinyl tops need to be updated and replaced eventually regardless but don’t want something that is too far gone underneath there. I’ve had inspectors miss stuff before. Also, they don’t have a lift so you might have to lay on the ground to peek under. I’m going to try to coordinate with them to find one if I don an inspection.

The place is called West Coast Autoworks and here is a link to the add.

Willing to cover gas and lunch, Thanks!!
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/3a6c5b6f-d67d-476e-b0d4-51289ec815dc/?aff=acqem125&emc=acqem125&utm_source=Iterable&utm _medium=email&utm_campaign=campaign_TR_ProfileCrea tion%20%2B%20SavedCar_Confirmation_EML&smtrctid=

Old September 6th, 2023, 03:59 PM

Stay focused on projects that can be finished and keep the car drivable. Seen a lot of cars ripped apart and never put back together. Start what you know you can finish and do it well.

Consider starting a progress thread about your work and
Old September 6th, 2023, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
Stay focused on projects that can be finished and keep the car drivable. Seen a lot of cars ripped apart and never put back together. Start what you know you can finish and do it well.

Consider starting a progress thread about your work and

I got the car!! I love it!! I don’t think it’s a 24k car, prob 124k but in very good condition and drives great!! I picked up some SSii wheels and had them blasted and powder coated semigloss white (probably paint match when I get the car repainted). I spend summers on the road but I’m looking forward to getting back to it in November.

Right now my only plans are:
- nice stereo
- Fix AC
- headers and mild dual exhaust
- possibly a better carb, just depends on how it runs when adjusted.
- possibly some suspension upgrades
- window tint
- Re paint eventually (original sage green 44)

ll

Powder coated semi gloss white SSii wheels

Old September 6th, 2023, 05:31 PM
Banned

Very cool 👍 It's always nice to see cars go to good homes. Glad you are enjoying it.

I actually like the white wheels. They look good with the white top. I think they look better than if they were body color. To me anyway.
Old September 6th, 2023, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
Very cool 👍 It's always nice to see cars go to good homes. Glad you are enjoying it.

I actually like the white wheels. They look good with the white top. I think they look better than if they were body color. To me anyway.

Agreed!! The white top and beautiful white Supreme embroidered white interior as well. I know paint match is the original vibe but I’ve always fantasized about a car for which white wheels made sense so I was happy to set aside the paint match option for now.

I also polished up all the aluminum beauty ring and trim rings on the wheels as best I could. Probably something I’ll never do again haha. After spending 2 full days trying to sort out the different polishing bars and ordering stuff what I could only get them looking so good. Next time I might just pay a professional to get them
mirror bright and spend my time elsewhere.

I’ll start a new thread at some point, probably named “Sage Green 74 Supreme” or something like it. Keep an eye out and thanks again!!
Old September 6th, 2023, 08:25 PM

Hard to tell for certain but that may be a 24k mile car. The paper decal is still on the oil fill tube. The spare tire is bias ply.

Don:t jump into replacing the carb. It will have a Rochester Quadrajet from the factory. When properly tuned they run very well. Whatever you do, don't exchange your carburetor for a rebuilt one.

Nice car...enjoy it!!!

​​​
Old September 6th, 2023, 08:39 PM

Keep that car dry. Should be no issue in Austin. 73s will rust in half if they look at a thundercloud.
Old September 7th, 2023, 01:53 PM

Hard to tell for certain but that may be a 24k mile car. The paper decal is still on the oil fill tube. The spare tire is bias ply.

Don:t jump into replacing the carb. It will have a Rochester Quadrajet from the factory. When properly tuned they run very well. Whatever you do, don't exchange your carburetor for a rebuilt one.

Nice car...enjoy it!!!

​​​
beat me to it. The car already has the best carb ever made. More than likely it just needs some attention.

I have owned several of those cars, they just glide on the highway. The ideal combination of ride, comfort, and space. Enjoy it!
Old September 7th, 2023, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Keep that car dry. Should be no issue in Austin. 73s will rust in half if they look at a thundercloud.

Nice car...enjoy it!!!

​​​
Originally Posted by matt69olds
beat me to it. The car already has the best carb ever made. More than likely it just needs some attention.

I have owned several of those cars, they just glide on the highway. The ideal combination of ride, comfort, and space. Enjoy it!

Thanks y’all this is all great info!!! I will plan on not replacing the carb rather getting it tuned.

I do love the way it rides although the body rolls a bit much for me, any suggestions off the top of your head? I know Detroit Speed makes really mice multi stage suspension parts kits for it and was thinking about some sway bars.

https://www.detroitspeed.com/platfor...n_and_chassis/

Old September 7th, 2023, 04:25 PM

What tires are on it? Tires make a huge difference in handling. I'm not saying that suspension upgrades don't help, they do. I'd start with tires first though.

I'd add/upgrade sway bars for sure. If Bilstein makes shocks for it, they are incredible.
Old September 7th, 2023, 04:32 PM

Never put extra stuff on until you give the car a fair shake in correct stock condition. Do shocks and springs and I bet it will be enough. If not, get the parts for the 442 suspension and that will be enough.