General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Help! Can't open door on 1967 442

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2016, 05:01 PM

Help! Can't open door on 1967 442

Hi, my door locked shut also. I am having s devil of a time trying to open the door. I locked my door when I left my car (67 442). When I came back to the car I tried the key and it wouldn't unlock. I then went to the passenger side, opened the door and tried to pull the drivers side lock ****. It would move a little. You can hear it clicking like it was going to open, but it would only come up less then half way. The outside door button didn't feel like it was doing anything and the inside door handle would move, but not far enough to unlatch the door. I have tried to remove the inside panel, but can not get it off without totally damaging it. (just replaced them last year). I can move the panel enough to see down inside. I used a hook to try and pop the door latch to no avail. I also used an inspection camera, but am not sure what I should hook and pull. I tried jacking the car, on the frame in the middle of the door. It didn't work. I am lost as to what to do next. Do body shops fix this kind of thing? You guys are always great and have helped me a lot in the past. I really appreciate anything and everything you have done.
Old September 16th, 2016, 06:35 PM

I had this problem in my 67 Supreme. Once I went in through the passenger side and lowered the driver window I could wiggle the door lock **** a little and pull and with in about 15 seconds could get it to open up. It would happen whenever I would lock the door correctly by pushing down **** and holding in exterior thumb button to close door and have it remained locked. If some one would push in that thumb button while the door was locked it would stick the lock every time. Key wouldn't work and I'd have to jiggle the ****. I got pretty good at it and could get it unlocked with about 3 seconds of jiggle/wiggle on the ****. The added bonus was that whenever it would be stuck I'd know someone had tried to open that door while I wasn't around. Having to go back and forth round the car was the bummer.
Wiggle and work the **** I bet it will unlock. Give it a try.
Old September 18th, 2016, 03:20 PM

Hi Texxas, thanks for the reply. I have tried everything. Twisted and turned, pulled and pushed. We tried to remove the door panel inside, but there is no way to do so without severely damaging the panel. I can pop enough of the top of the panel to look down inside. It appears, on the locking rod, to be a clip that attaches to something. I don't know where that attaches or if that is what is keeping the lock from opening. I just can't get the locking rod to come up more than a 1/4 of an inch. I have spent around 10 -12 hours trying to figure this out and open the door. This is really frustrating as I did not see it coming. Never failed before. We have also WED40ed everything. Nothing seems to help. I will fool around with it a bit more tonight. Then I will contact my mechanic tomorrow. Thanks so much for trying.
Old September 18th, 2016, 06:42 PM

If you've gotten it where you can see down in there to the latch it should be fairly easy to use a slimjim or homemade version of a slimjim (piece of stiff wire) to trip the lock and open the door. If you can't tell how it works through the small opening you have made, pull the passenger door panel and familiarize yourself with the latch/lock operation then try to trip the stuck lock. If you can't I'd think most any locksmith should be able to slimjim it open. It's a real easy car to do this on. Good luck with it.

PS In the future if you want more response on a question, start your own thread instead of "bogarting" somebody's 6 year old ancient history thread.
Old September 18th, 2016, 07:07 PM

OK, its in a new thread now and might get more attention.

About 10 years ago I had the same problem on a 1967 Cutlass. From what I can remember there was a small diameter wire spring, maybe 4 coils. This had rusted and broken and everything I tried failed to work. Until I pulled the seat, then pulled the door panel, and then was able to open the door.

If you take it to a mechanic, will he be able to do more than you can as far as taking things apart? John
Old September 23rd, 2016, 08:18 AM

Hi, I finally took to a mechanic. He opened it within 10 mins. He was much more aggressive with it and used 2 long screwdriver type pry bars. So we have ordered a new latch assembly. The door opens and closes ok, but will stick if the lock is used. I was so afraid we have to cut up the panel. Anyhow he didn't charge me anything. Thanks for all the suggestions and help.
Old September 23rd, 2016, 08:54 AM

Thanks for getting back with your outcome. So many people ask for help and members give advice and then crickets chirping is all you get and we never know the final result. It's funny how some one who doesn't own the car can be "more aggressive" with it. Glad it worked out and you got that door opened and were charged my favorite price too.
Old September 24th, 2016, 09:35 PM

I had the same problem on occasion with my 1971 Cutlass convertible. I just had to aggressively pulled up and down on the lock push **** several times and it would unlock. I also sprayed WD-40 down in the door around the lock mechanism and that seemed to help keep it from happening again for a while.