General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Help with 1957 Olds Super 88 Front Shock Install

Search this Thread

Old December 25th, 2021, 07:45 AM

Help with 1957 Olds Super 88 Front Shock Install

Hi to all,
I have a 1957 Olds Super 88 that I am doing a body on frame restoration. Right now the engine and transmission are out of the vehicle. Other than replacing tie rod ends, we did not rebuild the front suspension as it was tight and in good condition.
I went to install the front shock absorbers and I am trouble getting them to fit. The new shocks are the same height as the old ones when fully extended. When I go to install them, the top of the shock, where the bushing and hole opening are, are about 1/2 below the hole on the shock tower. There are no brakes or drums on the front spindles as they are yet to be replaced. The vehicle is on a lift and supported under the frame.
I have tried several ways to move the lower control arm up, but with no success. This has included lowering the vehicle so that the rear of the vehicle is on it's wheels and placing the front spindles on jack stands. This did not work. All this did was raise the car off of the lift at the front. Any ideas or suggestion or telling me what I am doing wrong would be much appreciated.
Thank you.
Old December 25th, 2021, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Wait until there is more weight added to the vehicle so you can raise the lower control arm.
Old December 25th, 2021, 09:18 AM

You could use a spring compressor to shorten the coils, then use some very stout wire (I used wire coat hanger) to wire the coils in the conpressed state. Remove the compressor and iInstall the shocks, then realease the wire - carefully..........
Old December 25th, 2021, 09:31 AM
Old(s) Fart

Just wait until the drivetrain is back in the frame. Anything else will be half-fast and potentially dangerous.
Old December 25th, 2021, 10:45 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I have a hard time believing coat hanger wire would hold the springs. Do what Joe said. You are not going to drive it until the engine is in anyway.
Old December 25th, 2021, 12:04 PM

Agree waiting is best. If you get them installed and then release the spring tension or remove the weight the shock will be keeping everything compressed under tension and the shock may break or worse yet unleash unexpectedly. Wait...
Old December 25th, 2021, 12:37 PM

Error in procedure. Never do suspension work without the full weight of the car. You'll fight yourself for no reason.
Old December 26th, 2021, 07:50 AM

Hi to all,

Thanks to all for your feedback. I will wait to install the shocks until after the engine and trans are it.

Joe