General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Heavy Hearted Tonight

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2014, 05:13 PM

Heavy Hearted Tonight

The Rallye 350 sold tonight. I am very happy that it is sold and looking forward to other Oldsmobile related things to come. My heavy heart is from all the memories that have come rushing back to me tonight. 24 years of memories to be exact but mostly the first 12 (age 15 to 27). My best friend is taking it worse than I am. He was almost in tears as we were sharing memories. It is not the car that we are so attached to, it is the memories that selling it made us remember. It is almost worth selling it just to refresh all the times we had. This would have never happened if i had keeped it. We took the car for granted because it was always around. It was to the point it was being neglected.

I am just having a hard time tonight and not sure I understand why it is so bad. Mid life thing maybe?
Old February 28th, 2014, 05:24 PM

I feel for you. Hang in there, you will feel better day by day.
Old February 28th, 2014, 05:27 PM

Cars can be like an old friend because of the memories. I remember coming across my car
in an auto wreck yard. It had been wrapped around a telephone pole or something very few miles after I traded it in. I was devastated, it represented all the fun I had in my youth.
After getting broadsided with my Cutlass (my next car) I then realized it was the people and not the car that's important. Sounds like you still have a good friend you can share some future adventures with.
Old February 28th, 2014, 05:41 PM

Eric I hope your pockets are as heavy as your heart. Congrats on the sale. It is never easy parting with an old friend but you are on a new adventure. Enjoy the ride.
Old February 28th, 2014, 06:25 PM
Just an Olds Guy

It's always like that after the sale. On the + side, keep those memories alive. The car will go on to make someone else some great memories too. One of the memories you can now hold dear is the R350 gave you the $$ to finish the W30. What better gift could you ask for? Soon you and the W30 will be starting a new chapter in Olds memories with your family.
Old February 28th, 2014, 06:37 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The memories are great, and so important, but the car is going to someone who will treat it better than you could, and, like your Olds, you are always moving forward, so after this quick check in your rearview mirror, you'll be able to move ahead down the road and enjoy the rest of the cruise.

- Eric
Old February 28th, 2014, 06:50 PM
Registered Luser

Congrats on the sale! Time to create new memories in the other cars you have....
Old February 28th, 2014, 07:07 PM

It'll get better. You just enacted a big decision. Where is it going?
Old February 28th, 2014, 07:21 PM

Paid it forward

Imagine how much you just made this persons day. It is a new chapter in the life of the car and new owner. A win win in my book.
Old February 28th, 2014, 07:43 PM

The car is going to Wisconsin. it is paid in full but i have to store it till late April.

Allan, This money will likely be going to another Oldsmobile. I am on a mission to not spend any money on the W-30 outside of the barn find cars and parts or other parts cars I get. We have a 5-8 year long term plan. If all goes well we will get to keep the blue W-30 but we very well may have to let it go also after it is done. There is another car (if still available) we are very interested in. My plan is to get that one (or one like it) and store it till the blue car is done. Then we will be focused on paying off the house even if that requires selling the blue W-30. Then after the house is paid off we will build the other car. May sound crazy and it will not likely go exactly as planned but one way or another we will get our house paid off in under 8 years. The only thing ruled out is selling the jetfire. We enjoy that car more than any oldsmobile we ever had.
Old February 28th, 2014, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Gary M
Imagine how much you just made this persons day. It is a new chapter in the life of the car and new owner. A win win in my book.
And he made my day. He commented how good it ran and drove and how nice the body work was. He was very pleased with how tight it was.

Thanks everyone.
Old February 28th, 2014, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Well done, I know how you feel. My cure after selling the Plymouth was to fix up the Cutlass. Looks like you have direction and some goals.
Old February 28th, 2014, 08:50 PM

Use the money from the sale of the car and contact a therapist. Or be a man and buy another Olds project
Old March 1st, 2014, 04:19 AM

Options..Hmmm?

Lets see: A) (therapist)... blaa blaa blaa... empty wallet, left with nothing. OR B) (project)..empty wallet but left with Tire Smoke Therapy available as needed. I vote for B
Old March 1st, 2014, 05:46 AM
Old School Olds

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
The car is going to Wisconsin. it is paid in full but i have to store it till late April.

Allan, This money will likely be going to another Oldsmobile. I am on a mission to not spend any money on the W-30 outside of the barn find cars and parts or other parts cars I get. We have a 5-8 year long term plan. If all goes well we will get to keep the blue W-30 but we very well may have to let it go also after it is done. There is another car (if still available) we are very interested in. My plan is to get that one (or one like it) and store it till the blue car is done. Then we will be focused on paying off the house even if that requires selling the blue W-30. Then after the house is paid off we will build the other car. May sound crazy and it will not likely go exactly as planned but one way or another we will get our house paid off in under 8 years. The only thing ruled out is selling the jetfire. We enjoy that car more than any oldsmobile we ever had.
Sounds like a solid plan Eric.
There is nothing like owning your own home
with no more mortgage payments. Good luck sir.
Old March 1st, 2014, 11:09 AM

I can understand why you're feeling heavy hearted. I couldn't pull the trigger on selling my car. It would be like having to put a pet down.
Old March 1st, 2014, 12:02 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Although I haven't yet sold my car . One of my close friends did. He sold his El Camino he had for 10 years. I helped him with the body work and painted it one winter . We actually went to the world of wheels last night and where talking about his long gone El camino . Alot of memories and good times . The car maybe gone but you have a life time of memories. My fiancé almost sold her k5 blazer and it damn near brought me to tears Lots of good times off roading and getting called in the middle of the night to pull out someone who was stuck . Its the reason we met. Congrats on the sale .
Old March 1st, 2014, 01:10 PM

My cure for feeling better after a sale is..........well, I just don't sale. Rolled my first car, second owner of that 70 Cutlass. Wish I had her back. As it has been said here, memories are thick with our cars. Look forward to what you get done on your project.....and I vote "B" for Tire Smoke Therapy.
Old April 26th, 2014, 11:24 AM

He picked it up today. I am very happy with my decision to sell it. I found my next car but will not have it home for a while. My friend is excited also. He will be going with me to pick it up later this year sometime. He was not happy I sold the Rallye but wants to be part of it's replacement.

The Rallye 350 never ran better than it does right now. I tinkered on it for a month before he bought it and have it dialed in great. I should have done that years ago. Another lesson this car taught me...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_6302.jpg (76.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_6305.jpg (81.5 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by jensenracing77; April 26th, 2014 at 11:26 AM.