General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Heating my garage

Search this Thread

Old December 17th, 2013, 10:57 AM

Heating my garage

I have a 22x25 2 car garage that I would like heat,something portable and not to expensive. My garage is insulated but not heated,what are some of you guys using?what do you guys recommend? Home Depot as a 40000 btu for a $100 I heard they are a bit noisy but work.

What do you guys think?
Thanks
Old December 17th, 2013, 11:06 AM

The choices are literally endless. It all depends on what you are willing to spend, and your own preferences. I know that it's not portable, but I'm personally partial to a wood stove, but that is because that is what my father used in his garage. Once lit, with a fan running on low behind it, it will heat that space nicely.

Kerosene heat works great, but can give off fumes.
Electric heaters are very inexpensive to buy, but the cheaper ones will really burn you on your bill.

There are just too many choices to count.
Old December 17th, 2013, 11:09 AM

I use the Torpedo style in my garage- noisy but kicks the heat out almost instantly. The newer ones only seem to "smell" after you shut them off and they offer multi fuel options.
Old December 17th, 2013, 12:13 PM

Steve,

Be cautious about the bullet style heaters propane, kerosene ect, as they tend to take alot of the oxegen out of the air when they are heating. Be sure to crack a wondow when using any kind of those type of heaters buddy.
Old December 17th, 2013, 12:19 PM
72 Olds CS

Ive got the propane tank heater works good much less stink than the torpedo kero heaters (I used to have one) but still has the low 02 concerns.

I saw a pellet stove that fits in a window like an AC unit, this would seem to be good it has an exhaust outside so no o2 concerns or smell easy to start and shut off easy to installl and remove and its not an uncontrolled heat source like a wood stove...downside was cost about $1300 !!!
Old December 17th, 2013, 01:12 PM

how about those amish electric heater I heard they work well
Old December 17th, 2013, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by wgonzo64
how about those amish electric heater I heard they work well

lol... listen to stick31, any flame heater should be vented outside, too much exposure and it will get you high/ with a headache. they all create co2 which kills. they also introduce moisture into the air. I ran a propane torpedo for a while and it would get fumey and give me headaches, then I got cheap and put in a wood stove, free heat after initial purchase. Or get a gas modine and hang it in the upper corner. And there electric but they suck major power. Gas fuel heats water/air most efficiently....basically
Old December 17th, 2013, 03:00 PM

Another thing to consider, any heater with a flame and not vented adds a lot of humidity to the air. For occasional use not a big deal. For maintaining a certain temp constantly the extra humidity will cause things in the garage to rust, like thinner cans, tools, any metal that is unprotected and prone to rust. Yes I learned this the hard way.
I have a 20x30 shop, even though it is not all that "tight" I can EASILY heat it with an unvented natural gas open flame wall heater. But the result is as mentioned. So I use a Modine vented 80% efficient heater instead. The blue flame is now for "just in case the power goes out" and I still need heat.

Mike
Old December 17th, 2013, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Lars
...they all create co2 which kills.
CO, carbon monoxide, is the killer.

I'm doing a Williams 65k-BTU natural-gas heater for my 4-car detached. Sealed combustion unit, draws air in from outside. Mounts between 16" C-C studs.
Old December 17th, 2013, 03:50 PM

I have used a propane torpedo type heater for years, they are noisy but I set mine up and let it warm up the garage before I go out, I do crack the back door open just a little while it's running to let some fresh air it.
You do have to restart it about once an hour to keep it warm but it's cheap and it works.
Old December 17th, 2013, 04:13 PM

Another benefit of the propane heaters is that you can heat specific things or areas faster. I built a mini shed around a fresh engine to heat the entire thing for paint. Worked great. We had an upright propane heater also, work site heater, which worked great for heating the valve covers to very hot... followed by setting the oily deposits afire with the torch, then fueling that fire with compressed air.... which burned ALL the deposits out with no ill effect. Watched the glow proceed down the cavity until done. Took about 3 lbs out of each cover.

Of course, they can also set fire to things pretty easily.

Overhead gas fired or work site floor type gas fired would be best.

Wood is great for long term and if you can stand the incessant ashes, tending, getting more, etc. thing.
Old December 17th, 2013, 04:18 PM

Thanks for the the input guys. I think I might go with some sort of propane heater as this will be for occasional use. Ill just leave both or one of the garage doors open a foot or so.

Thanks guys!
Old December 17th, 2013, 04:29 PM

Be careful and not heat things (Car) up to fast. It will sweat and even have frost on the frame and engine block. Especially with kerosene and portable propane heaters. Like said, they will cause moisture and everything will sweat including tools. Been there. I use a pellet stove and its dry heat and slow to heat up. Electric and wood would be the same. The gas modine type units are forced air and vent outside are not a problem. Still, heat it up slow.
Old December 17th, 2013, 04:58 PM
Senior Moment Member

I put a Defiant/Encore in my house. When I moved, I put it in the new garage. I can tell you it is a great wood stove. I stoke it and come back out in a half hour and you can take your coat off. The cost was pricey but since I had it already I thought what the hey. Never had a problem with fumes. It is flued through the ceiling.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old December 17th, 2013, 05:14 PM

I heat my 20x20 detached with two electric oil radiators. Like others have said, it isn't cheap! But it keeps me around 60 degrees when it's 10 outside. And this type of heater doesn't have any exposed elements so no danger of exploding sawdust and seems to be okay with brake fluid fumes. I ran a gas line from the propane tank this summer and am planning on getting a modine soon. I have a lot of power tools including a table saw and can't risk the moisture issues with the other flame heaters.
Old December 17th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Senior Moment Member

Is there a moisture issue with a wood burning stove? I have never had a problem with mine. The place is so well insulated that sometimes when it has been cold and then gets warm outside, I'll open my door and the cars and everything else get fogged. Damnit!
Cadillac Cyclone

Old December 17th, 2013, 05:29 PM

I have a hanging natural gas heater. My garage is 800 sf with ten foot ceilings. When we get below zero (now I guess) my bill for the garage (I have a separate meter) runs around $70 a month. I keep it at seventy degrees all the time because I hate a wet cement slab. These heaters are under $500 but do require some skills to install. I also do some painting so mine has spark ignition rather than a pilot.

Cheers, Mike
Old December 17th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Olds Nut

i put a 75K btu propane heater for a house in my garage. scratch and dent unit for $75, $20 propane change over kit, $ 300 for duct work, and thermostat. Not included was propane tank and propane my garage quiet as a church mouse. thermostat set to 55 degrees cost about $300 worth of propane a year. I kick the temp up as needed when working in garage.
Old December 17th, 2013, 06:29 PM
Senior Moment Member

Originally Posted by m455sx
i put a 75K btu propane heater for a house in my garage. scratch and dent unit for $75, $20 propane change over kit, $ 300 for duct work, and thermostat. Not included was propane tank and propane my garage quiet as a church mouse. thermostat set to 55 degrees cost about $300 worth of propane a year. I kick the temp up as needed when working in garage.

That sounds like a really nice setup.

Old December 17th, 2013, 08:37 PM

I used propane in my existing two car. Heat was quick , getting propane was a nuisance. I hated the moisture I put I the air.

I added a 24x36 garage tie year. 2x6 walls, great insulation in walls and ceilings, sheet rocked, quality windows and doors. I hung 5000 watt electic heater from the ceiling. It was 10 outside and it was 60 inside. Friday nights I turn heat on the lowest possible setting. Will be 50 when i go into the garage. I crank it up to high and I'm at 60 within an hour. At max setting it costs about $.80 per hour.

Heater was a Black Friday special. 240 marked down to 75 with free shipping. The wire and breaker cost me more than the heater.

I bought two in case one wasnt enough, I'm not going to bother hanging the second one.

And, I never have to run out for fuel.

I originally planned for a window pellet stove because I already have pellets on hand. The reviews on them are horrible.
Old December 18th, 2013, 05:30 AM
Trying to remember member

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...g-options.html
Old December 18th, 2013, 07:38 PM

I purchased a window unit Heater/Air Conditioner from Walmart.com a few years ago. It cost about $600 to buy and was an easy install into a hole cut into the wall to make it permanent. Its big enough to cool a 24x24 garage. Runs on 220v and we only noticed an average of $15/month increase in our bill. In the winter I set it at 55, its lowest setting until I go out to work. In the summer its cooling at 75 until I go out and lower it to work. The best thing is it works as a dehumidifier as well, taking the moisture out of the garage.
Old December 18th, 2013, 09:54 PM

Don't care what you heat with but... CYA

Did you know that if you have an unapproved heat source, have a subsequent fire and suffer financial losses your homeowners insurance most likely isn't going to pay?

Check with your homeowners Insurance agent and go over your options before you do anything.

Caveat: No I don't work for or even like insurance companies. No one in my family does either.

Last edited by 47 Convertible; December 18th, 2013 at 09:57 PM. Reason: clarify
Old December 19th, 2013, 04:53 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by 47 Convertible
Did you know that if you have an unapproved heat source, have a subsequent fire and suffer financial losses your homeowners insurance most likely isn't going to pay?

Check with your homeowners Insurance agent and go over your options before you do anything.

Caveat: No I don't work for or even like insurance companies. No one in my family does either.
Great point!
I am putting in s 75000BTU Propane heater into my shop....I am installing it and will be approved and inspected by an accredited installer. I then submit that inspection report to my insurance company, who in turn will do a site inspection. Then, and only then is everything covered.
Old December 19th, 2013, 05:59 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I was thinking of doing wood burning stove in my garage. Cheap kit with 55 gal drum ran well under 100. Only downside is it's not approved and you never know what can happen. I decided to get a torpedo heater and run diesel . I had a thread on wood burning heaters lots of good info on there on cheap heat solutions.