General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Got my records today

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2018, 07:57 PM

Got my records today

I have been waiting on my Army records from the Archives for a long time like 8 months. I was 10% disabled getting out of the Army in 1969. My health is not good right now with my Kidneys and eyes going bad. I got sick in Korea and just now trying to get started back on it. The records show I had Liver damage and no G G shot the last 6 months there that's when I got
Hepatitis and almost died there. Its off too my VA on Monday well see if I get help. I do have Ins.
Old January 26th, 2018, 08:05 PM

Wishing you the best Gerald. My Dad was in WWII and 25% disabled when discharged. Then he began to decline in the late 1950's, by early 1960's he had a doctor supporting him for service connected disability. He had to fight for several years to get his VA benefits but he was able to get it. I hope your able to as well. John
Old January 26th, 2018, 08:35 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Gerald:

Good luck with all that and Thank You for your service.
Old January 26th, 2018, 10:34 PM

Gerald, if you were in Michigan, I would give you the contact info for the gentleman at the V.A. that helped my brother, a Vietnam vet, out. Did not take long to get his benefits for agent orange caused ALS. Good luck, and take care.
Old January 26th, 2018, 11:25 PM

One more thing they are testing Korean Vets for Agent Orange as they sprayed in the North were I was stationed. I got to get tested again for that you never know. I didn't know they spray in Korea.
Old January 27th, 2018, 05:16 AM

Best Wishes, I wish I could help you. Perhaps some charities that help veterans, and/or your congressman could be of help?
Old January 27th, 2018, 06:25 AM
Maintained

Sorry to hear this Gerald. Best wishes on your health care.
Old January 27th, 2018, 06:51 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Our neighbour back home, one day just couldn't walk anymore, still a fairly young man at the time. He had so many bullet fragments in his back from WW2 that one did him, he never walked again. People forget the mental scares. A neighbour of my Mom's committed suicide after his girlfriend left him. He was a veteran who spent time in the awful Japanese prison camps in WW2. When the Priest and Catholic church wouldn't bury him or preform a service, my Grandfather left the church. He was a man of principal, he would always leave when God save our King was played, no doubt being Irish was the reason. My Uncle Frank could never get over being the only man left alive in his battalion and a headless soldier running by him in WW2, he served from 1939 to 45, he was no doubt a part of the brutal push against the Italian's by the Western Canadian forces. I sure hope the US government treats you guys right defending your country, sometimes with the ultimate sacrifice.
Old January 27th, 2018, 01:55 PM

Thank You as I'm still putting all my papers together for my case. I even have a paper from one of my Doc. saying my kidney problems is from my liver.
Old January 28th, 2018, 07:58 AM

I do not agree with Bernie Sanders on much of anything, except that he said that good health care for vets should be an anticipated cost of war. There were many heroes in the service, and there were some losers, and there were many who saw and experienced horrible things, and some just coasted stateside, but I think the VA treats them all horribly. Government run agencies usually stink. Enough soapbox for me.

Cancer got a guy I knew, a Korean vet. Knifemaker out of South Carolina, a good man. Stay on top of this, Gerald, don't give up.
Old January 28th, 2018, 10:30 AM
Phantom Phixer

Gerald ,
Good documentation is essential , when dealing with the VA . Get as many medical records as possible together when presenting your claim .
Did you serve in Vietnam ? There is a list of 14 or so diseases "presumed " to be caused by "Agent Orange " a defoliant . Among them are cancer , heart disease , diabetes , etc. There were also other places where "Agent Orange" was sprayed among them was Thailand , and Korea .
There are several advocates that will help you present your claim . The Disabled American Veterans (DAV) has offices at many major VA hospitals Also contact your local American Legion Post . Someone there will steer you towards help.
Don't contact one of these "TV lawyers" for help unless you like sharing one-third of the money with them . They will do the same job as the DAV does and the DAV won't charge you a nickel.
Old January 28th, 2018, 11:02 AM

got my records

Gerald Good luck with everything you are going through. Thank You and everyone else that has served our country. Bassinguy
Old January 28th, 2018, 12:08 PM

Hey Gerald. Hoping you receive the proper medical help you need from the VA and private medical services. I did not know that Agent Orange was used in Korea. I guess just another one of those things your own government keeps secret and politicians do not want known. Hopefully our government and politicians will take better care of those they send into battle so that veteran NGO's do not need to ask private citizens for contributions - especially when the taxes paid by these same citizens are suppose to help veterans who were sent to the many hot spots and chosen confrontations by questionable officials and politicians.
Old January 28th, 2018, 02:16 PM
W30

Hope all goes good for you, and thank you for your service. Good luck!!