General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Good Olds deals you've gotten

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2009, 10:38 AM

Good Olds deals you've gotten

Hello, 64Rocket posted a Cutlass deal he bought. That started me thinking about some of my deals over he years, I've had a few. Here's an "oddball" one. About 8 years ago I saw an add, "78 Seville, Olds engine" Hmmm? I called. Car has been sitting for 3 years since E-check came in the Akron. He wanted $1000 for it. Car was 50 miles away. It had been his Father's car. Car was loaded with options but rough. He had put a rebuilt G-headed 455 in it with headers (leaked bad) braided oil lines with dual oil remote oil filters, MSD box, Preformer intake Holley carb and fuel pump, Erson cam & Comps rocker arms and 3/8's pushrods. He had the engine built by a shop in Akron and they did a good job. Heads had new guides, valves, springs and the black anodized 3/8's pushrods and they didn't have any marks from rubbing the heads and a .501 lift cam as I recall. Engine ran good, great oil pressure. it had a small converter, new 400 short shaft trans and he had put a ford 9" rearend with Moser axles. He had gauges all over this car. Oil & vacumn under the hood and inside, tach also. He had cut out the rear floor pans so the mufflers didn't drag. Anyhow, the body was rough plus he went through a divorce plus because of E-check he couldn't get plates to drive it so it sat outside for 3 years. We made a deal, he kept the 4:10 posi center section and I paid him $600 for the car. I sitill have the engine on my "engine" pile. and the trans. I had G-body brackets put on the rearend (still have it too.) I sold the bumpers, hood, etc. I made more off the car than I paid him. I ebay'd the parts and they were bought up like "Hotcakes!" Cadillac stuff sells. I sold the tilt/telecopic steering column for $150. factory gauges for over $100, yada, yada. Even the Brouham emblems went $40. When I was done picking it's bones I crushed it. That was one of my better deals. I'm sure a lot of you have sme good ones also. Later, Ken
Old March 30th, 2009, 10:47 AM

My first cutlass cruiser was a freebie from my dad. sbc350 ran like the dikkins until a friend wrapped it around 6 or 7 poles in a single laps of stupidity, with me sitting shotgun.
Old March 30th, 2009, 12:09 PM

Kennybill, you certainly spurred my memory! Back in the early 80's I bought a 68 Cutlass minus motor and tranny for $100. My plan was to transplant one of my spare 350 motors into it and sell it for profit. Before that happened, people started making parts offers; 2 front doors sold for $75 each, bumpers for $50 each, torn bucket seats for $50, rear seat for $25, headlight buckets for $100, rear end for $100, and more that I don't remember. Then somehow, I sold the remainder to a junkyard for $25 after removing all good trim, interior hardware, and lights and gages! Then there's the 71 Vista Cruiser that I bought for $100 only because it had 4 new tires. Used it for a dump hauler for a month, swapped 4 old tires, the battery, the carb, several lights, then loaded it up with garbage (saving the cost of a dumpster) and sold it to the junkyard for $25. I have yet to lose money on any Olds that I have owned. But years ago, these cars came cheap. Ah, the good old days............
Old March 30th, 2009, 06:16 PM

My first olds is the one I have now, 64 F85 convertible for $1000.00 runs and drives. Much better now that I dropped in the 455 and turbo 350.
Old March 30th, 2009, 07:45 PM

Well first I paid $1500 for my wagon pretty much like this
ebay378.jpg
Then we bought the wife's wagon for $2500 like this.
100_0450.jpg
Then I boght this engine off of Ebay for $400
100_0507.jpg
It's a 350 with roller tipped rockers and appears to have a cam in it plus the Edelbrock intake. It really does run great except for a vacuum leak I have yet to fix.
Old March 30th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Registered Luser

Best Olds deal I got was my '84 Delta 88 Bro 4dr in '90 with 70,000 mi on it for $325....like I've said before one of the best and one of my favorite cars I've had! Put about another 80k on it before the timing chain gave up! Replaced it drove it another 20k, sold it to a friend who drove it about 40k before he sold it...yeah, I'd say we got our money's worth! Who said 307's were boat anchors? More like "Sherman Tanks"...
Old March 31st, 2009, 11:57 AM
I am "74omega" NO SPACE

Every olds deal has been a good one for me . Sometimes I get lucky as in "right place at the right time" or just plain old good bargains I hunt for.

In fact every Olds transaction I have had has been through Craigslist.

1. my olds omega I bought for $2000

2. edelbrock intake for $80 in which the guy gave me FREE #5 heads

3. a 403 complete longblock for $50

4. a 455 with comp cams roller valvetrain, rebuilt heads,brand new edelbrock cam,torker 455 intake, mallory unilite and coil, carter afb,hardin covers and edelbrock finned air cleaner and basset marine water injected headers for $300
Old March 31st, 2009, 12:26 PM

i've only had one so far. my 1977 Delta 88 Indy Pace Car. my dad got it when i was about 4 and we've put about 4 motors in it now. funny story we sold it when we moved down to where i am and 2 years later ran accros it and bought it back
Old March 31st, 2009, 01:07 PM

Thumbs up Good Deals.

I got a #6 1969 W-34 Toroando parts car, back inthe Summer of 1992 for $500.
Got a crappy #6 green 68 Toronado parts car , back in 1989 or 1990 for only $200. Both Toronados are LONG GONE. All I have left from teh 1969 is the 400hp 455 with teh OM code tranny and diffretial.

The one the top it all, was back in Oct of 2007 when I got my green 1995 Aurora (but this car had major issues). My girlfriend made me sell it. Please see link.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2972018
Old March 31st, 2009, 02:56 PM

I bought a posi rear end out of a Nova at a little junk yard from a guy with a norwegian accent. I said how much for the Nova rear end. He said "I"ll have to get ten dollars for it if I help you pull it out"
Old March 31st, 2009, 03:30 PM

olds oldsmoblie 455 c heads

$400.00
heads have the comp cams magnum rocker kit. kit cost at summit $289.95. in the kit is the comp magnum roller tip rockers part# 1442-16 frees up to 15-30 hp.
comp cams pushrod guideplates 5/16 part# 4842
comp cams screw in 3/8s studs.
heads also have teflon valve seals that were machined down to .530

comp cams dual valve springs rated at .575 valve lift.

just paid for em today too
Old March 31st, 2009, 08:49 PM

Talking 85 cutlass salon

A friend of mine recently came up to me and said he found a parts car for my 83 cutlass supreme. I came up with the $200 for the car and $60 for the car trailer and $30 for my friends gas. I called the guy up and said I'll take it (without even seeing the car first). When I got there I found It was a 85 cutlass SALON. The car was WAY cleaner than the one I had and it was loaded. It has a sunroof,passenger mirror adjuster,new headers(paint still on them),flex fan,aluminum fan spacer,new electric fuel pump,a extra drivers door with a new skin already installed,and 2 extra steering columns. After I got the car home I went on online to find out about the stereo deck. I found one on ebay for $450 WOW. I also found all the original papers in the glove box. I am now driving this car and using my old one for parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_0626.jpg (54.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg
100_0618.jpg (65.4 KB, 5 views)
Old March 31st, 2009, 09:13 PM

In 1982 I bought a 1971 Cutlass S for $800, that got me to noticing Oldsmobiles. A couple months later I spotted a bright yellow car with the same shape peeking out of the blackberry vines alongside the highway. It turned out to be a Rallye 350 that the ranchers son purchased for the muncie 4 speed, then pushed it out in the bushes to fade away. The car had started it's life on the Oregon Coast so the salt air had rust growing all over it. I bought it for $50 getting everything but the transmission. That's when my addiction to this hobby really began! John
Old March 31st, 2009, 10:22 PM
Ca's Only Official OLZNUT

My 66 442. I got it for free from the tow yard I used to work at. Found a correct 400 for it, complete short block off ebay for $330, cost $200 to repair broken starter mount, thermo clean and make sure it's re-buildable. Free set of W/Z manifolds
Old April 1st, 2009, 04:14 AM

My first and current Olds. 1970 Cutlass S Holiday Coupe. Car wasn't even for sale. I saw it sitting in a driveway in an area where houses had been bought up and were being torn down. Thought a car restoration might be fun and one day decided to stop and ask what their plans were for the car. Flat bedded it home in Dec 07. According to the owner the car had been sitting for about 3 years. Original 350 had been replaced by a 67 330. New battery and a little gas down the carb and after a couple tries she fired up and ran smooth as could be.

Last edited by sklbndt; August 24th, 2009 at 03:22 PM. Reason: additional info
Old April 4th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Captain of my ship

Smile my 69 Olds

I guess you could say that my 1969 Olds 98 converible is the best deal I have gotten. When my dad passed away he left me his 29 model A leatherback. It was a really nice car but not really my kind of car and he knew that so he always told me that if I wanted to sell or trade it it was up to me. I had a lot of possible trades that I could have made and was close to getting a 69 Cougar XR7 with a 351 , but the guy wanted an extra $5000 for the car even though it needed a lot of interior work. The frame was not real solid so I backed away from that deal. Then I found a guy who was a collecter of old cars and had a couple he wanted me to look at as possible trades. I went there and looked at what he was offering but did not like either one , 56 Pontiac and a 64 Merc. My girlfriend spotted this car peeking out from under a car cover that was too short ( I don't think they make them long enough for this car , though I have one for an SUV that I can stretch to fit ) He did not want to part with it since his wife really liked it and considered it her car , but i talked to her and asked them to come and look at the Model A. They came down the following weekend and checked it out and afterward he talked her into trading the Olds for the Model A with an old car trailer that was used for the model A . The Olds would not fit on it as it is 3 feet too long and I was only going to sell it so we agreed on a deal. The next weekend I towed the trailer and car up to the city and we traded even , the girlfried drove the truck home and I drove the Olds. It worked great the whole trip , about 2 hours so I was pretty happy cause I knew it was solid underneath and had low milage , though it had an oil leak and power steering leak that made the motor and engine bay really dirty and gummed up. That is my winter project and hopefully it will be back on the road in another month or 2.
Old April 4th, 2009, 09:48 AM
70 hulk

my first olds is the one i drive now, bought it from a ohio state football player,1990"s player he was moving and said he had to sale it, he was second owner he only put on 100 miles on it and it sat in his garage 4 years, it was green of course my wife favorite color she fell in love with it as soon as she seen it ,som i offered 2250.00 lower than he wanted he said sure, only thing ive done is tires so far hoping to get some body and painting done soon,but i drive every where best 2250.00 iv spent,grand kids love it tooooooo,