General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Good news re: Flint MI

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2016, 08:25 AM

Good news re: Flint MI

Hook yourself up a simple water injection nozzle on your engine and not only do you have detonation problems averted and cleaner cylinders, but you can use dirt cheap Flint water and it's like having leaded gas- valves should last forever.

oy vey...
Old February 6th, 2016, 08:29 AM
Senior Moment Member

Our esteemed leader has promised them 80 million dollars to help fix their problem. Trouble is, they were slated to get the money anyway from the Feds. Empty rhetoric. Again.
Old February 6th, 2016, 08:55 AM

1) all this started to save like $100 a day in treatment or hookup fees or something.

2) at no time did it occur to anyone in the water treatment profession to oh I don't know, check the water after the new setup was in place. Or, they did, and supressed that nasty knowledge.

3) Lead pipes for SUPPLY- WTH? OK, sure, that was installed 100 yrs ago when that was normal practice and why not, it works just fine. Wait, didn't Romans also have issues with lead pipes somewhat more than 100 yrs ago?

4) fun fact- I chanced to be walking across MSU campus many yrs ago, and the pavillion was busy on this hot summer day. Stopped in to see what was going on. Dozens and dozens of folks furiously chiseling open lead pipe samples. Supervisors attending the doors and the activity. What's all this, I inquires... Well, says the man, this here is the Plumber's Certificate final exam, make sure they are competent. Oh, I says, interesting, why pray tell are they working on LEAD PIPES- are they still in use?!?! Supervisor man says, well, you know, not in new construction, but they exist and need repair now and then. Oh and by the way this is the last year that lead pipe joinery will be required for the MI plumbing exam. This took place way back in like 1984 or so I think.

So, who's next? How many more cities still run your water to you via lead pipes?
Old February 6th, 2016, 09:43 AM

Back in the 80's Toronto hired a company to spray concrete through all pipelines made of lead. I worked on the repair end of the equipment and these guys sprayed miles upon miles of pipe.This was a quick fix until the city could replace the lead pipe.
Steve
Old February 6th, 2016, 10:13 AM
Senior Moment Member

Our infrastructure is crumbling with no tax revenue directed toward fixing it. How is Flint going to collect $1.4 billion dollars to revamp their water system? They're not. Just like every other city with problems. There is nothing but poverty in the great rust belt of the northern cities with attendant problems with people on the dole with no job prospects. People want to work, there just aren't the manufacturing jobs there once was. Hence no tax revenue. I guess they need to move to China. All the major northern cities are going the way of Detroit. Look at Chicago. 100 billion in unfunded liabilities! Oh wait, that's the state of Ill Noise.
Old February 6th, 2016, 10:59 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I specifically remember a certain presidential candidate back in 2008 promising that Detroit would become the auto capital of the world again. He only has a little over 10 months to make that happen. These cities like Detroit and Flint have huge social and economic problems. The auto industry is not going to return and these cites just become a vast wasteland. I think Chicago is somewhat a different story. I believe waste and corruption are the biggest problems there.
Old February 6th, 2016, 11:12 AM
Senior Moment Member

I work in Chicago. Corruption is unbelievable. ANYTHING you want to get done requires a bribe on the back end. I've moved my main location to Florida ridding myself of the backbreaking property taxes I was paying to live in Ill Noise. The huge social and economic problems stem from the fact there are no more manufacturing jobs here. They are in China. The people want to work, there just aren't any jobs. Hence they go on the dole and become parasites. Chicago has such humungous pension obligations that there's no way out except to raise property taxes even further which leads to an exodus of business and people. Those who can leave, do. Those who can't become the parasites.
Old February 11th, 2016, 12:08 PM

Speaking of corruption - I have heard that some who are receiving free bottled water in Flint are returning the water to local stores for cash back!
Old February 11th, 2016, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by tangokilo
Speaking of corruption - I have heard that some who are receiving free bottled water in Flint are returning the water to local stores for cash back!
Reminds me of the post-Katrina FEMA debit card debacle...