General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Good news!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Past Administrator

Good news!!!!!!

Hi all,

I got an Email from our Internet Brands liaison today with some good news. Our sites are seeing a sharp increase in referrals from image searches. This means more views, more curiosity, more membership and more people to ultimately share our interest in what we love. He did give a recommendation that we upload images directly for one important reason. Third party images may not be there in the future, for whatever reason. If you load an image in your album or especially in a thread when associated with some subject matter it will always be here as long as the site is. If it is lost via a third party image host then all you get is a blank square or a red X. I am sure we have all experienced that in the past and you know how frustrating it is. So let's all remember to upload directly whenever possible.
Old May 16th, 2011, 02:59 PM

Old May 16th, 2011, 05:33 PM

That's awesome news Dan! The tough part for me (though I am not real computer savvy, so there are a lot of tough parts for me) is when I upload an image, I like to make a comment, or reference to a specific image. The way adding pics works currently doesn't seem to lend itself well to this practice. Is this something the Internet Brands Liason can help with?

I don't really trust these 3rd party sites to begin with, so having that feature on the site would be a huge help toward reaching our goal of minimal 3rd party site references. I do think though that having the 3rd party links may help us in some way, no?

Thanks again Dan, for the great news!
Old May 16th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Here's a secret I figured out a couple of weeks ago (people who are already doing this, don't laugh at me):

1. Upload photos (limit five per post)

2. Click on uploaded photos to open.

3. Right-click (or whatever means you use) on photo to "Copy Image URL."

4. Use the inline image-post icon ( ) to place the image full-size within your text, the same way you would with a third-party image. You can place as many as you want in the text of a given post, but the images have to be 5-at-a-time when uploaded.

So simple, even I can do it !

I will still post third-party images at times, as they can be faster to find and reference during my "drive-by posting" moments, but this is a good way to make your own pics easier for others to digest.

- Eric
Old May 16th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I use photobucket a lot instead of uploading 'smaller' images to CO. I understand the process used by CO for uploading, but find it to be rather limiting and slower.

What I hear you saying is that images that are uploaded to CO will stay with CO. In order to do that however, I have to go to my picture viewer and resize the image so it will upload.

If the Internet Brands is pleased with the increased attention to this site, why not hit them up with the capability of uploading more than 5 at a time and increase the upload size? I think it would be nice for our members and also take away the headaches that many new members experience trying to post images. Anyway that's JMO.
Old May 21st, 2011, 07:59 AM
Past Administrator

Very good points Allan. I think I just might hit them up on that.
Old May 21st, 2011, 08:05 AM
Certifiable car addict...

Another thing to do that will help with the traffic, is to rename any uploaded pictures with a proper description that matches the image. All it needs to be is something like "66-442" or "72-cutlass" etc. Number them accordingly with a .1 .2 .3 etc to keep them in order, but that will greatly help when people run a google image search, you'll start to see more and more hits that way as well if that's what you're after.
Old May 21st, 2011, 10:10 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

I tried to upload photos to CO and it said my files were to large.I do not know enough about computers to be able to resize photos.I don't even think my computer has the program needed.

any advice,tips or hints on resizing?