General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Good Book or Website about carburetors

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2020 | 10:43 AM

Good Book or Website about carburetors

Well,

I own two carbureted cars now but i do not know much about carburetors.
I would want to know how they work and how to tune/work on them myself.
Need to start at the basics.

What do you guys think about this book?
Amazon Amazon

Is there an even better one or a good website which has the same information for free?
Old June 27th, 2020 | 10:53 AM

Which carb do you want to learn about?
Old June 27th, 2020 | 11:00 AM

1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme w/ 350 Olds Rocket
1969 Dodge Charger RT w/ 440 Engine

Both Stock so Factory Carbs. Dont ask me which models need to find out yet.
But i want to learn how carbs work and how to ajust them in general, not only a certain model.
But of course the carbs from the cars listed above will be the ones i will start out with.
Old June 27th, 2020 | 11:07 AM

The books by Doug Roe and Cliff Ruggles are good on quadrajets and other GM carbs.

However, the first thing you need to do is take the air cleaners off, look at the carbs, and write down any numbers you see. This is basic part identification that you don't need a book for, and is vital for the proper mindset of a classic car mechanic. Books won't tell you everything, you can learn a lot simply by getting your hands dirty. For instance, had you looked at the 71 Olds, you would have seen "Quadrajet" on the left side and known that's what you have.
Old June 27th, 2020 | 11:18 AM

For Rochester carburetors, I have found this book to be very helpful.

Old June 27th, 2020 | 11:24 AM

Koda is right. This will help with your 1971 Cutlass
Old June 27th, 2020 | 02:42 PM

OP didn't mention what carb he has on the Cutlass Supreme. He might have a 2GC or a Quadrajet. I think the Doug Roe book is better for a beginner. Haynes manuals would be my last choice.
Old June 27th, 2020 | 04:05 PM

I'm still learning about carburetors after rebuilding them for over 40 years. Most books don't explain the circuits well enough or leave out important information. Type CARBURETORS EXPLAINED on YouTube before buying the book. Pay attention to the term AIR BLEED & EMMULSION TUBE, both do the same thing, they atomize fuel since raw fuel won't burn. They are like a cracked soda straw that makes bubbles when you drink. Fuel pressure, float levels, engine timing, camshaft, weather, and many other variables effect carb signal. The AVS is a damn good carb, Chrysler put that on everything. I like the new AVS2 design a lot. Pictured the only set of 426 Hemi carbs I ever did, took about 2 months, lots of research, the rear carb secondaries have a jet difference of 15 sizes 77 right vs 92 left.

Old June 27th, 2020 | 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
Haynes manuals would be my last choice.
I'll beg to differ. I used the Haynes book I showed above when I rebuilt the 2-bbl Rochester carb on my '67 Delta 88 some years ago. First carb I ever rebuilt, and I found the book very helpful.
Old June 27th, 2020 | 06:58 PM
Phantom Phixer

Tthe 1971 Oldsmobile Chassis Shop Manual will have more in depth , specific , information than any other book on the market .
That should be the first one you purchase . And it will help with many other jobs too .
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...anual&_sacat=0
Old June 27th, 2020 | 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I'll beg to differ. I used the Haynes book I showed above when I rebuilt the 2-bbl Rochester carb on my '67 Delta 88 some years ago. First carb I ever rebuilt, and I found the book very helpful.
Thats fine to disagree, and I respect your opinion.. I have bought Haynes manuals for my various BSA & Triumph motorcycles and my Porsche because nothing else is readily available. They seem to have limited information and explanation. They are "ok", but not my first choice.
I have both the Doug Roe and Cliff Ruggles books. The Doug Roe book is better for a beginner and covers a wide variety of Rochesters. Charlie Jones is correct about the CSM if the OP's car has an original carb. .
Old June 28th, 2020 | 12:40 PM

Thanks guys.
Will look which carburetors i have and then buy the books that fit me best.
Old June 28th, 2020 | 02:29 PM
Running On Empty

I've spent a fair amount of time reviewing a number of websites, forums, several technical papers, etc. and whenever I find any authoritative information regarding the building, re-building and/or fine-tuning of a carburetor I've grown to respect one person in particular - Lars Grimsrud. I don't know, I think Joe knows Lars - I don't know this to be true. But, I will say whenever I see stuff written by Lars, Joe always appears in the same forum or is commenting and/or learning from Lars. I know Lars is an aerospace engineer and I think Joe may be in the same field. At any rate, I find Lars' information to be the most authoritative. I have Cliff's books, as well. Do a search for anything related to carburetors with Lars Grimsrud and you can't go wrong, IMHO.

Timing A Vintage Engine For Modern Gasoline
Lars Grimsrud
Old June 28th, 2020 | 06:57 PM

I started with a ‘66 CSM, but it didn’t help much for other than factory tuning. As you’d expect. Then I moved onto the Doug Roe book probably in the late 80’s or early 90’s when I’d finished my Holley phase and was turning the corner back to factory solutions. Maybe 5-10 years ago I got the Ruggles book and it’s my favorite.

The one resource that didn’t help was a 12lb GM free exhaustive publication I got one time by writing to GM as they were getting rid of them. I don’t think I kept that doorstop. Maybe I just didn’t understand it.

Lars Grimsrud’s articles are quite good. cliffs high performance site is active. My take is he’s a genuine authority. I get my carbs from SMI in SoCal and Sean does a good job setting them up during rebuild.

my $.02
Chris