General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Glove box rattling

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2010, 08:34 PM

Glove box rattling

I bought new glove box bumpers they are the real small ones has no spot on the glove box to mount.I noticed that on both side of the latch there is a plastic piece hanging down looks like a downward facing C is that where both the bumpers go and what size are they
Old February 13th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Just an Olds Guy

ok, the glove box bumpers are small. They are about 9/64 in diameter and about 1/2 inch long after protrusion. They have a small push through rubber lock tab. They go exactly where you described. The plastic pieces should have a small hole in them to mount the bumpers. It they don't, your mounting tabs are broken. The only other way I can think of for you to quiet down your rattling glove box is to build up some layers of foam tape on the bracket until it just contacts the door. It just needs enough to keep the door wedged tight when the latch is closed.

I don't know if you can get replacement tabs to hold the glove box bumpers. Maybe some one can chime in on this.
Old May 1st, 2010, 07:56 PM

Broken tab on glove box

I have one broken tab where the rubber bumper stop is suppose to go. Does anyone have a good solution to repair this tab? Is there some sort of filler I can use that will last and maybe still be able to use the factory rubber bumper?

d1
Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:48 AM

The bumpers are visible at the top of this picture:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3093/...47268d1592.jpg

There is also a rectangular bumper at the end of the arm that protrudes through the dash panel (not visible here).

Originally Posted by defiant1
I have one broken tab where the rubber bumper stop is suppose to go. Does anyone have a good solution to repair this tab? Is there some sort of filler I can use that will last and maybe still be able to use the factory rubber bumper?
Cut a tab off a parts car with a bad dash and epoxy it on??
Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
The bumpers are visible at the top of this picture:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3093/...47268d1592.jpg

There is also a rectangular bumper at the end of the arm that protrudes through the dash panel (not visible here).

Cut a tab off a parts car with a bad dash and epoxy it on??

Yeah, the one that is broken is the top right bumper. My glove box lid is sitting kitty-whompus without the other bumper. I guess I will be posting a Parts Wanted thread for a busted up dash so I can salvage the mounting tab.

Thanks
d1