General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Glove box install?

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2019, 08:54 AM

Glove box install?

Seems like a stupid enough question "how do you install the glove box door?" I took my car apart 8 months ago to have it repainted. So I just got around to putting the glovebox bask in. I installed the box part and went to install the door only to find I no longer had access to screw the hinge in place. Take the box back out and start over. Screw the hinge in place and then realize I cant access the screws to the door. Break out the assembly manual and think I know how to approach it but since the hinge is spring loaded it is still difficult to screw it in place. For starters, should the hinge be screwed to the door first or after? I'm beginning to think there must be an easier way, is there?

thanks,
Steve
Old November 25th, 2019, 09:19 AM

The order of assembly manual pages is generally the order that the part was installed. I know that I installed the glove box door after the liner and Figure 1 on Section 1-3 Page 118 pretty clearly shows that is how its done. The lower part of the liner is sandwiched between the hinge and the dash metal reinforcement
Old November 25th, 2019, 10:30 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Hey Steve, Mike must know you...but for the rest of us who don't and to increase the functionality of the search features please list the year and model of your car.
TX
Steve
Old November 25th, 2019, 10:35 AM

Glovebox

Right, sorry about that. 69 Cutlass conv.

Steve
Old November 26th, 2019, 03:21 PM

Glovebox - 69 Cutlass

I took a break and came back and with a little more info got it put back together. It has never worked right since I got it. The lock just spins loosly. Is there a clip or something to hole it in place?
thanks,
Steve
Old November 26th, 2019, 06:15 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Phoenix8990
I took a break and came back and with a little more info got it put back together. It has never worked right since I got it. The lock just spins loosly. Is there a clip or something to hole it in place?
thanks,
Steve
I feel your pain. The glove box lock was spinning on my car when I purchased it, as well. Obviously whoever worked on trying to re-install the lock didn't know what to do and just left it spinning. Very frustrating. Nearly the same situation as yourself. I refurbished the original glove box, got the glove box door installed and thought easy to figure out the lock. Not so much. Frustrated, I then removed the glove box door so I had excellent access in figuring out how the damn lock/tumbler installed. I will say having the glove box door off helped reduce the frustration immensely since it was such a PITA trying to figure out how it assembled. It's been so long ago, I can't recall the exact method I used. I either found a video on YouTube or faithfully followed the CSM - I just can't recall. To your point about a clip though. As I recall (from my armchair sitting comfortably in my home), there is a threaded piece which you tighten onto the inside (back) of the glove box door. The maneuvering of the lock/cylinder/tumbler took me awhile to figure out just how the threaded piece would tighten and align the lock assembly. If you're still having issues, I can take some pictures for you tomorrow if that will help you if someone else hasn't answered with a more precise manner for the installation. Mine is a 1971 CS but I suspect they aren't too dissimilar.
Old November 26th, 2019, 06:36 PM
Running On Empty

Well, I went out to the man-cave thinking I'd get you a picture; but, a picture isn't going to help you - there's really nothing a picture is going to show. I remember having to use a small (tiny) screwdriver or a paperclip on the backside of the glovebox on the lock cylinder and pushing in a small little boss or metal (aluminum) insert at the top of the tumbler - that releases the entire cylinder & you can pull it out. The CSM calls for a tool to remove the escutcheon but I didn't have that tool. There is one additional piece which has what - 2 or 4 screws holding a piece on the back side of the glove box door. I recall removing that piece to gain better access. It takes a little while to find that little piece you push in to release the cylinder assembly. I think once I got the cylinder assembly removed from the door, I then figured out by trial & error how to screw the cylinder housing onto the tumbler into just the correct position in order for the glove box door to fit snugly into space. Just looking at it all again I recall what a nightmare it was trying to figure it out. I don't know why it should be that difficult but it sure the hell was.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; November 26th, 2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old November 26th, 2019, 06:47 PM
Running On Empty

Here are couple videos I recall watching - you got this!

Old January 4th, 2023, 05:43 PM

thanks,
Steve
How did you install the hinge? I’m having trouble and it’s very confusing. The new box is in, then I believe the hinge, and then the door.
Old January 6th, 2023, 06:34 AM

Hopefully these diagrams will help a bit.
Steve
Old January 6th, 2023, 08:58 AM

Hopefully these diagrams will help a bit.
Steve
These diagrams will help a lot. Thank you!