General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Getting parts?

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2010, 12:42 AM

Getting parts?

I had a quick question for all you knowledgeable guys. I was wondering if a part breaks on my future cutlass am I stuck searching for parts cars to strip or are there places that make aftermarket new parts for these classic cars? I am pretty sure they make new Chevy parts for classics, but I don't want a chevy

Any help (and links perhaps!) would be appreciated.

Ben

Oh yeah, I am also REALLY excited because I just got this new gig at work that is going to let me work basically 80 hours a week for the next 5 weeks. My cutlass might come much sooner than I was originally anticipating.

Oh also another question while I have you all reading this: I've been looking at other states for cutlass' on craigslist. Are there any specific states I should look at to avoid rust? I originally thought Texas would be a good state to avoid rust, but my friends say it snows there (who knew?) which I assume means rust. Anyway, thanks again!
Old January 7th, 2010, 12:58 AM

Depends on what kind of Olds you are looking to buy. 1970-72 Cutlass/442's are becoming "Catalog cars" and aftermarket parts are plentiful. Later 66-69 cars have plenty of aftermarket support, 73-80 you are looking at a era of non loved Oldsmobiles. 81-88 parts can still be had used, and through guys like myself and many others that hoard G body parts.

Arizona cars are your BEST bet for no rust, but you WILL pay a premium for them. Then Southern states away from the coast, NC, SC, GA, FL where its warm and not too wet, or any area where they do not salt the roads in the winter.

John
Old January 7th, 2010, 06:59 AM

Thanks Eightupman. I am looking for a 68-72 cutlass (or a 442 in my dreams haha) so we shall see what I get. You've helped put my mind at ease about parts

Ben
Old January 7th, 2010, 07:11 AM

This is a great question to ask before you buy an old car. Because finding parts is just as important as finding a good car. Their are a lot of older cars they don't make parts for I have a friend that has a car they don't make anything for. The 70-72 like John said is the Cutlasses they make more parts for than any other years.
Old January 7th, 2010, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by 70 cutlass s
This is a great question to ask before you buy an old car. Because finding parts is just as important as finding a good car. Their are a lot of older cars they don't make parts for I have a friend that has a car they don't make anything for. The 70-72 like John said is the Cutlasses they make more parts for than any other years.
Actually its kind of sad. Now they are similar to Chevelles in some respect, because they are so commercialized. It kinda takes away from the thrill of the hunt at the boneyards and swapmeets, knowing you can get some Chinesium repop for a fraction of cost of NOS stuff..

John
Old January 7th, 2010, 08:54 AM

Yes I love the hunt you never know what the next boneyard might have that part you been look for might be there. Swapmeets around here are most of the time 90% Chevy parts 9% Ford and 1% whatever. The one's I have went to didn't have any Olds parts. When I was laid off from my job I made extra money at the local pull a part. A lot of people go there and don't have any tools are don't know how to take the parts off. I would charge them a little take a part off so them how to do it answer question about that car. The bad thing was I would spend the money on parts for myself.
Old June 28th, 2020, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Eightupman
...you can get some Chinesium repop for a fraction of cost of NOS stuff...
That's the last thing you want to do. Especially, if you're looking for suspension and brake parts.
In the following video, a viewer sent in the starter of which he bought cheap from the internet. It was a copy of a Bosch. As the owner started his car back up at a traffic light, the starter wouldn't disengage. After having taken it apart, the following Tubers discovered that the solenoid contacts spot-welded themselves together, even though the relase spring was strong enough to separate these contacts from one another. They're supposing that the problem had to do with the alloy used. The bronze contacts were probably cut down with iron content, I'm guessing:

Old June 29th, 2020, 05:01 AM
Old(s) Fart

This thread you resurrected is over a decade old...
Old June 29th, 2020, 05:05 AM

Must have been the virus.
Old June 29th, 2020, 10:20 PM

The Chinesium Virus has not since then been eradicated. There is only one known vaccine available for curing it, if a general boycott won't
Old July 6th, 2020, 11:57 PM

Here, a Made in You-Know-Where crashes through a Made in Y-K-W flimsy guard rail, possibly because of a Made in Y-K-W tie rod popping out of its socket. In any event, anybody viewing this thread still bolting this stuff onto their cars is purely at fault for anything that happens afterwards:

https://sputniknews.com/asia/202007071079815642-bus-carrying-students-crashes-into-reservoir-in-southwest-china---video/?utm_source=push&utm_medium=browser_notification&u tm_campaign=sputnik_inter_en

https://twitter.com/i/status/1280379594751672320