General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Gas overflows, what's up???

Search this Thread

Old April 15th, 2019, 03:36 PM

Gas overflows, what's up???

Hi all. So this has been a issue with all old cars I've owned. Seeing if it's just me, and/if there is any insight on an easier way.

Every time I pump gas, I have to really pay attention to the amount. The handle doesn't seem to auto shut off before overflowing.
I'm guessing older cars weren't meant to take the flow speed/rate that today's cars handle?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Kensey
Pittsburgh, PA
Old April 15th, 2019, 04:56 PM

I haven’t had that issue with either my 70 Supreme that I drove through school and into the 90s or the 71 convertible that took its place. I suspect there may be a difference in the pump shutoff sensitivity in different geographic locations.
Old April 15th, 2019, 05:12 PM
Old(s) Fart

I also have not had this issue with any of my older vehicles. Does this happen at many different gas stations, or do you frequent one in particular? If the problem is independent of the station, perhaps your filler neck has been crimped by an accident or something.
Old April 15th, 2019, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Or the tank vent is blocked.
Old April 15th, 2019, 06:46 PM

Hmmmmm. Seems to be the case at all gas stations I go to, on several of my past old cars.

Maybe it's me. After it happening a few times I just assumed it would happen every time.
Next time I go I'll just go full throttle and see what happens.

Anyone else??
Old April 15th, 2019, 06:59 PM
Administrator

I can't run fuel at full throttle, 1'st maybe second click at most stations. Someone at one time stuck one of those anti-syphoning springs in the filler neck.
Old April 15th, 2019, 08:07 PM

I usually use the slowest or next to slowest flow rate on the nozzle. "Wide open" usually results in spillage on my sedans or pick-up truck.
Old April 15th, 2019, 11:49 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Spillage here too. The low angle of the rear plate-concealed filler causes it to puke back every time and the auto shutoff is useless. I have to fill the top third of the tank v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y. I only go to Chevron so I can get the 94 octane/no ethanol blend, but it's been that way at every Chevron I've been to.

Last edited by BangScreech4-4-2; April 15th, 2019 at 11:52 PM.
Old April 16th, 2019, 02:46 AM
Lansing built

I don't have any real issues. But I do slow it down when I hear it getting near full. I having more issues with the shorting of the hoses due to the side fills dominating the roads. I have to park as close as I can to the passenger side and the nozzle just makes it!

Pat
Old April 16th, 2019, 03:02 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Originally Posted by Ozzie
I usually use the slowest or next to slowest flow rate on the nozzle. "Wide open" usually results in spillage on my sedans or pick-up truck.
^^^^That's what I do.
Old April 16th, 2019, 04:09 AM

68 Cutty here, gas pump at full bore and it shuts off everytime before over filling.
Old April 16th, 2019, 06:13 AM

Depends on your state and the pump configuration. e.g., California is way more paranoid so their pumps will shut off early. Here in texas? Nah. I have to pump slowly or else the backflow will slosh out the filler before the shutoff trigger.
Modern pumps are calibrated to modern fuel fillers which are at least 1' above the tank and have the small opening that snugs the pump nozzle. That gives the pump plenty of air space for the shutoff to work. Not so on these old cars.
Old April 16th, 2019, 09:20 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by oddball
Modern pumps are calibrated to modern fuel fillers which are at least 1' above the tank and have the small opening that snugs the pump nozzle. That gives the pump plenty of air space for the shutoff to work. Not so on these old cars.
And I would elaborate that the small opening for the nozzle deflects slosh and does not allow it to blow past the nozzle.

I had the slosh problem on my 1970 4-4-2. The filler pipe is near horizontal, the opening is not significantly above the tank top, and there is no reduced-diameter nozzle opening. I had to do the last 1/4 of the fill S L O W L Y.

My 1970 Vista Cruiser does not have a filler pipe--the opening is directly into the tank and there is never a slosh problem. Confirming what oddball said, this points to the overall design of the filler neck on our old cars as the source of the problem.

My first job in high school was pumping gas. We learned which cars were prone to slosh--and that was many of them--otherwise we got gas on us and on the car.

Bottom line is that the car companies eventually redesigned the filler neck to avoid needless evaporation loss that ultimately creates smog.
Old April 16th, 2019, 10:11 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Originally Posted by 1970cs
I don't have any real issues. But I do slow it down when I hear it getting near full. I having more issues with the shorting of the hoses due to the side fills dominating the roads. I have to park as close as I can to the passenger side and the nozzle just makes it!

Pat
I too need to slow it down or I get burp-back. All pumps that dole out ethanol free that is. No watergas for my fuel system. Dont like it all over my shiny tank and triple show chromed bumper.
Plausibility...Has something to do with modern evap system compatibility and modern fuel system design compared to old skool tank/system design. The low angle of assault the filler neck sits at could contribute too.

Believe this or not...The Sams clubs by me purposely shortened the hoses so you cant pull up to just any pump regardless of which side the filler is on. BJ and others no problem plenty of hose. Did some complaining to Sams. The reason why the hoses were shortened was to protect the stupid people (I.G. Darwin not allowed to do his work) types. Seems the "people" were not following the one-way signs, starting fires, tripping over the hose, damaging their cars etc...So the ...."people" baby sitter protectors(our beloved legal type brethren) had to give out the participation trophies, go to sensitivity training, stop using the Windex, install pre-broken non-functioning safety filler necks in our lawn mower gas cans and ordered Sams shorten their hoses. Merica!