General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Fusick Shipping & Handling Charges

Search this Thread

Old August 31st, 2014, 11:54 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Fusick Shipping & Handling Charges

I received a carb kit yesterday from Fusick. The kit cost $62.00. Then that add $3.00 for handling and insurance and then another $12.00 for handling and shipping. The stupid think wound up costing me $77.00 instead of $62.00. I don' mind paying reasonable shipping but they are ridiculous on their charges. I was really steamed. I know they have things I will have to buy in the future but I will sure shop the items that are available elsewhere.
Old August 31st, 2014, 11:57 AM

Amen
Old August 31st, 2014, 12:05 PM

You should try to order your parts and meet them at one of the events they attend, for me I try to catch them either at the Nationals or Carlisle PA. I get screwed on the border thing and fed ex switches over to Fed EX Canada and then they hit you with more charges.
Steve
Old August 31st, 2014, 12:16 PM

The cost of shipping has gone up a lot in the last few years whether its USPS, Fedex or whatever. You may want to check the shipping price yourself. $12 for a box from CT to TX is not that far out of line.
Old August 31st, 2014, 12:41 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Originally Posted by natedrag
The cost of shipping has gone up a lot in the last few years whether its USPS, Fedex or whatever. You may want to check the shipping price yourself. $12 for a box from CT to TX is not that far out of line.
I actually thought about taking the box up to the PO Box place and see what the freight would be. I might feel better.

Oldskeeper thanks for the tip but I never make those events and they never come to Texas. I think I will try accumulating the stuff I have to have and then place one order when I have to.
Old August 31st, 2014, 12:44 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by natedrag
$12 for a box from CT to TX is not that far out of line.
It's not out of line if you or I shipped it, but for a mail-order company that shovels truckloads of stuff out the loading dock every single day on a bulk commercial account, it is.

- Eric
Old August 31st, 2014, 01:12 PM
"me somebody" site member

So if say 9 or 10 bucks would have been a "fairer" charge for shipping, handling AND insurance, O.P. Is getting "steamed" over a matter of the arguable 5 dollar overcharge over and above what would supposedly have been reasonable. As a business, i can understand why Fusicks wouldn't want to undercharge on shipping and operate at a loss on every item. Boxes and packing materials cost money. Time a business spends making sure an item arrives unharmed costs them too. I'm always amazed how fast the items i get from Fusicks arrive. Never had a broken item either. I doubt they make any profit on shipping items. Of course its gonna seem like a lot proportionally when you're only getting one item.
Old August 31st, 2014, 01:58 PM

I spent $250 at Fusick at the 2014 Nats. Most items had to be shipped to me. Cash purchase. No charge shipping, and no sales tax, either. Bought on Friday, delivered on Tuesday.

I have a shopping list for the NEOC show, but may not be able to avoid the taxman in CT. I think I'll pre-order and pick up.

Last edited by F-85 4-4-2; August 31st, 2014 at 02:02 PM.
Old August 31st, 2014, 02:02 PM

The thing that pisses me off about Fusick - why can you buy a new item from them off of Ebay and the shipping rate is CHEAPER and you don't get stuck with the 3 dollar 'processing' fee. I have even seen identical items on Ebay from them that are less expensive than in the catalog!
Old August 31st, 2014, 03:52 PM

What I don't like about Fusick is this from their catalog:

Minimum order amount is $25.00. With the rising costs of supplies, credit card processing and administrative fees, orders under 25.00 are not financially feasible to process in any practical manner.

Bullshit. Credit card processing costs the same as it always has. Heck, I can go to Starbucks and use my credit card for a $2.00 cup of coffee. There's vending machines in the building where I work that sell 20-ounce soft drink bottles for $1.50, and I can swipe a credit card to pay for them. Obviously these businesses are not hurt by the credit card processing fee.

I know there are some businesses, often Mom-and-Pop type stores, that have a minimum charge for using a credit card, but it's always something much more reasonable, like $5.00. It's never $25.00.

And what is an "administrative fee."

As far as I know, they are the only vendor, online or otherwise, that imposes this. They have plenty of $5.00/$10.00/$15.00/whatever items in their catalog, and this restriction makes it impossible to purchase just those things.

If I want a 59 cent clip from rockauto, they'll sell it to me. I might pay $5.00 shipping, but I don't have to come up with $24.41 worth of stuff I don't want just to get the thing I DO want. And then, of course, and as the OP has noted, there is a minimum $10.00 shipping fee and a $3.00 handling/insurance fee added on, so to get that $5.00 item I really want, I'm spending no less than $37.00.

All this is is arrogance on the part of Fusick. They know they have somewhat of a captive market and thus can get away with this. If someone else would come along and give them a run for their money as far as supplying Oldsmobile hobbyists, Fusick would drop these restrictions so fast it would make your head spin.

Last edited by jaunty75; August 31st, 2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old August 31st, 2014, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by 59-59-59
The thing that pisses me off about Fusick - why can you buy a new item from them off of Ebay and the shipping rate is CHEAPER and you don't get stuck with the 3 dollar 'processing' fee. I have even seen identical items on Ebay from them that are less expensive than in the catalog!
X2, I totally agree with you. If I would have known that the carpet Fusick are selling is the same name brand eBay was selling I would have bought it from eBay and save me money and gas. The guy on eBay has free shipping and the carpet was $25 cheaper than Fusick.
Old August 31st, 2014, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
What I don't like about Fusick is this from their catalog:

Minimum order amount is $25.00. With the rising costs of supplies, credit card processing and administrative fees, orders under 25.00 are not financially feasible to process in any practical manner.
I just now checked the Fusick website (and when are they going to bring it into the 20th century, let alone the 21st?), and the catalog I was looking at that contained the above statement has been superseded by a newer one. This newer catalog, #23BC, dated July 1, 2014, does not have this statement. However, their shipping charge chart is still the same, showing a $10 charge for orders from $25 to $50. No shipping charges are shown for orders less than $25, which I assume means that the $25 minimum order restriction is still in effect, just not explicitly stated.

They probably had too many complaints, but rather than eliminate the restriction, they simply don't mention it and hope that, when you look at the shipping charge chart, you'll subconsciously notice that you have to spend at least $25.00
Old August 31st, 2014, 06:00 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I notice they never give the total when I call them like most companies do. They probably do not want to hear the comments and screaming about the shipping and handling charges. Inflating shipping charges is a gimmick used by a lot of internet sellers. It is BS.
Old August 31st, 2014, 06:49 PM
Gary

^^^^^^^^^^

You are correct about these companies not telling you what the total is unless you ask them. I often wondered why they do that now I know.
Old September 1st, 2014, 02:05 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Don't forget the 15% return charge to put it back on the shelf.
Old September 1st, 2014, 06:45 AM

In my experience Fusick tops them all in raping customers for shipping and handling charges. I have also gotten into elevated voice tone conversations with their sales people who can be delusional and/or confused.

X2 on trying to catch them at shows/swap meets.
Old September 1st, 2014, 08:21 AM

Thumbs up

Fusick has the best customer service.

If I have to pay a little more for great service and quick shipping, I will.

Vote with your feet - if you don't like them, shop elsewhere.
Old September 1st, 2014, 08:21 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Fusick shipping and admin/handling fees are a joke. Don't know about your experience but every one of my orders arrived in a recycled cigarette box stuffed with old newspaper. That hardly is a professional packing/shipping procedure for such a giant vendor as them. Still, I gave them more business until I just had enough of this crap. Their shipping cost was, as noted, like being raped. On a 200.00 order, the shipping was over 60.00! I called them and complained and their response was 'So what?'. I won't use them again for anything unless I'm absolutely strapped over a barrel. I've talked with others who have noticed unreasonably higher cost of doing business with Fusick than other vendors.

There are other vendors who have identical parts and are way more user friendly.
Old September 1st, 2014, 08:28 AM

Rock Auto is no better!
Old September 1st, 2014, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by ignachuck
Don't forget the 15% return charge to put it back on the shelf.
A return charge/restocking fee/whatever is not uncommon among vendors, and I can kind of understand it. While we all can make mistakes when ordering something and will need to return it, by charging a fee for doing so, the seller is forcing the buyer to be a little more careful when ordering to make sure the part needed is correct. I don't see a problem with this.
Old September 1st, 2014, 09:05 AM

I placed an order for two rear wheel cylinders form Fusicks. Five minutes later I called back and wanted to add to the previous order. Sorry that order has been processed and boxed up, there will be the normal additional charges. Ok, my bad I should have gotten it all in one shot. Received all items in one box with 2 invoices. Charged double freight and handling charges.
Old September 1st, 2014, 09:11 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Nilsson
I placed an order for two rear wheel cylinders form Fusicks. Five minutes later I called back and wanted to add to the previous order. Sorry that order has been processed and boxed up, there will be the normal additional charges. Ok, my bad I should have gotten it all in one shot. Received all items in one box with 2 invoices. Charged double freight and handling charges.
Wow. Actually, that's kind of damning.

- Eric
Old September 1st, 2014, 09:22 AM

Too many suppliers use freight and handling as a profit source. We operate 2 sites on the internet for Mercedes-Benz parts. The providers of both sites suggest we pump up the freight and handling to increase the profit margins. We prefer to maintain a normal sale price and charge actual freight based on weight and size of the package. That being said, our minimum freight charge is still $6.75 with a $2.00 S&H charge, because that's the minimum charge we pay the carrier.

We still get complaints...
Old September 1st, 2014, 09:28 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If I decided I wanted to return the $62.00 carb kit, I would be out the $15.00 shipping and handling charges, the restocking fee of $9.00 and then assume it cost me $8.00 for return shipping. That is a total of $32.00 and I no longer have the item. I think I would keep it and sell it on here or ebay. I bought a set of plug wire for my 54. They were absolutely no good. The car would not run with them. I called and they took them back without a restocking fee but I was out shipping both ways and a lot of frustration. I thought they might be interested in knowing they had a defective product but not so. I hope they did not put them back on the shelf.

Last edited by redoldsman; September 1st, 2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old September 1st, 2014, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by 1968_Post
Too many suppliers use freight and handling as a profit source. We operate 2 sites on the internet for Mercedes-Benz parts. The providers of both sites suggest we pump up the freight and handling to increase the profit margins. We prefer to maintain a normal sale price and charge actual freight based on weight and size of the package. That being said, our minimum freight charge is still $6.75 with a $2.00 S&H charge, because that's the minimum charge we pay the carrier.

My boss charges ALL of his customers a "Fuel Surcharge" when he delivers his building materials even if its down the corner.
Old September 1st, 2014, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by 1968_Post

Your freight terms are exactly how it should be done.
Old September 1st, 2014, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Nilsson
When you called to add to the order and they would not, why didn't you just cancel the whole thing then and there?

answer---BECAUSE THEY HAVE WHAT WE NEED!

Now you know what it's like to be an auto parts junkie.
Old September 1st, 2014, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by chip-powell
When you called to add to the order and they would not, why didn't you just cancel the whole thing then and there?
Couldn't he have cancelled the entire order and then, the next day, quietly call back and place a new order with everything he wanted as though yesterday never happened?
Old September 1st, 2014, 02:16 PM
Beer Connoisseur

I only use Fusick, opgi catalogs for part numbers, the same with rock auto, and I always find the same part with same part number on eBay for a fraction of the cost.
Old September 1st, 2014, 03:50 PM

A lot of companies are doing the WRONG thing -- because they know they can "get away with it".... that "handling" gets me --- shipping and insurance are real -- what is the "handling"? That's the way they can get away with "highway robbery".....
When I ship -- I look to ship the cheapest way depending on the item -- and, heck, a carb. kit can be sent in the "if it fits it ships" $ 5.80 box!!!!!! Why does shipping need to be more than that!!!!
Then, of course, you have the "FREE" way -- meet at shows for FREE if it's possible...
My UPS guys kid me thatI always lose money on shipping because I "round things out" and always in the customer's favor....oh well -- maybe I am TOO old school!!!!!!!
Old September 1st, 2014, 04:53 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Handling fees.....Hmmm. Reminds me of Doc Fees. I sold cars for a long time and we had a documentation fee added to every car sale. What did you get for that? You got the paperwork that the dealer was required to give to you anyway, by law.
Old September 1st, 2014, 05:40 PM

same with opg I ordered 2 front floor pan sections . for 152.00 not bad parts weren't big or heavy , they charged me a oversize charge on each piece, and they came in one small box weight was around 5lbs oversize charge was 152.00 plus shipping and handleing never again!! bill came to around 335.00 that's BULLL ****.
Old September 1st, 2014, 05:51 PM

Any company starts lean and mean and has to be gracious to customers to live. Once you get big, you begin to rape people just like any rapist, because you can. These companies occasionally learn through boycotts, but they usually don't learn until 25 years later of gradual decline. People just can't seem to be decent for decency's sake anymore.
Old September 1st, 2014, 05:55 PM

Thumbs down Opg

Never again, crap parts.
Old September 1st, 2014, 05:57 PM

My 2 cents, I shop around. Never had a problem with Fusick but I dont go to them first. My first stop is usually Ebay. Its like anything else and sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and pony up. Nobody beats Fusicks speedyness in shipping and I am fortunate in that they do the swaps I attend. If I can wait for those all the better especially for bigger items like rear package trays and the like.
Old September 1st, 2014, 06:25 PM
morgan

Handling fees used to be the norm up to 1980's but with computer inventory etc there is no legit reason to charge it unless itsfrom a TV infomercial and even then they give you 2 for the price of one....with seperate shipping and handling
Old September 1st, 2014, 07:20 PM

I purchased two pieces of automotive literature on ebay, two separate auctions. Twelve dollars shipping charges, he would not reduce charges. So I provided two different mailing addresses for each auction. Actual postage cost was less than 4four dollars per envelope.

Henry
Old September 1st, 2014, 07:38 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Thanks for the reminder Henry. When I bought my last order from Fusick, I told them I used their on line catalogues and NO I don't want a hardcopy one sent. So what happens? They sent a hardcopy in the shipment. All it did was increase the weight of the shipment for something I expressly didn't want. They don't listen and it seems don't care.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 02:00 PM
Billy

I totally agree...my bad experience last month was when I ordered from OPG for the first time! The customer service was good and shipping extremely quick, but still not worth what they charged me. I ordered 3 smallish pieces that totalled $68 and fit in a small FedEx box with very little weight. They never said what shipping would be, and my bad for not asking. I figured prolly $20 or $30 to Canada. The package arrived 3 days later and the shipping charge was $92...WTF? I didnt ask for overnight service, and the invoice even showed Intl Economy service! Shame on me...like someone else said before, ask for shipping price before the transaction is completed, then if it is way too high, cancel the order and shop around. That's the only way we have any voice!
Old September 2nd, 2014, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by bigrig12
fit in a small FedEx box with very little weight. They never said what shipping would be, and my bad for not asking. I figured prolly $20 or $30 to Canada. The package arrived 3 days later and the shipping charge was $92...WTF? I didnt ask for overnight service, and the invoice even showed Intl Economy service!
I have a few questions/comments.

First, nothing costs only $20 or $30 to ship to Canada anymore!

Second, you say it was a small Fedex box. Were your items actually shipped by Fedex? Three days is very short from the U.S. to Canada, in my experience, if shipping by U.S. Postal Service. The fact that your order took only three days suggests they did use an express service of some kind, such as Fedex.

Could you have asked for postal service instead? I looked just now, and a "Priority Mail International Medium Flat Rate Box" from the U.S. to Canada is $42, assuming everything you ordered would fit in the box.

My experience with some vendors is that they don't automatically choose the cheapest shipping method. I've seen some that default to something like UPS Second Day Air, and you have to ask or indicate in the online ordering process that you want to downgrade to a cheaper method such UPS Ground or USPS Parcel Post.

Quick Reply: Fusick Shipping & Handling Charges