General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Funny Conversation Overheard at a Car Show

Search this Thread

Old June 19th, 2012, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by droptopron
I do what I can but I am not nearly as talented or experienced as a lot of guys on here. In addition, I have a 10'x20' one car garage, w full time job with a 3 he commute each day, ahouse to maintain, and a wife & two kids. I love my car but realize that some things it needs are beyond the scope of services I can provide and some jobs are too big for the time I have to put into it. There is nothing wrong with that.
Nope, nothing wrong with that. The point really was that there are guys who know nothing about cars, and don't really want to, and they buy something new and try to impress guys with old cars that they built themselves. There's something fundamentally different between recurving your distributor and reprogramming your "infotainment" system. I'd argue that real car guys gravitate towards one, and away from the other.
Old June 19th, 2012, 11:28 AM

When someone says you price is too much the answer is it might be too much for them but not the car.
Oh man...I gotta write that one down. It is gooood. It's a good solid driver but not worth that much.
Old June 19th, 2012, 03:51 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

I find it very funny when people at shows look at my air cleaner and then say..."cool,you have the rocket engine and not the regular Olds engine".

I should start telling them it was alot of red tape to go thru to get NASA to agree to sell me rocket fuel.

Last edited by w-30dreamin; June 19th, 2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old June 19th, 2012, 07:04 PM
delete

Originally Posted by Intragration
The point really was that there are guys who know nothing about cars, and don't really want to, and they buy something new and try to impress guys with old cars that they built themselves.
I do see plenty of tools that buy cars done & try to pass it off like they did it themselves. That's just douchy. If you bought it just say that.
Old June 19th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Banned

I do see plenty of tools that buy cars done & try to pass it off like they did it themselves. That's just douchy. If you bought it just say that.
Not just the car shows, there's alot of them at the race track also.

Car club gatherings are OK at night because it cool outside and cars look better at night, or atleast my car does. They are a great alternative when I don't feel like racing.

I use to like going to Drive-In Movies in my HotRod's but unfortunately the last one closed about 15 years ago here in Orlando.

The Corvette guys are usually successful fella's who rather talk about how much money they make or their golf swing and the piece they have on the side, then talk about their cars. lol

Last edited by SBORule; June 19th, 2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old June 19th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Gee, I wonder what people say about my less than perfect car Oh, wait a minute, I do not give a s--t!I am there to show what I have saved, and learn what others have done. How do you know that they did not do it themselves, or at least some of it?
Some guys I know just do not get their hands dirty, but love their ride, and are enthusiastic about it-is this the kind of stuff that makes them "douchy"?

Ted
Old June 19th, 2012, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by sammy
Some guys I know just do not get their hands dirty, but love their ride, and are enthusiastic about it-is this the kind of stuff that makes them "douchy"? Ted
I think specifically what he was talking about was guys who don't do anything on their own cars, but say that they do. This IS kind of douchy IMO. My paint is shot and it shows. When it's time to repaint it, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not doing it myself.

Last edited by Intragration; June 19th, 2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old June 19th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by Intragration
I think specifically what he was talking about was guys who don't do anything on their own cars, but say that they do. This IS kind of douchy IMO.
Maybe I am missing something,it has happened at least once or twice, BUT , why would anyone lie about working on their car???
Old June 19th, 2012, 10:03 PM
1974 DELTA 88

Originally Posted by w-30dreamin
I find it very funny when people at shows look at my air cleaner and then say..."cool,you have the rocket engine and not the regular Olds engine".

I should start telling them it was alot of red tape to go thru to get NASA to agree to sell me rocket fuel.
That's a funny one!
Old June 19th, 2012, 10:05 PM

Maybe I am missing something,it has happened at least once or twice, BUT , why would anyone lie about working on their car???
Exactly.
Old June 20th, 2012, 04:53 AM

Yea, gotta agree about lot's of people asking strange questions, as you guys must know the weird old guy living next door to me. No way of getting rid of this guy, so just learned to ignore him now. Recall when I'd take my 77' to shows years ago, and has a keyless alarm/entry on it, before most knew what they were. I'd pop the trunk for a snack, and you wouldn't believe how many people asked, if the car came this way from the factory. I'd say, of course it did, Oldsmobile has been doing this for years. They'd just walk away scratching their heads, half believing it.
Old June 20th, 2012, 05:43 AM

I have the best of the worst... Since depending on mood, I hit up shows with either my 78 Holiday 88 or my 01 Mustang Bullitt. Sticking with the Olds first...

I've heard too many times that "I've had one JUST LIKE THAT!" or with the Hurst Dual-Gate, I've been asked multiple times if I knew how rare my Hurst/Olds is. I have been told by guy that he went to the Olds factory in California to pick up his Hurst 88 from the Olds factory. I laugh normally, and tell those without the knowledge to know that I put the Dual Gate in myself, but that a Holiday 88 is a rare animal on it's on.

The Bullitt however, I got bit by my own ignorance. When I saw it sitting on the lot, I walked over and started talking to the salesman. I took a good look at the car and said... "This thing has fancy calipers, aluminum intake, missing the foglights, and it's blue... So this one ain't a real Bullitt." It took $4000 off their asking price. Little did I know, I had one of 623 real deal True Blue Bullitts. And it was absolutely bone stock and correct!!! Now I know better, and if I don't know, I ask!
Old June 20th, 2012, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by fdwheelman

I've heard too many times that "I've had one JUST LIKE THAT!"
I get that all the time. Friday night, a guy told me his was the same as mine except that his had the original "Four Forty Two" in it. Maybe he mis-remembered? .
Old June 20th, 2012, 06:37 AM
Administrator

I generally go easy on the ignorant! But with stupid people no holds barred! I don't really care if the person showing his car bought it or built it, if they know what they are talking about! There is the pride in ownership!

I've had cars I built, and the Plymouth was the only one I bought! It was unique and generally was the only one at shows. With the Plymouth, it was an older resto, that I cleaned up and personalized to what I wanted. Btw It was the only car in the recent past I actually made money on when I sold it! The Cutlass if I can break even I'll be happy!

Most at car shows go there out of love for cars! What I don't understandabout car shows, is we are the ones with the product and the spectators get in free!
Old June 20th, 2012, 06:39 AM

once in a while, and i mean ONCE IN A WHILE, i get some guys that truly know what they are looking at and it's refreshing. i had an older fellow, probably in his 70's, come up to me one time and said "i kissed my wife for the first time in a 65 olds cutlass convertible, i remember it like it was yesterday!!" i like that type of stuff, when you know it's genuine....the guy knew the exact year and that it was an olds cutlass, and he just kinda walked around the car then checked out the interior. you could tell he had memories racing through his head. before he left, he said "i don't think she would have liked me if it had been a hard top." that was great!!
Old June 20th, 2012, 08:42 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

I was at one of the big American cars shows in England last weekend.
I have been going for 20 years, never bringing a car that had a hope of winning any trophies.
All kinds of cars show up, beaters, clean cars, better than showroom condition, old classics, muscle cars, grocery getters (most of mine have been in this category), vans and trucks, and a few bikes. The Indian owners club used to have their show at the same time.
In all cases its talking with the owners that help me form an opinion about the cars. Some cars are not in great shape but it is clear the owner is doing their best for the car with a limited budget and time, I have great respect for these guys (and gals) because that's where I fit in.
Others may be in A1 shape because the owner has the time and expertise to make it so or writes checks to achieve this. I also have plenty of time for such people, if my lotto numbers come up I will have a mint '59 Cadillac and my fiance will be rolling up in an equally mint '56 Thunderbird, and we would be camping in a mint Airstream as well.

I don't have much time for the people who pick holes in all the cars they see and less still for those who let their kids put their sticky fingers over someones pride and joy or lean over cars with belt buckles touching the paintwork.

If I like a particular car I will try to talk with the owner, they normally love to talk about it and will tell me what they know about it. If they think I show enough respect often they allow me and Linda to sit in the car and pose for pictures too. Not every owner wants to do this which I understand and respect too.

We get plenty of know nothings telling anyone who cares to listen about Buick Roadrunners, Cadillac Regencies, Chevrolet Imperials and so on. Someone once told me my Gbody Cutlass wagon was a custom build because Oldsmobile never made one!.

But if anyone has paid their entrance fee to attend the show I say let them have a fun day, if you don't care for them or their comments ignore them and enjoy the show as you want to.

Roger.
Old June 20th, 2012, 08:56 AM
delete

Some guys I know just do not get their hands dirty, but love their ride, and are enthusiastic about it-is this the kind of stuff that makes them "douchy"?

Ted
That is fine and I fall into that camp with a lot of the work done on my car. I am talking specifically about guys that talk about spinning wrenches when the most used tool in their tool box is their check book.
Old June 20th, 2012, 09:18 AM

i guess i fall in the middle, cuz i do alot on my own, and i have alot done for me. it depends how comfortable i feel doing things myself. i have paid for body work and paint, i have paid for major jobs like disc brake conversion, suspension upgrades, seat upholstery, convertible top install & engine work. but easier things like my aftermarket guages, interior trim, carpet, steering wheel, exhaust components, vent window seals, engine dress up...i like to do these things myself. some jobs are just out of my league, i'll admit it. some jobs i just don't have the tools or knowledge to do it right, it's that simple. i can swallow my pride and admit when something is out of my league. i like things to be done right, that's what is important to me. if people ask me about a certain upgrade or feature, i'll be honest and say if i did it or had someone else do it. i don't take credit for other peoples work.
Old June 20th, 2012, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by 1965cutlassragtop
i guess i fall in the middle, cuz i do alot on my own, and i have alot done for me. it depends how comfortable i feel doing things myself. i have paid for body work and paint, i have paid for major jobs like disc brake conversion, suspension upgrades, seat upholstery, convertible top install & engine work. but easier things like my aftermarket guages, interior trim, carpet, steering wheel, exhaust components, vent window seals, engine dress up...i like to do these things myself. some jobs are just out of my league, i'll admit it. some jobs i just don't have the tools or knowledge to do it right, it's that simple. i can swallow my pride and admit when something is out of my league. i like things to be done right, that's what is important to me. if people ask me about a certain upgrade or feature, i'll be honest and say if i did it or had someone else do it. i don't take credit for other peoples work.
Old June 20th, 2012, 02:27 PM

When I had buicks I always heard people talking about the air cleaner decal as the engine size but it was really the torque. so many times you hear people say "I did this or I did that" and it really means I had it done. I only started doing my own restos years ago because i could save money and get a better job. if I had tons of cash I would love to drop off a car and say see you in a year. the other day I was in my 67 toro (still for sale by the way on this site) and had a group of dudes in a 94-96 impala ss next to me and snickering. They were shocked when I laid two FWD black marks all the way through the intersection we were stopped at. They then had alot of curious questions after that! I'm still in my 30's and fear I may be the last of an old car lover generation.
Old June 24th, 2012, 10:10 PM

I remembered this thread when I was at a small show and shine this weekend and i overheard a couple of guys looking at my 68 olds 442 and one guy told the other very confident.... yea thats a chevelle with a 442 motor in it after he saw my badges.

Then another guy really rubbed me the wrong way when I told him I had a 400 in my car and he said oldsmobile didnt make a 400 and that I probably had a 403 or a 350... I guess he knows more about my car than I do and Ive only owned it 8 years now.
Old July 24th, 2012, 11:08 AM
It's a sickness!

Couldn't tell you how many people have commented on the fact that I have the 442ci engine in the car. Well at least I know they can read.
Copyof455TriPower2.jpg
Old July 24th, 2012, 12:23 PM

I am still hunting down one to restore, but I have seen this behavior at car shows over and over again. Sometimes it is funny, sometimes it is infuriating. I know more about Oldsmobile's then Chevy's, and Mopar's, Ford for me is a close second to Olds, but I am certainly no expert in any of them. When I go to car shows I don't take a grain of salt, I take about 20# of it because I am sure that there are a lot of people there that don't know the difference between a Burro and a Burrow when it comes to their own cars. I am uncertain if they just don't know anything or if they are just sitting there B.S.-ing under the shade tree.

As to who does the work, I will also admit that I neither have the equipment, or more importantly, the expertise to do the machine work on the motor or do any type of body/paint work. That will be farmed out, but I plan on doing the rest myself, at least as much as I can. Full credit will be given to those who do the work that I am unable to tackle.

After my restoration is done I plan on making a sign that I will place in front of my car when I take it to shows. The title is simple:

This is a 1967 Oldsmobile 442

What it is not:
  • 442 It is not pronounced "four-fourty-two," or "four-hundred-and-fourty-two" (yes I have heard that one before )
  • 442 It is not the displacement of the motor
  • 442 It is not the hp or torque of the motor
  • This is not a large or small-block Chevy, Pontiac, or Buick motor
  • It is not a Buick Skylark or Wildcat, Chevy Chevelle, a Pontiac Tempest or GTO and is certainly not a Ford, Dodge, Studebaker, etc.
  • 442 is not a ex-Police car number (yes...heard that one too...though I suppose the 'police connection' could be argued reasonably)

What it is:
  • It is an Oldsmobile assembled in <plant to be determined>
  • 442 is pronounced "four-four-two"
  • 442 means 4-speed, 4-barrel, and dual (2) exhaust
  • It is a 400 cubic inch OLDSMOBILE motor with <enter hp and torque here>
Old July 24th, 2012, 01:59 PM

My favorite one is
Bystander: "Does that the 442 in it?"
Me: "Well no sir its a Cutlass S it has an Oldsmobile 350 Rocket, 442 is a model of cutlass not a motor."
Bystander: "How come you put a chevy small block in it? It sounds good for a small block though."

Does anyone else get thier Cutlass mistaken for a chevelle? I seem to get it all the time.
Old July 24th, 2012, 06:42 PM

My car has been mistaken for a Belair or a Buick but mostly I just get, what is it? The older the group the more they seems to recognize it and of course you get the proverbial I had one just like it( pick a era in time at least 40 years ago) but it was a hardtop with 4 doors and it was green and a Dodge... Go figure

But who cares I'm there to talk cars and promote a nostalgia trip through time.....Still lost in the fifties.....Tedd
Old July 25th, 2012, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by XMWZ001
My favorite one is
Bystander: "Does that the 442 in it?"
Me: "Well no sir its a Cutlass S it has an Oldsmobile 350 Rocket, 442 is a model of cutlass not a motor."
Bystander: "How come you put a chevy small block in it? It sounds good for a small block though."

Does anyone else get thier Cutlass mistaken for a chevelle? I seem to get it all the time.
Mine was mistaken for a....Plymouth! There is no "Oldsmobile" anywhere on the outside of my car. Guy and his girlfriend are looking under the hood at my 455.

Girl: This is nice, what is it? ( I stand up to go over and tell her.
Guy looking around and seeing "442" Ah, it's a Plymouth. I don't say a word now.
Girl: How do you know?
Guy: Because he has a four forty two in it (in a lower voice - I don't know why he has a 440 two barrel, I'd stick on a 4 barrell on it.
Old July 25th, 2012, 07:02 AM
It's a sickness!

Here's the one that baffles me.......

In 1969, they produced just over 4200 convertible 442's. I find it interesting that I have met thousands of people that say they owned one "just like it".

When at car shows with the 2010 SS, I meet many less that have owned any version of this body style. They have already made 300,000 of this car.... and most of them are still on the road.
Old July 25th, 2012, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Toyaholic
Here's the one that baffles me.......

In 1969, they produced just over 4200 convertible 442's. I find it interesting that I have met thousands of people that say they owned one "just like it".

When at car shows with the 2010 SS, I meet many less that have owned any version of this body style. They have already made 300,000 of this car.... and most of them are still on the road.
The older the car the more memory loss, it crosses over all models and makes......Tedd