General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Full manual reverse valve body (turbo 350)

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2012, 05:16 AM

Full manual reverse valve body (turbo 350)

This is my first turbo 350 with a full manual reverse valve body with trans brake. I was just wondering how to drive it on the street? I was told not to downshift while slowing down, and to just put it into first when I stop. What I was wondering is if I am not going fast enough to shift into 3rd, can I leave it in second? Like when driving in a neighborhood I will shift out of first onto second and let off of the gas and coast to a stop sign. Is this okay cause in a way it is like downshifting. Any tips on how to drive with this trans on the street would be great. Thanks.
Old November 26th, 2012, 07:02 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ATrain1
This is my first turbo 350 with a full manual reverse valve body with trans brake. I was just wondering how to drive it on the street? I was told not to downshift while slowing down, and to just put it into first when I stop. What I was wondering is if I am not going fast enough to shift into 3rd, can I leave it in second? Like when driving in a neighborhood I will shift out of first onto second and let off of the gas and coast to a stop sign. Is this okay cause in a way it is like downshifting. Any tips on how to drive with this trans on the street would be great. Thanks.
If it's fully manual then the trans will stay in whatever gear the shifter is in. Up and downshift like a manual. You will want to be careful to match RPMs when you downshift, as downshifting too soon will cause a jerk and will eventually wear the clutches as well as beat up the u-joints. Don't overthink this.