General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

fuel hose issue

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2016 | 04:54 AM

fuel hose issue

I know that this is a stupid question, but I have never really had to mess with one, so fire away.

The hose that runs from my fuel pump to the metal fuel line has some dry rot and needs to be replaced. When I pull the hose off of the line to do this will gas constantly flow out, or does it need the car running and the fuel pump operating for that to happen. If it is going to flow, what is the easiest way to plug the metal line while getting the replacement hose?
Old July 7th, 2016 | 05:10 AM
Administrator

If it is the inlet to the pump, yes fuel will flow out as its gravity fed from the tank which is higher than the pump. Although the pressure side of the pump is normally steel there are some occasions where it has been replaced and there will be some fuel that runs out of it.

What I normally do for fuel lines is to have the hose precut and clamps ready to install and try to reassemble as quick as I can to minimize the fuel spill.
Old July 7th, 2016 | 12:27 PM
Mr. Johnson

What oldcutlass said, be quick and open the tank to remove any pressure THEN tighten the cap back down to reduce flow. Don't forget the clamps first then line.
Old July 8th, 2016 | 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by rjohnson442
What oldcutlass said, be quick and open the tank to remove any pressure THEN tighten the cap back down to reduce flow. Don't forget the clamps first then line.

Do you know what size for the hose? That was the main reason that I was thinking about plugging the metal fuel line first. I figured that after pulling the hose, I would run over to the local parts store to make sure that I got the correct one.
Old July 8th, 2016 | 09:24 AM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by chip-powell
Do you know what size for the hose? That was the main reason that I was thinking about plugging the metal fuel line first. I figured that after pulling the hose, I would run over to the local parts store to make sure that I got the correct one.

The hose will most likely be 3/8... Cut the hose about one inch from the end of the steel tube, push in a 3/8 bolt and hold in place with a clamp... This should minimize any fuel leakage until you return with the new hose... If by chance you have a 5/16 line, repeat the process with a 5/16 bolt...
Old July 8th, 2016 | 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
The hose will most likely be 3/8... Cut the hose about one inch from the end of the steel tube, push in a 3/8 bolt and hold in place with a clamp... This should minimize any fuel leakage until you return with the new hose... If by chance you have a 5/16 line, repeat the process with a 5/16 bolt...
Buy both before starting since it's under $2/ft at most parts stores. A golf tee make a nice temporary plug too.
Old July 8th, 2016 | 12:31 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Take a pair of long nose vise grips and pinch the hose right at the steel line. Then cut it off and take it to the parts store and buy the matching size. If you don't have any long nose vise grips use hookem horns plan.
Old July 8th, 2016 | 12:38 PM

Thanks guys.
Old July 8th, 2016 | 01:40 PM

Use low pressure air to clear the from the carb back to the tank....10psi will work.

Then replace all of your rubber hose with fuel injection hose.

It has a liner that is impervious to ethanol, and lasts much longer than regular hose.
Old July 8th, 2016 | 01:55 PM

When replacing the fuel hoses which attach to the short segments of hard line which run through the frame, make sure you slide the hoses far enough onto the hard lines to protect the hard lines from the edges of the openings in the frame. If you allow the hard lines to rub directly against the frame, they will eventually wear through. Ask me how I know. This is shown in the Assembly Manual (and maybe the Chassis Service Manual?).
Old July 8th, 2016 | 07:34 PM

Check the hoses at the tank also, they are often neglected as they are out-of-sight. If the line at the pump is bad these probably are also. For changing the front line use the tips suggested and if you can park on a hill nose-up to help the situation.

If you change the hoses at the tank be careful as the fuel may leak onto you. Don't use any old style HOT drop/trouble lights, gasoline on a hot light bulb...not good!
Old July 8th, 2016 | 08:03 PM

The easiest solution is to drive it almost empty, pull the hose, and drain into a short, wide, tote, if you want no mess it all. Corvettes suck for doing this, their tank is way up there above the rear end.
Old July 19th, 2016 | 08:29 AM

Fixed...with no leakage! I put front end up the night before on some stands. This morning when I pulled off the old, dry rotted line, it was dry as a bone. No gas at all coming out.

I like 10 minute fixes where no problems come up.

By the way, it was a 3/8 inch hose.

Thanks again.