General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Fuel cooler?

Search this Thread

Old September 2nd, 2017, 12:28 PM

Fuel cooler?

I heard about using a cooling can for making the fuel colder to improve performance. Putting ice in the can, etc.

I found a diesel fuel radiator on summit racing, can I achieve a similar cooling effect by using an air cooled radiator to cool my fuel?
I would want to put a small electric fan on it with a switch.

I was considering putting it in series on the feed line between my fuel tank and my fuel pump (mechanical pump on the block).
My fuel pump has a return line back to the tank, I figure this would also help to cool the fuel in the tank as well depending on how much circulates through my pump and how hot the ambient temps are.

it is a 71 olds 455 v8. the tank is a 24 gallon tank.

on a super hot 90+ degree day my gasoline tank got hot enough that my fuel started to bubble/boil and cause fuel vapor buildup and exes venting out the cap. That happened after 35 minutes of freeway driving and a few accelerations. I cooled the tank enough to stop the boiling fuel by spraying it with cold water from the garden hose at the end of the day. I assume my exhaust is also partly to blame for the heat as it dumps by the rear axle (its a work in progress). 85'F or less and there is no issues so I have time.

Thoughts?
Old September 2nd, 2017, 01:35 PM
Old(s) Fart

Cool cans are for drag racing where you are trying to get the last few hundreths of a second reduction to your E.T. Performance-wise you will NEVER see, feel, or measure a difference in your Caddy. Percolation is a different issue, but there are better ways to deal with that, particularly a fuel return line.
Old September 2nd, 2017, 02:30 PM
Administrator

If your exhaust is causing the tank to get that hot, I would fix that issue first.