General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Freeze and Release

Search this Thread

Old June 11th, 2015, 05:38 PM

Freeze and Release

I was working on my truck today, front wheel u-joint, and couldn't get the hub bolts out for nothin'. I sprayed them down yesterday with PB Blaster and torched them with my MAP gas setup but still nothing. I also broke two wrenches, a SnapOn and another name brand ( I can't recall), using a breaker bar.
The fella at Napa said he's had customers swear by Loctite's Freeze and Release. It isn't cheap, $20 a can and I used the whole thing, but those bolts came right out. I also used it on the hub itself when my three-arm puller wasn't doing the trick. Helped there too.
I have no stake in the company, although maybe I should. Just thought I'd pass this on.
Old June 12th, 2015, 04:21 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

I'd never heard of this until I read your post. I was intrigued so I looked it up.
The temperature shock effect makes good sense, and clearly it worked for you.
I seems it is readily available over here, I shall buy some to be ready for the next time I have a stubborn bolt or fastener.

Thanks for sharing!.

Roger.
Old June 12th, 2015, 04:46 AM

That's how we pull snowmobile clutches that have been stuck on for 40 years here in the frozen nort woods.
Stand the engine up, remove the clutch bolt, poor in water until it's full, screw in clutch puller bolt loosely, but with pipe thread sealing tape. Set the engine outside anytime between December and mid-March, and let the below zero air do it's thing. In the morning, bring in the engine and clutch that has been popped off by the hydro-pressure of the ice.
You cannot believe how well this works until you try it.

Last edited by twintracks; June 12th, 2015 at 04:48 AM.
Old June 12th, 2015, 06:38 AM

Interesting....
Looks like the contents are similar to those 'canned air' spray dusters for electronic equip....with some kerosene thrown in as the penetrant.

Funny...I've gone through cases of canned air and know the cans/spray gets super cold after a short time spraying, but never thought to use it as a thermal shocker for stuck fasteners. Now I do !
Old June 12th, 2015, 07:42 AM
Photoshop God

Thanks for sharing that!
Old June 12th, 2015, 08:08 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by twintracks
In the morning, bring in the engine and clutch that has been popped off by the hydro-pressure of the ice.
You cannot believe how well this works until you try it.
Clever, but completely unrelated to how the Loctite product being discussed works. You are using the expansion of ice as it freezes to act as a press. The Loctite product uses thermal shock to shrink the bolt and loosen the rust. Two totally different operations, each of which has it's place.
Old June 12th, 2015, 01:55 PM

I'm wondering if heating the area around the bolt, and then shock-freezing the bolt head would help as well.
I just wish it were a little cheaper. $20 and it doesn't last long. Granted, the hub is much larger than a single bolt head and I went slowly all around the seam. I would think one can could do a single exhaust manifold. The can says to spray 5-10 seconds. I went ten; I was tired of that dern stuck bolt. If you could get by with 5 seconds, it would last much longer.
Old June 13th, 2015, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Clever, but completely unrelated to how the Loctite product being discussed works. You are using the expansion of ice as it freezes to act as a press. The Loctite product uses thermal shock to shrink the bolt and loosen the rust. Two totally different operations, each of which has it's place.

No s___ Joe. Looking forward to meeting you at the Nationals.

Jerry

Last edited by twintracks; June 13th, 2015 at 07:00 AM.