General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Found pictures of old wrecking yard

Search this Thread

Old December 19th, 2008, 08:45 PM

Found pictures of old wrecking yard

I added a reply to the message about the wrecking yard near Walla Walla Washington. I updated it with photos and a link to more photos. Check it out, and see how many cars you can identify! John
Old December 21st, 2008, 11:33 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I added a reply to the message about the wrecking yard near Walla Walla Washington. I updated it with photos and a link to more photos. Check it out, and see how many cars you can identify! John
You sure that's Walla Walla and not your back yard??? Just kidding. Lots of opportunities sitting their waiting for a builder. Thanks for the link, it was fun to look through. Noticed a Vista Cruiser - 66 or 67?? waiting for someone to come and get. Sad to say, I remember when some of these cars were new or probably still running. Mind you the one with the big *** tree growing through the engine compt would present a little challenge......
Old December 21st, 2008, 12:48 PM

Well... due to a friend asking me I did go out and count the "collection" in my yard so I could honestly answer him and I'm down to 24 cars. Maybe 10 of those are keepers that I daydream of restoring, the others are for parts or projects to trade for what I need.

I hope those cars haven't gone to the crusher, the fact that they're in a remote part of the state helps. When I was there the owner was a 74 year old woman, and her late husband had run the yard. I heard about it from a guy on 442.com and when I knocked on her door she told me to go see if I could find anything I wanted. One car I didn't photograph was a 1955 Olds 2 door complete down to the hubcaps. She had said it came in under it's own power, but was burning oil. The interior was ratty, but it wasn't rusty or smashed up and she offered it to me for $400. That was the price for any car in the yard. In fact most of the cars didn't have body damage but looked like they had just been parked. My favorite picture is the one with the tree through the engine compartment. It was a cottonwood or willow tree, something that grows fast. But that car had obviously not moved for many years! There were several 2 door wagons, Fords and Studebakers, so her husband must have had a thing for them. It was also strange that many of the cars had the door removed, but on one side of the yard were stacks of door, hoods and trunk lids. I've heard of places like this in the Dakota's and other dry mid-western states, but this is the only time I'd actually wandered through a collection of old cars like this. John
Old December 21st, 2008, 05:16 PM

Haven't found the link yet ozoneblue vintageozarks.com
Old December 21st, 2008, 06:07 PM

Sorry Ozone, I've mixed two messages here. The message with photos and the link is:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ashington.html