General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Floor Tile

Search this Thread

Old November 28th, 2020, 02:29 PM
Oldscarnut

Floor Tile

For and Early Christmas present and January retirement, my lovely wife and Oldsmobile Apprentice got me a garage floor. You will note that her half is done. It took about 8 hours with cleaning and rearranging. I still have some cutting and fitting around the edges and the post. The 2nd half agreement is that the El Camino must move under its own power. Along with that requirement is hauling a lot of stuff on my side to the dump, (V-6, TH250C, Buick parts and exhaust, and other stuff). I think it is a good plan, and there are a few obstacles but a labor of love nonetheless.
Old November 28th, 2020, 02:31 PM

Cool. Just don't ever drop any small parts and expect to easily find them.
Old November 28th, 2020, 02:58 PM
Oldscarnut

I suspect floor jacks and jack stands will require wood under them too. I plan to have a good magnet and if all else fails the shop vac will do the work. Cardboard is down to catch drips too
Old November 28th, 2020, 03:00 PM

A bright flashlight and a sheet of paper to use as a scraper work well. I would hate to try and dig anything out of my shop vac. Ugh.
Old November 28th, 2020, 03:04 PM
Oldscarnut

My shop vac is a cool little Sears one with a filter. I generally empty it out after using it and often find washers, nuts, bolts and screws I didn't even know I sucked up.
Old December 2nd, 2020, 06:00 PM

Floor looks great, that’s a project I need to do.
Old December 4th, 2020, 08:39 AM
Oldscarnut

To me it was an easy decision, and I was surprised that it was about half the cost I expected. Mine had a total of 514 tiles and 22 edges. Don't take the original quote. They will come with a second one about 10% cheaper and offer free shipping to close the deal. It was amazing, 7 boxes arrived from UPS about a week after payment. The boxes are squares if 4 that can be started or broken up, which is what I had to do because of my pattern. 3 colors made it much harder with the pattern I designed. I would recommend simpler. I did half the garage in about 8 hours with a little help from my son. I am 68 and it was not overwhelmingly hard but for me all the up and down and bending over plus stepping on every edge of every tile to get it "snapped" wore me out. In another month or so I will finish the second side and the top and right side edges which will involve cutting the tiles in half. The number of tiles I bought took into account the edges so I will have some extra tiles, but not many. The final cost should be about $3 a tile. My wife likes it a lot that she no longer has dirty, dusty, cold concrete to walk on. I have not seen a down side yet except the expense which I think was worth it!.
Old December 4th, 2020, 08:45 AM
Oldscarnut

I lost a small washer, like there is a black hole under my tiles