General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Flood of NOS parts?

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2009, 08:16 AM
Geezer

Flood of NOS parts?

With over 1,000 GM dealerships more or less getting the axe it struck me there is likely to be a Flood of more recent NOS parts hitting the market as those disenfranchised dealers seek to raise cash from parts inventory on hand. Of course most of the parts will be for cars less than seven years old, but many of the older smaller dealerships will have "dead" parts inventory going back well beyond seven years and those parts will be picked up by someone and will begin appearing on ebay and at swap meets within the next few months. Bargains to be expected?
Old June 1st, 2009, 08:22 AM

Those parts were pretty much dead 10 years after the model year. I can't imagine much showing up 30 years later beyond that.
Old June 1st, 2009, 09:42 AM
Geezer

Originally Posted by Nilsson
Those parts were pretty much dead 10 years after the model year. I can't imagine much showing up 30 years later beyond that.

What parts are you talking about? It is clear that any specific year parts in any dealer inventory which is beyond seven years after model year introduction is considered "Dead" inventory. That doesn't mean many older dealerships do not have a lot of bucks sitting on the shelf in parts that have been accumulated for years due to poor parts department management.

It hasn't been that long ago that I acquired a large quantity of vintage Cadillac parts from a smaller town Cadillac dealer making a move to new facilities from those which it had occupied since 1957. Some of the parts I acquired were for 1956 and 1957 model Cadillacs and had been sitting on the shelves for over 48 years. There will be a lot of old Olds applicable parts hitting the swap meets and the likes of ebay as former GM combination dealerships begin liquidating their GM parts. Many of those dealerships will have parts in excess of thirty years in age.

There are unfortunately GM dealers who have been in business for over fifty years that are being axed and have huge inventories of old obsolete parts. There is a now product combineation dealership were I live that has been in business as a GM dealership for nearly 105 years, having been one of the first Buick dealerships. I'd love to get in their warehouse. They just recently restored a 1940 Buick to use as an advertisement and claim to have done so primarily from their own parts inventory. I suspect it is a valid claim. Fortunately, they are not being axed.

Last edited by Texascarnut; June 1st, 2009 at 09:45 AM.