General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

a few questions

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2010, 06:41 PM

a few questions

1. can pluggin the pcv make the crank case pressure push oil out from between the block and intake?
2. ive been having a backfire through the carb and have read that this usually has something to do with timing. but i havent figured out what specifficly. i have tried a different carb and the prblem remained.
3. if anyone would be willing to come by and help me out it would be greatly appreciated, im usually pretty good with doing stuff myself but no. 2 is kicking my butt. pm me on this one.
Old August 21st, 2010, 09:04 PM
Oldsdruid

1) Yes. Engine has to have a crankcase air intake and a way to evacuate the crankcase. Old way was to use a road draft tube to pull vapors out. PCV does the same thing but sucks them back into the intake for reburn. A plugged PCV system, intentional or otherwise, will definitely cause pressurized oil vapor to seep out of any crack it can find.

2) Does the car still have points ignition? If it does, 1) check inside the distributor cap for cracking or carbon tracking and 2) replace the ignition condenser.

If you're that far into it might as well change points and rotor too.

Remember to set points dwell first, then timing. 30 degrees dwell on an Olds engine, timing is year/model specific.

Last edited by rocketraider; August 21st, 2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old August 21st, 2010, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider

2) Does the car still have points ignition? If it does, 1) check inside the distributor cap for cracking or carbon tracking and 2) replace the ignition condenser.
no, i have hei