General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Father's Day Car Show - w/Pics

Search this Thread

Old June 22nd, 2010, 03:22 PM
Registered

Father's Day Car Show - w/Pics

The Stan Hywet CCCA show Sunday was really nice, 53rd year there, very prestigous and a little snooty.
It's the former Seiberling family estate, Akron tire tycoons.
My friends all told me it was tough and not for the fainthearted with the Classic car club judging and competing against guys with wallets that can crush you... but what the hey?
The guy next to me had a Buhog GS that was fresh out of the shop after a two year professional frame-off resto, first show, came in first.
An orange '72 442 came in second in class, very nice car. Another Buhog GS convertible came in third, may have tied with another?
The head judge said they scored me high and the whole judging team loved the car and were complementing me profusely. Big time older than me antique car guys and demand correct down to the battery, belts and bulbs. If the spectators voted I would have won hands down. I heard more wagon and family stories, never had a chance to sleep it off...I mean relax or eat.
They all wanted to know where the third seat was, I knew that would happen when I got the car.
Some guys had to start their cars, judges did it randomly, everything has to work , all lights, horn, gauges, accessories. They check all the car's lights and horn, glass and window operation, the rest is up to them, had me put the rear window up and down, otherwise nothing but the lights and all that. The cars that had no chance looking at them had to do a lot, scaring them so they don't come back again?
I know what my car needs to even place there... join the CCCA first (politics) an mo' money.
Me and the judges know what I need but I won't tell, Sandy will tell every judge if I ever compete against her.

I took a few Olds pics when I got a breather. The guy with the black Starfire looked like Elvis.

"Look Mom!...A Vistis Cruiserus stationus wagonus !"
Old June 22nd, 2010, 04:11 PM

Very nice! Thanks for posting! Looks like a huge turnout!
Old June 22nd, 2010, 04:28 PM

Akron, Ohio.....ahhhhhhhh....the memories.....

I went to this show back in 1985 when I 1st got my Monte Carlo (71) it looks as nice there now as it did when I took my Dad to that show. I remeber 2 things: The grass was very wet and I was glad she was wearing BFG 255's by 15 on Vette rallyes, and there was an original AC Cobra here that some guy fired up and drove down the road( you could hear that 427 for miles) I had a great time there and will remember being there with my dad (he spotted a 59 black Mercedes) just like the one he brought back from Germany when he was stationed there with the military in the late 50's and early 60's He also had a Duesenburg staff car they rode to town in he said it used a quart of oil about every 5 miles.lol. great to see this show is still alive and kicking its a great Father Son Day out for sure! Oldsdroptop
Old June 22nd, 2010, 08:30 PM
Cutlass Lover

Very nice pics!! Hobknobing with the Goobersmoochers..... don't forget about us little people, lol! Looked like a great show with a lot of beautiful cars, and the weather was beautiful too! I thought for sure you'd win something there. Sounds like they're pretty persnickety - is that a Jamesbo word, lol?
Old June 22nd, 2010, 08:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Very nice pics!! Hobknobing with the Goobersmoochers..... don't forget about us little people, lol! Looked like a great show with a lot of beautiful cars, and the weather was beautiful too! I thought for sure you'd win something there. Sounds like they're pretty persnickety - is that a Jamesbo word, lol?
If goobersmoochers are guys that can't turn a wrench that have 30,000 dollar cars with $150-$200K restos you got it.
I knew I had no chance to begin with, this is the serious stuff, have to see what the lay of the land is then go for it on the next attempt with shows like that.
It's really hard to compete with trailered musclecars with no options, I have twice as much stuff to lose points on.
I need about another thousand bucks worth of parts and plating to get it up there, not out of reach but I have better things to spend my money on at the moment...lousy stinkin' college.
I now have the car sold for my price whenever I'm ready, the guy waited 8 years for the '70 Firebird he had at the show and has a big car collection, gold-chainer goobersmoocher.
I told him when I find a nicer one I'll sell him mine to buy it, he's going to be waiting a long time.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 09:06 AM
Cutlass Lover

Yep.... you described goobersmoochers down to a t!! God forbid they get a little grease under their fingernails!
Old June 23rd, 2010, 07:09 PM
GM Enthusiast

Looks like there were a lot of nice cars there. Thanks for posting Allan.