General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Factory AC or not?

Search this Thread

Old November 17th, 2019, 12:16 PM

Factory AC or not?

I have a 69 vert that a prior owner did many changes to. Installed a 455, posi rear, flames in an old paint job, etc. It has factory air, but while digging around under the dash I saw the fresh air opening with a damper. While speaking to a guy about parts he said if I had those vents where the kick panels go it did not come with factory air. It seems like a heck of a lot of work to transfer everything original. Could it have come with fresh air vents in the kick panels and AC?
thanks,
Steve
Old November 17th, 2019, 12:33 PM
Oldsdruid

Never seen one, but I learned long ago to never say never. Better way is to look on the body data plate underhood. If you see a C60 code on the data plate it is a factory air body because some of the stuff had to be done at the Fisher Body plant. The firewall openings are different and the factory A/C system runs airflow thru the passenger side kickpanel ducting.

That said, some non-air 1969 A-body cars had a power ventilation system. There were small blowers in each upper dash air duct, combined with the kickpanel vents. I've personally only seen them on Buick and Chevrolet A-body cars but the Fisher Body manual covers the system in detail so it was apparently available on all four A-body carlines.
Old November 17th, 2019, 12:52 PM

The car bodies started out the same, then things were done to differentiate. I think the hole in the firewall is bigger for AC. The two vents, left and right, got different fates. The left one got blocked off, but is simple enough to replace with a non air kick panel, remove the block off plate, and get it running. Remember to close it when running AC as I frequently do not.

The right one, like the man said, is the fresh air inlet for the ac system and should be vacuum motor driven, which is that large bellows disc with a hose on one end and a rod on the other.
Old November 17th, 2019, 01:36 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Phoenix8990
Could it have come with fresh air vents in the kick panels and AC?
No, it could not. It's not difficult to install the vent style kick panels on an A/C car. As noted, this would negate the recirculation function of the factory A/C.
Old November 17th, 2019, 02:08 PM

AC or not

"The right one, like the man said, is the fresh air inlet for the ac system and should be vacuum motor driven, which is that large bellows disc with a hose on one end and a rod on the other."

I've got that inlet with the bellow, but I also have a 3 1/2" outlet above it with a manual damper that would be cable controlled. Same on the DS.

Steve
Old November 17th, 2019, 02:36 PM
Old(s) Fart

Post pictures please. I don't understand what you are describing. The 1969 Holiday Coupes and Convertibles without A/C got two pull ***** on each side. One controlled the kick panel vent, the other controlled the vent in the dash pad. This was done because the 69s did not get vent windows in those body styles. When A/C was ordered, the kick panels were blank and the vents in the dash pad were used for A/C. There were no pull ***** on A/C cars.
Old November 18th, 2019, 05:25 AM

Factory AC?

I would of posted yesterday but had to go out. This is it. I have blocked it off with duct tape since when driving it blows open.
thanks,
Steve
Old November 18th, 2019, 05:56 AM

That's an odd one. Your lower side vacuum operated (recirc) valve is correct for a factory a/c car(& it looks to be original) but the upper one that's taped off shouldn't be there on an a/c car. The drivers side should have a plate bolts over the side vent opening, blocking it off. You can see the lever next to the tape for the upper vent cable for a non a/c car. All the factory a/c stuff can be added but it's allot of work!!! You'd have to do some serious mods on the firewall like moving the heater core etc. Can you post some under hood pic of the firewall???
Old November 18th, 2019, 06:27 AM

Factory AC?

This is the engine compartment. I find it hard to believe someone would go through all the effort unless maybe they paid a dealer to do it.

Steve
Old November 18th, 2019, 06:30 AM

Factory AC?

This is the engine compartment. I find it hard to believe someone would go through all the effort unless maybe they paid a dealer to do it.

Steve
Old November 18th, 2019, 06:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

How about a picture of the dash vent and the pull ****? That's what I was asking about.
Old November 18th, 2019, 07:25 AM

Factory AC?

I bought the car a year ago. I was not familiar with Cutlass' at all. The fan for heat and AC wasn't working so I contacted someone on the site about getting one. I also realized there was no duct connecting the 3 1/2" opening to the side dash vents or cables to operate it. In my conversation with the guy I found out I was missing all the under dash duct. He told me that if I had AC I should not have the 3 1/2" fresh air connection and hence I should not need cables. In his opinion someone had added AC to the car. The PS kick panel had no grille, but the DS did. There were no cables there. I don't have the history of this car and it appears someone has done something. The 3 1/2" openings do appear to be from the factory. Was a mistake made at the factory? FWIW the vin# is 336679M182047

Steve
Old November 18th, 2019, 07:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

And still not a picture of the vent in the dash or the pull **** in question...
Old November 18th, 2019, 07:55 AM

Factory AC?

As soon as I hit post I realized I hadn't included a pic. There were no pull *****.
thanks,
Steve

Last edited by Phoenix8990; November 18th, 2019 at 07:56 AM. Reason: forgot info