General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2024, 07:23 AM

Exhaust

Just a quick question. I finally need an exhaust on my 75 Delta Convertible and was thinking of putting on a dual exhaust system. It didn't come with the dual hump crossmember and i'm pretty sure I can locate one if needed. So my question is do i have the exhaust custom done or locate the correct crossmember. Just curious on the plus and minus of either. Thank You and have a safe Memorial Day .
Old May 23rd, 2024, 07:57 AM

Did one of these 75 delta's ever come with dual exhaust ? I don't believe they did, so finding a cross-member with cut outs for duals may not be possible, unless a cross-member from another car with duals would work... so you probably will need to take this to a shop that can custom bend a system for you..Also finding a dual system if the car never came with it may be a real problem as well. Time for a custom exhaust shop. I am sure it is possible to do..Also this car has a big old converter under the pass side floor board if i remember correctly. Getting around that maybe a real problem as well. UNLESS YOU ARE THINKING OF,,,, NO YOU WOULD NOT DO THAT ????? LOL.....

Last edited by zl1 camaro; May 23rd, 2024 at 08:08 AM.
Old May 23rd, 2024, 08:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

I'm not sure what you mean by a "custom exhaust", as you will need the 71-74 double hump crossmember no matter what. All 1975 GM cars came with a single exhaust and catalytic converter, and in most cases the trans crossmember only accommodated the one pipe.
Old May 23rd, 2024, 09:19 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Get the double hump crossmember and find you a good muffler shop. Nobody is going to care about the catalytic converter so have it removed. You might want to make your muffler selection and take them with you. There is a vast selection of muffler depending on the sound you want. Many of use Dynomax Super Turbos wihich give a nice mellow sound. This will be one of the best improvements you can make to your car. Your butt dyno will make you think you have added 50HP.
Old May 23rd, 2024, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
get the double hump crossmember and find you a good muffler shop. Nobody is going to care about the catalytic converter so have it removed. You might want to make your muffler selection and take them with you. There is a vast selection of muffler depending on the sound you want. Many of use dynomax super turbos wihich give a nice mellow sound. This will be one of the best improvements you can make to your car. Your butt dyno will make you think you have added 50hp.
no one is going to care about the converter ??? If you live in nys or many other states they will care., car will not pass insp. IF IT WERE A 1974 NO PROBLEM..CK WITH YOUR STATE INSP OFFICE BEFORE DOING IT. Just a fyi !!

Last edited by zl1 camaro; May 23rd, 2024 at 10:02 AM.
Old May 23rd, 2024, 10:07 AM

Safety only after 25 years in NYC.

Depending on his location he may have aged out...

Old May 23rd, 2024, 10:31 AM

IN my state if the car left the factory with emission equipment on it, it must still be present, air pump,egr valve, pcv, cat ,heat tube etc..
Old May 23rd, 2024, 10:34 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I guess you can forget about putting dual exhaust on it. Maybe you could use twin high flow cats. I have them on my 75 Hurst. Of course in Texas, nobody cares if I have them at all.
Old May 23rd, 2024, 10:36 AM

He's in MA... so just the safety test
Hmmm maybe I should pull the cat off my car too
Old May 23rd, 2024, 11:45 AM

This will be one of the best improvements you can make to your car. Your butt dyno will make you think you have added 50HP.
Absolutely.

5000 LBS and a big ole THM400 taxing that poor 350. The extra HP and Torque will be a win win.

Maybe you could use twin high flow cats. I have them on my 75 Hurst.
Hear hear !

Harp if cats are optional, but you are leaning with them anyway i would recommend hi flow, also. Work well and do not hurt performance as best i can see with my 69.

These below are great and the price is a gift !