General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Engine Trouble, Major Smokecreen or No?

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2015, 05:41 PM

Engine Trouble, Major Smokecreen or No?

Guy has an 84 88 on ebay with blown engine. Here is what he writes and what was told to him by a repair shop. I vote BS...

For those wondering what caused such degradation on the engine - which was the quietest, the smoothest, and the most balanced one out of all 16 big American cars I've had in the past - here are the facts: 1. sometime in April 2014 after noticing some minor engine hesitations during idle / cold run I decided to have the car checked out by a local garage. After troubleshooting, they called me telling me that the car needs a new distributor cap and brush plus all 8 new spark plugs (premium quality). The job was agreed and done, the car running beautifully again as before. 2. about two weeks later, the symptoms came back and since the previous job was under warranty, I dropped the car again at the same local garage. This time, they told me that the new distributor cap and brush failed, also that they discovered a short in one spark plug wire (plus suggested to have the catalytic converter replaced). The job was agreed and done, the car running beautifully again as before. 3. about three weeks later, the minor hesitations on the cold engine returned, so I dropped the car again at the garage. This time, they told me that the engine needs to have all 7 remaining spark plugs wires replaced (with the new ones that I saved in the trunk out of the set of 8). During the job - as attested by a third-party garage based on their own investigation - the local garage failed to follow the firing order plus they did not properly secured / attached one of the 7 wires, so that the engine misfired, also ran with 7 cylinders only instead of all 8. As a result, the oil pressure dropped to the extreme bottom of 30 psi, also the internal combustion became very weak and inefficient causing a serious anomaly and disturbance for lifters and rocker arms (that started to make noises and remained in either open position or some stopped working entirely). Such damage is irreversible and permanent.
Old January 10th, 2015, 07:00 PM

Just goes to show you.... Don't drink the bong water...
Old January 10th, 2015, 07:32 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Ha ha ha...

A buddy of mine had a '67 440 Newport that he drove from NY to CA when he moved, towing a trailer.
Found that one of the spark plug wires was off when he arrived on the west coast.
Hadn't even noticed the loss of power.
Plugged it back in, car ran great, no further problems.

I can't see a motive for the writer to mislead anyone (when selling a car, you try to convince buyers that it works, not that it's shot), so I vote that he's an idiot, and bought what some garage guy told him as an excuse for not being able to fix the car.

- Eric
Old January 11th, 2015, 04:28 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

After the second trip to the shop, why would anyone who could walk and chew gum simultaneously go back for more?.

Roger.