General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Enclosed car carrier needed

Search this Thread

Old November 8th, 2021, 06:01 AM

Enclosed car carrier needed

I am moving to SC and I need a covered car carrier that is good yet not kill me on price! I need to move 4 vehicles one told me 1600 per car! Wow any Ideas?
Old November 8th, 2021, 07:12 AM

When I moved from NJ to Florida I had 4 classic cars to move. I purchased a used car trailer transported the vehicles one at a time over several months. After I was finished moving the vehicles I listed the trailer and sold it for more then I purchased it for. It ended up being less expensive then paying a transport company to move my vehicles. Plus I also moved others things at the same time in the bed of my truck etc.

Old November 9th, 2021, 04:32 AM

put it out there on facebook transport companies monitor this and might have a truck going empty and will take cheaper, you'll be surprised how many follow this. there's also a facebook page for transporters
Old November 9th, 2021, 05:00 AM

Here's what you can do. Douglas, Ga. seems to be the home of some trailer makers. How far is your SC residence from there? I bought one from Renown and drove 3 1/2 hours each way from my place in SC to get it. One of the best moves I made. I ordered a 20 ft enclosed with a good list of options, and I paid $8,220 for it out the door. For something comperable in the Northeast I would probably be paying double that. You might need a 22 or 24 foot but I kept the size down as 20 ft was good enough for my 79 cars.

Some suggestions, though. You are going to be doing alot of deadheading travel back north, so get the options that are going to hold up for long haul travel. I highly recommend the semi-screwless exterior panels and AT LEAST 0.30 thickness siding. I ordered the torsion axles (5,200 lb) instead of the standard leafspring (3,500 lb). Man what a difference in the ride. When I'm empty going town the highway with the torsion axles I'm not bouncing down the road like if I had the leafs. Probably an exaggeration, but I think you get the idea.

Also, thing about getting the extended tongue, it makes the trailer a heck of alot more maneuverable. Buy 2 spare tires not one. A single spare isn't enough, trust me on that one. I went with the one piece roof with 2 air vents and the MaxxAir covers so I can keep them open on severely hot days.

Last edited by BlueCalais79; November 10th, 2021 at 10:54 AM.
Old November 9th, 2021, 12:14 PM
Banned

Covered car carrier for four cars will not be cheap no matter what.
Old November 9th, 2021, 01:16 PM

Towing a multi car trailer may require a commercial license and a diesel dually. I suggest that first you try a broker who can put it online for a group bid.
Old November 9th, 2021, 01:16 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Might help if we knew where you're moving them from.
Old November 9th, 2021, 01:45 PM
Banned

Agreed
Old November 13th, 2021, 05:55 AM

From Florida to NC, I have 4 vehicles under contract to move . And you are right not cheap yet large and reputable. I went with a very large known carrier!
Old November 13th, 2021, 05:59 AM

From Florida to NC, I have 4 vehicles under contract to move . And you are right not cheap yet large and reputable.
I went with a very large carrier and NO to this broker crap that I was dealing with!