General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Electric Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2020, 06:18 PM
Goldiewilson4mayor

Electric Power Steering

Any body have or know some that has installed EAS electric power steering kit. I want to clean up engine compartment of the 67 and think I would like this . I already have a jeep gear box. So not having to make hoses or mess with the pump any more will be great. That would leave only the ac compressor as my alt is drive shift driven already.
Old December 8th, 2020, 09:28 PM

I have EAS on a car of which I became as a swap for working on two others. I didn't know it had power steering, until I read up on these particulat models and couldn't find the pump. When the first came out, I immediately dismissed them for being weird add-on gadgets. I was surprized, though, at how good it worked, while still communicating road feel.
If the Jeep's steering box is visually of the Saginaw-type like earlier AMCs used and the power assist is located withing the box, it should be as simple as to just adapt the Jeep's electronic control unit to your present harness, as a supplemental modification.
If the piggy bank happens to be generously full, converting your steering over to electrically-assisted rack and pinion would make things more precise and would also allow your headers a little more room to stretch

Last edited by Killian_Mörder; December 8th, 2020 at 09:32 PM.