General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Dual point dist ?

Search this Thread

Old September 27th, 2023, 08:04 AM

Dual point dist ?

I ask this question in my last post but I think I asked to many question & it got looked over..Did olds ever offer a dual point dist ? I CAN NOT FIND ANY INFO ON THIS TOPIC AT ALL.. Mine has a GM cap with twin windows on it . The only GM I knew of that offered this was on the 59 to 61 corvettes. I guess if I was not so lazy I would take the cap off & look if they just put the wrong cap on this or does it really have dual points.. I cant believe they would put a dual point dist cap on this if its not a dual point.. thanks again..

Last edited by zl1 camaro; September 27th, 2023 at 08:13 AM.
Old September 27th, 2023, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Olds did not offer a dual point distributor.
Old September 27th, 2023, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Olds did not offer a dual point distributor.
I thought as much, I need to remove that cap. Thanks guy
Old September 27th, 2023, 11:28 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by zl1 camaro
I guess if I was not so lazy I would take the cap off & look if they just put the wrong cap on this or does it really have dual points.. I cant believe they would put a dual point dist cap on this if its not a dual point.. thanks again..
..."they" would put a dual point cap on a single point distributor? Never underestimate people.
Old September 27th, 2023, 05:38 PM
Past owned:

There would be no reason Olds would install a dual point distributor. Why you ask? Olds engines were not hi-rev engines, were not competing in any sort of Trans-Am, or road race application that would have required it. Oldsmobile was considered an 'Upscale' division car.
Old September 28th, 2023, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by crossboss
There would be no reason Olds would install a dual point distributor. Why you ask? Olds engines were not hi-rev engines, were not competing in any sort of Trans-Am, or road race application that would have required it. Oldsmobile was considered an 'Upscale' division car.
I did not ask why, olds were all about torque, not rpm... LOL This weekend I will take that cap off and take a peak see.. I questioned this because the level of restoration on this is soo nice I cant believe they would of done something like this., but you never know about things like this..The other thing is they are hard to come by & cost more $$$$ so why. CRAZY !

Last edited by zl1 camaro; September 29th, 2023 at 06:21 AM.
Old September 28th, 2023, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
..."they" would put a dual point cap on a single point distributor? Never underestimate people.
I will find out this weekend., yes [THEY] may of done just that...thanks
Old September 28th, 2023, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by crossboss
Originally Posted by zl1 camaro
I did not to ask why, olds were all about torque, not rpm... LOL This weekend I will take that cap off and take a peak see.. I questioned this because the level of restoration on this is soo nice I cant believe they would of done something like this., but you never know about things like this..The other thing is they are hard to come by & cost more $$$$ so why. CRAZY !
Well, clue me in as to what RPM level an engine needs a dual point distributor ? Wouldn't a dual point distributor require getting both sets of points gapped and timed correctly ?

Last edited by OLDSter Ralph; September 28th, 2023 at 01:16 PM.
Old September 28th, 2023, 12:51 PM

i have an Olds dual point at home, its aftermarket, ACCEL i believe. no cap on it though
Old September 29th, 2023, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
Well, clue me in as to what RPM level an engine needs a dual point distributor ? Wouldn't a dual point distributor require getting both sets of points gapped and timed correctly ?
Its really about a hotter spark because the coil has time to saturate..so no misfire at higher rpms. Yes, of course the points need to be set correctly [dwell] which effects the timing.. accel had the hot set up. they had rubber plugs on there distributor to set the dwell. kinda the same principal as GM HAD. Before someone corrects me on this, the newer accel dist had these plugs, not all.

Last edited by zl1 camaro; September 29th, 2023 at 06:18 AM.
Old September 29th, 2023, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by stan 65 cutlass
i have an Olds dual point at home, its aftermarket, ACCEL i believe. no cap on it though
my distributor is for sure a GM. I am going to pop the cap on mine this weekend and see what the hack is going on.. lol..