General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Dual Gate questions

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2012, 09:33 AM

Dual Gate questions

Is the reverse switch on '69 Hurst/Olds dual gate adjustable? My friend's reverse lights come on in between 'Park' and 'Reverse' (and go back out when in 'Reverse')? Also it was my understanding that when the shifter is in the right side gate (1-2-3) it should rachet from 1 to 2 and stop, then ratchet from 2-3 and stop, correct? His doesn't stop at the next gear and goes all the way up to 3. I haven't pulled it apart but is it likely worn or missing a spring. Anybody have a diagram?
Old March 25th, 2012, 09:54 AM

I could be wrong but the adjustment for that is in the column. Should be a link that attaches a few inches away from the firewall where the column comes through. The link should be connected to the piece that runs from the frame ot the trans. Where the rod gets attached to the link is adjustable.

Should be pretty easy to adjust.

Nick

Someone chime in if this is bum info

Last edited by Nickthefish; March 25th, 2012 at 09:54 AM. Reason: sp
Old March 25th, 2012, 07:46 PM

IIRC, isn't the 69 (and 68) switch on the shifter itself? Pull the console and look for a doo-dad with four wires (two for reverse lights, two for safety start) near the bottom of the shifter. It should be adjustable. Some searching of this site, or even just google for dual gate neutral start switch, will get you to several threads about it. Some guys even made custom switches since the stock ones are hard to find.
The guys at wildaboutcarsonline.com may have the reference manual online if you don't have it.

The dual gate is **not** a ratchet shifter. Rather, there are small detents. So push forward and to the right. The lever will hit the detent. Let go. Repeat.
Old March 25th, 2012, 08:06 PM

I did find some pics on here that show the switch on the passenger side and below the shifter itself but it didn't look adjustable. I can barely see the wires to it with the top plate removed but because of where it is I guess I'll have to completely disassemble it.
Old March 25th, 2012, 08:47 PM

I just found a nice diagram from Hurst here: http://newsite.hurstolds.org/shifter.htm