General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

drainplugmagnets.com/ Filtermag

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2014, 05:34 PM

drainplugmagnets.com/ Filtermag

I ordered a magnetic drain plug today after seeing their DP magnet hold up a wrench. Anyone heard of them before? If not I will see if the magnet really is that good and post my findings.

The Filtermag arrived the other day from summit and I installed them on the oil filter and trans. They hold great. Will post pics of the effectiveness when I open the filter next time.

Anyone have experience with these products?

Last edited by Gary M; February 7th, 2015 at 05:17 PM.
Old May 19th, 2014, 05:25 AM
Mr. Johnson

I've got a regular magnet glued into my trans pan and it will pick some "fuzz" up. honestly I think it just catches it before the filter has a chance to. It's never popped off inside the pan so I've just left it in there the past 10 years and clean it with the filter. I can't say anything about the oil filter though I'd like to see that cut open after a few k.
Old May 19th, 2014, 06:29 AM

I will be cutting it open but since I don't drive it much don't know when. I will posts pics then to show results.
Old May 19th, 2014, 08:11 AM

Just had my motor rebuilt.I used one of the DP magnets.After I ran about 300 miles with the break-in oil.I removed the filter and cut it open and found that it had done its job,there was the finest metel shavings stuck to the side of the filter. Cant see how the filter could of stopped them alone.Maybe they can but I sure do feel better using one. I bought one for my transmission and one for my Drivetrain.
Old May 19th, 2014, 09:20 AM

Can't possibly hurt to trap steel shavings where they can do no harm.

Trans pans often have one inside. I worked at a trans shop for a while, the guys would toss the extra magnets to the ceiling [steel]... there were 100's of them up there.
Old May 19th, 2014, 09:54 AM
pavemobile

I have used the filtermag oil filter products for years on various vehicles. When you cut your filters open you will find what we use to call "wear grease" type debris, barring anything catastrophic of course. If it is not suspended in the oil it won't have a chance to work through the filter and cause wear in other parts of the engine or transmission. Some folks feel they are a waste of money because anything big enough to cause damage will be stopped in the filter. I'm one of those that believes in multiple points/layers of protection. You can also find high temperature magnets at kjmagnetics.com if you want to supplement you in pan magnets for your tranny. They have a variety of sizes, I just type - high temperature - in their search box, I have also purchased several sizes from them for differential cover and interior transmission pan supplements. Can't hurt.
Old May 19th, 2014, 12:18 PM

I put magnets in my tranny pans if they dont already have them. I also have a drain plug magnet.