General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Door Edge Guards

Old March 1st, 2014, 07:38 AM
No Dr. but play 1 on TV

Door Edge Guards

Hi All,
I was thinking about putting these on my car. I could use them because of where I store the car. I don't want to put them on, but feel like I need to.

Does anyone use these and recommend them?

I found some at Fusick that are for my 70 442. They are not cheap, but the only place I found them for my car.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks,
BQ
Old March 1st, 2014, 07:40 AM

I have seen door edge guards made out of flexible clear plastic if you do not want/like the fitted chrome ones. Don't ask me where I have seen the clear plastic ones as I do not recall.
Old March 1st, 2014, 07:55 AM

If you have lots of primer/paint build up on your doors it's probable you'll chip paint when installing the stainless steel edge guards.

Dave has a good idea just get generic plastic slip-on guards should be able to find something suitable in a local parts store. Just get a length and cut to fit.

Henry
Old March 1st, 2014, 07:55 AM

I have a 70 W30, when I bought it, it had the plastic ones on it. To me they do not look good, to thick, and as they got older, kind of yellowed and did not stay on good, took them off. My son has a 70 Chevelle we have restored, and he bought the fitted tight metal strips, they look good. I think they are stainless. If you do decide to use the metal ones, make sure they are what you want, as his went on very tight, and I'm sure if you don't like, and take them off you will rune the paint.
Old March 1st, 2014, 08:09 AM
Hookers under Hood

Crila Plastics Ind. makes plastic door edge along with other plastic moulding you could try them. They have plastic laminate chrome , brushed chrome, slide on door guards in clear lite blue etc. Purchase per roll cut to your specifications. Hope this helps .
Eric

Last edited by 76olds; March 1st, 2014 at 08:12 AM.
Old March 1st, 2014, 08:38 AM
No Dr. but play 1 on TV

I thank you all for the comments.
I assumed these guards were a plastic form fitting chrome color that would slip or glue on.
After reading your comments, I looked at them again and they are metal!!!!
I had no idea. No I do not want these to scratch the paint on the edge. I would rather buy a long plastic roll and replace when looked bad.
I will look around at auto parts stores and see what they have.
Thanks much for help.
Old March 1st, 2014, 10:07 AM

Can you pad where you store the car? If you always park in the same spot, perhaps foam rubber on the wall would work.
Old March 1st, 2014, 10:25 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Benton Quest
I was thinking about putting these on my car.........because of where I store the car. I don't want to put them on, but feel like I need to.

Does anyone have any other ideas?
Couple of thoughts on this.
1. Yes you can buy the plastic door edge guards and they will work fine. The are a different thickness and look than OEM though. Advantages: cheap/available/easy to remove replace.

2. OEM style guards. Henry is absolutely right about any paint chipping if you have a build up due to primer/BC/CC. I have a set of these moldings (Fusick's - same as yours) and the lip opening is really tight. I also have BC/CC so I know that trying to put them on could be a disaster. What I think might be helpful is the same process I used on my deck lid trim. Use a screen mesh roller tool to gradually widen out the channel of the molding. It means rolling the wheel at an angle many times to accomplish your goal, but it will result in a snug fit without breaking/chipping paint.

3. Third option is to gently sand down the edge of the door to reduce the paint thickness, then polish it before installing the edge guards. This requires a very steady hand and numerous fittings to measure progress.

I opted for method 2 on my car, as mentioned and the trim fitted on very nicely. Gentle bump with my open palm was all that was needed to seat it to full depth with not chipping. Note: chances are really good that a stainless trim WILL leave scratches going on/coming off. I don't plan to ever take mine off again though.

Last note: Stainles door edge guards are not immune to being dented or damaged. Consider that if your storage area may constantly 'impact' (no pun intended) your doors. I don't have that issue and am seriously thinking of leaving the guards off to maintain the clean look the car has now.
Old March 1st, 2014, 10:37 AM

Thinking I'm not putting my stainless ones on when mine is finished. Allen is right about the clean look. I deleted my trunk trim just for that purpose. My one car garage had a cinder block wall on the drivers side when I back it in. Instead of putting a guard back on my door I'm getting some of that rubber padding from tractor supply store and liquid nailing it to the wall where the door opens. Won't help out in the world but like they say, 90 percent of all accidents happen within 7 miles from home.
Old March 1st, 2014, 10:47 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by '69CutlassVert'
My one car garage had a cinder block wall on the drivers side when I back it in. Instead of putting a guard back on my door I'm getting some of that rubber padding from tractor supply store and liquid nailing it to the wall where the door opens.
That is also a great cost effective solution!
Old March 1st, 2014, 08:37 PM
Randy C.

I put the stainless ones from Fusick on my car because I have the original window sticker and they were ordered with the car. I think they look fine. I've never had an occasion since I finished restoring the car (summer 2007) where they came in handy, though...pretty careful all the time to not get into situations where a door edge guard is needed!

Randy C.