General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

door edge guards

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2020, 12:38 PM

door edge guards

I ordered door edge guards for my '71 cutlass from Fusick. Today they came in and the label on them says that they are for a '68-'69 Cutlass. I called Fusick and they said that the edge guards for a '71 are no longer reproduced, so they sent these instead(?!?!?!?). Made no sense to me either.

I do not believe that they do, but before I return these, will door edge guards for a '68-'69 fit a '71 (and look correct)?

Last edited by chip-powell; April 8th, 2020 at 01:09 PM.
Old April 8th, 2020, 04:43 PM

I have a repop set of these that are supposed to be for a 70-72. I'm never going to put them on because I'm too chicken. I'm really worried they will take off the paint. Anyway I don't know if the ones you have will fit, but if not I'll sell you the set I have. If you're interested PM me.
Old April 8th, 2020, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
I'm never going to put them on because I'm too chicken. I'm really worried they will take off the paint.
I had the same concerns after repainting my car and never reinstalled the door edge guards. The opening on them is so thin they will not go over the thicker paint job without removing most of the paint. A while back I found some silver plastic door edge guards at an automotive paint supply house that from a distance look the same as the metal ones, so I put them on instead. They are like a plastic tube that's slit along the edge and they slip on very easily with no chance of paint damage.
Old April 8th, 2020, 05:38 PM

You might try Don’s Auto Parts in Oregon they have door edge for a lot of GM cars i’m not sure about your specific model but it might be worth checking. donsautoparts.com
Old April 10th, 2020, 02:12 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. I had not thought about that vertical line created from having them installed and the odd look that it would create. I think that I'm going to hold off for now.