General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Does it bother anyone else...

Search this Thread

Old August 11th, 2015, 05:39 PM

Does it bother anyone else...

When you go to a car show and you see new cars (always seems to be corvettes and mustangs) mixed in with the old classics. I do appreciate all cars especially when they are modified or customized etc but if I wanted to see new cars I would've gone to the dealership. I mean I guess if they're all done up that's cool but plain jane stock new cars don't belong in a car show.
Old August 11th, 2015, 05:53 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Car shows are what they are. If it's a show n shine you can expect that. If its a registered event the organizers usually try to organize cars according to either brand or vintage. Nothing to worry about IMO.
Old August 11th, 2015, 06:54 PM

I'll throw you a curve ball! Last Tuesday I blasted out of work and took a ride to our towns weekly cruise in. When I pulled up this guy walks up introduced himself says your car looks nice and we get to talking, when he points to this pretty chevy and I say nice 57 and he says not that car the 92 geo metro. Now this car was in unrestored form typical rust on bottom of the doors about the size of my hand ready to fall off and leave a hole you could probably see the door panel or window. He said its a rare bird its a convertible with air conditioning! He said he paid 3200 for that car recently.
Old August 11th, 2015, 06:55 PM
Justin

The last show I attended had about half, was newer cars and they won most of the awards did it bother me yes as most only had nice stereo's and pin stripes on them. Although there was a very sick 2010 Chevy Camaro with at least a 15k paint job on it and it won first place!

cars are cars and I love them all

this show was a fund raiser for the community so it all went to a good place
think in 20 years most will be considered a classic and they will be in our shoes complaining about there generation
Old August 11th, 2015, 07:50 PM

I agree completely. But its great that they share the same passion for their cars we all have for ours.
Old August 11th, 2015, 07:51 PM

It takes all folks. I just make a point of pointing out how much the 'new' muscle cars all look alike. One aftermarket body kit and you couldn't tell the difference between any of them. Then I say something really offensive like pointing out that the only car on the road with any identity is the Veloster.
Old August 11th, 2015, 08:18 PM
Administrator

It's a car show... I'm not looking for trophies, just a chance to play nicely with others.
Old August 11th, 2015, 08:30 PM
72 Olds CS

mostly i go to cruises where any car or truck might show up, one of my favortie cruises regularly has a 60s mack truck 18wheeler type tractor show up 4wd completely restored ...it doesnt bother me at all, at that same cruise a couple circle track cars are sometimes there, its neat to see what there all about, when my olds is down I will bring my late model muscle, plenty of people still check it out and it sounds as good as it goes so folks look up when they hear it.

I just goto check out cars and trucks and bikes, some meh i dont really care for but its great they all show up and show them off.

a related funny... theres a guy Dave i know just from the cruises, he usually has a 62 volks but his daily is a Fiat 500. anyway i was w my kid and dave was looking the other way and i said to my kid loud enough so dave could hear hey can u believe someone brought a fiat 500 here, dave whips around saw it was me and quickly pointed out that there was also a late model car on the end of the row (unknown to him it was mine LOL) I retorted w hey thats the nicest car here...he laughs and says oh so thats yours where the olds ?...point is I stopped over and checked out his Fiat just because i never saw one except in traffic. sure i love the olds but if we all brought olds and everyone had em ....well that wouldnt be so sweet
Old August 11th, 2015, 08:53 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

It seems I see a lot of late model Corvettes, Chargers and Challengers. The Mopars are really big into the custom headlights. I don't compete with them and I am there to have a good time.
Old August 12th, 2015, 04:24 AM

Personally, I have no problem with newer cars at the shows. If you are proud of your car (plain jane or not), good for you. Enjoy. Judges at shows know the difference.

I work with a guy who owns a 2010 Camaro. So far, he's put about $30,000 (not counting the purchase price) into it. He enters it in shows every weekend from spring until fall and wins almost all of the time. He also drives it to work regularly. Am I jealous...no. To each his own. He loves newer cars, I love "classics". We still have great car conversations.
Old August 12th, 2015, 05:40 AM
car nut farmer

Nothing wrong with newer cars if they are in their own class.

Walked through a local show last Saturday. The classes were by make and model and the new muscle cars walked away with it. A 2015 Hemi Charger beat out a 1969 Roadrunner, rotisserie restored. Not to mention the club putting it on got to enter their cars and took home the most members prize. Crazy.
Old August 12th, 2015, 06:10 AM

I'm not really into the whole show/cruise in thing and this is one of the reasons why. Why anyone would want to "show" their new car that anyone can see at the dealership is beyond me. You don't have anything rare or uncommon, you didn't restore it. You signed on the dotted line at the dealership down the street. Awesome!
Old August 12th, 2015, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by chadman
I'm not really into the whole show/cruise in thing and this is one of the reasons why. Why anyone would want to "show" their new car that anyone can see at the dealership is beyond me. You don't have anything rare or uncommon, you didn't restore it. You signed on the dotted line at the dealership down the street. Awesome!
This here is my opinion as well. It doesn't bother me at all, I like looking at cars. But if I'm going to take it to a show, it will either need to be rare or something I put work into restoring
Old August 12th, 2015, 07:23 AM

I don't think a new car should win over an old car because of what Chad said. The new cars can come, as long as they don't crowd out the old ones.

The main problem I have is jerks. If you're a nice guy, it doesn't matter what you drove in.
Old August 12th, 2015, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by 71rocket
Nothing wrong with newer cars if they are in their own class.

Walked through a local show last Saturday. The classes were by make and model and the new muscle cars walked away with it. A 2015 Hemi Charger beat out a 1969 Roadrunner, rotisserie restored. Not to mention the club putting it on got to enter their cars and took home the most members prize. Crazy.
Ya that makes no sense at all to me. But oh well
Old August 12th, 2015, 05:38 PM

I just have little interest in them, maybe I'll take my 07 totally stock and very clean Grand Marquis survivor to a show.
Old August 12th, 2015, 08:00 PM
Administrator

I think some of you are missing the point of local car shows. Its not about the car, its about the participation of car guys/gals, young and mostly old. I remember back in 1980 when I had just finished my 68 Mustang GT Fastback, I attended my first show with it and there were a bunch of 20's through 50's cars there. A few gave me and some others with late model cars a hard time. It bothered me a little, but I kept playing with my 60's and 70's cars. People have to start somewhere. If your going to these shows just to ****** a trophy, you are going to be sadly disappointed a lot. Sometimes theres no rhyme or reason why some are chosen, sometimes its who you know and how many are in your group to out vote the other groups, or sometimes they just plain like your car. Just go and have fun, get to know the other folks and look at some of the amazing work that back yard enthusiasts do in the name of love. Whether you hate em or love em, they are all participating in a wonderful hobby.
Old August 12th, 2015, 08:24 PM
Oldsmobile enthusiast

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I think some of you are missing the point of local car shows. Its not about the car, its about the participation of car guys/gals, young and mostly old.
I think you missed the point, Its called a "carshow" not a "people show", I don't go to look at any people and don't care to meet any, I go to look at cars. If I want to look at people I'll go to Walmart or the corner convenient store. These idiot want to bes pull in a new Corvette and set up a info stand on how their car is a rare one of 5 built on a Friday with the cup holder mirror warmers, and have every piece of documentation they could copy and put in a gold plated binder.
They have no idea what a gamble it is driving 20 miles to a show in an old car praying you make it there and back verses their 100000 mile warranty and free oil change and coffee for life poser weekend warrior chariot. Screw em.
Old August 12th, 2015, 09:12 PM

I ignore the new cars, but we're supposed to be all inclusive...bring it back in 40 years when some work has gone into it's resto or preservation. We have one show with a 1985 cut off date, and I would like to see more.
Old August 12th, 2015, 09:16 PM

All the car shows I go to are 1985 and under. The Jerks still show up with there new crap like its something!. Beat it Jerk-@$$!
Old August 13th, 2015, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by s i 442
I think you missed the point, Its called a "carshow" not a "people show", I don't go to look at any people and don't care to meet any, I go to look at cars. If I want to look at people I'll go to Walmart or the corner convenient store. These idiot want to bes pull in a new Corvette and set up a info stand on how their car is a rare one of 5 built on a Friday with the cup holder mirror warmers, and have every piece of documentation they could copy and put in a gold plated binder.
They have no idea what a gamble it is driving 20 miles to a show in an old car praying you make it there and back verses their 100000 mile warranty and free oil change and coffee for life poser weekend warrior chariot. Screw em.

Tell us how you really feel.
Old August 13th, 2015, 04:21 AM

Ha,ha! I love it!!
Old August 13th, 2015, 06:49 AM

I drove Montreal to Detroit and back in my Parisienne for Woodward one year. 2 years later, I did it again in my Custom Cruiser. The hotel I stayed in had an entire club of yellow mustangs ... all on trailers. A couple were older ones, one fox body ... the rest were all late 90s and up.
Old August 13th, 2015, 07:11 AM

A common year for the cutoff is 72, or 75. The Newport IN Antique Auto Hill Climb limits their car show on the side to 72 and older (of course the hill run itself is 42 or older, or 55 or older for some classes.) The Oldtown Cruise In in Kissimmee FL, billed as the longest running every weekend car show in the US, does 72 and older on Sat night and newer on Friday.
Old August 13th, 2015, 08:18 AM

Just go to shows that are for 74 and earlier.....Problem solved.

I try not attend shows put on by motor cycle clubs, but that is just me. No problem with bikes( I raced for four or five years) but I prefer shows that have emphasis what I'm interested in and aren't a carnival show... Just me....Tedd
Old August 13th, 2015, 08:44 AM

Still laughing 5 minutes after reading the "5 built on Friday with cup holder mirror warmers"!
My daily driver - aka poser weekend warrior chariot - is a '08 Z06 - would never dream of taking it to car show until at least 20 years from now.

Last edited by costpenn; August 13th, 2015 at 08:50 AM.
Old August 13th, 2015, 09:02 AM

There are two Saturday morning cars & coffee type gatherings close to my home and close to each other so I attend quite often in good weather. There are no rules so any type of car is welcome. There is always a group of newer Corvettes and sometimes some newer exotics. At first I thought these folks were just bragging about how much money they had but if you look at what a restoration costs these days that isn't really true. So I don't mind it and sometimes you see something pretty rare. The main difference is that most of those new car guys don't do anything on those cars except wash them...
Old August 13th, 2015, 09:40 AM
"me somebody" site member

Plenty of guys who own classics just "wrote a check". I see them celebrated at shows, in magazines and on boards like this one all the time. And I remember seeing people show their mid-late 80s 442s at Englishtown when brand new or just a few years old. None of this has ever caused me any emotional duress.
Old August 13th, 2015, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
Plenty of guys who own classics just "wrote a check". I see them celebrated at shows, in magazines and on boards like this one all the time. And I remember seeing people show their mid-late 80s 442s at Englishtown when brand new or just a few years old. None of this has ever caused me any emotional duress.

You seem to have missed my point entirely. It certainly doesn't cause me any "emotional duress". I actually get quite a chuckle out of it more than anything on the rare occasion that I actually attend a show/cruise. I prefer to be behind the wheel be it on the road or at the drag strip as opposed to in a lawn chair listening to the DJ play the Beach Boys.
Old August 13th, 2015, 11:50 AM

Yea, the DJ music mostly sucks.
Old August 13th, 2015, 11:57 AM
MOTORHEAD

Originally Posted by Bozang1
When you go to a car show and you see new cars (always seems to be corvettes and mustangs) mixed in with the old classics. I do appreciate all cars especially when they are modified or customized etc but if I wanted to see new cars I would've gone to the dealership. I mean I guess if they're all done up that's cool but plain jane stock new cars don't belong in a car show.

curtail your mind
or not??

see ya later
Old August 13th, 2015, 11:57 AM

I've read that lawn chair comment many times by many different people as to why drag racing is so superior to a car show. Correct me if I am wrong but don't most drag racers sit around in the pits in lawn chairs most of the time? Then when called to the lanes spend less than 14 seconds behind the wheel? Or are most tracks so deserted that you can hot lap all day long?
Old August 13th, 2015, 01:24 PM

Yeah it kind of irks me too! I can see if it's a hell cat or Shelby super snake or something like that!
Old August 13th, 2015, 01:55 PM

Well, my 'classics' are 1981 and 1985. And locally, they're more rare than 1960 -1970 Chevelles.
Old August 13th, 2015, 05:18 PM

I do sometime appreciate seeing cars that represent the end of an era. I saw an 80 something box Mercury full size station wagon a few weeks ago, mostly original condition.
Old August 13th, 2015, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by TK-65
I've read that lawn chair comment many times by many different people as to why drag racing is so superior to a car show. Correct me if I am wrong but don't most drag racers sit around in the pits in lawn chairs most of the time? Then when called to the lanes spend less than 14 seconds behind the wheel? Or are most tracks so deserted that you can hot lap all day long?
Nope. When I'm not physically behind the wheel I'm either getting my or one of my buddies cars ready for the next round or watching guys pop wheelies and race. I like cars in action no matter if I'm driving or watching. I'm not one for just sitting around.
Old August 13th, 2015, 10:38 PM

You seem to have missed my point entirely. It certainly doesn't cause me any "emotional duress". I actually get quite a chuckle out of it more than anything on the rare occasion that I actually attend a show/cruise. I prefer to be behind the wheel be it on the road or at the drag strip as opposed to in a lawn chair listening to the DJ play the Beach Boys.
Don't screw with the Beach Boys Drag friend. They did more for the Drag racing sport than any Rock group ever.
Old August 14th, 2015, 03:36 AM

TK's post does have some validity. Trust me.....I know all too well. I quit drag racing in 1990 because of just that issue; the seat time fun didn't outweigh the working and waiting. Like waiting on a Friday night test session while the staff cleaned the track because somebody in their everyday 5.0 Mustang thought they were Don Garlits and put a window in the side of his block. I'm back racing in a Nostalgia Series and my peers are much like me.....graybeards who still have the passion, but we only go out every so often.... NOT 4-5 times a week like when I stopped in 1990.
As to the car show thing and sitting in lawn chairs? Not really my cup of tea, but guys and gals, we NEED those people and those shows to keep our hobby afloat. If the population numbers in this hobby/business didn't include all types, the aftermarket suppliers would not have a need or reason to support us with parts, venues, events, etc. If you don't like sitting in a lawn chair at a cruise or don't want to look at newer cars at that cruise, you can still attend, just leave your chair on the deck and walk on by the newer car. I see some of the guys and gals in my age group buying the newer stuff because our old broken down bodies can not physically work on older cars or do the required maintenance to keep them running 100% and keep them detailed to a level of acceptability. Newer "muscle cars" fill the void/need for these type of people to still "be in the game" and not break their backside doing it. I have a C5 Corvette that I've owned for about 15 years; I gotta tell you it is comfortable, relatively quick, gets 30 mpg, and has a pretty darn good look (Arctic White/ Torch Red leather). Now if a car as dated as this can be THAT good, imagine how good s BRAND NEW one can be? "Different strokes for different folks".......remember, this is all supposed to be FUN!!!!
Old August 14th, 2015, 05:00 AM
Oldsmobile enthusiast

I don't like going to a car show or cruise in and the new stuff is clogging the main isle like they are the main attraction, what are they trying to show off, what they can afford or they made it to the show with out and incident ,whew thank goodness you made it I was worried you might have not made it!!! And some one said just walk by it, yea really???? But several block of of new stuff you just can't blink and be 4 block down the road past it. I purposely walk by and stare up at the sky or down at my phone, and sometimes commit loudly "I'll be glad when we get to the show and out of this Walmart parking lot!"
Old August 14th, 2015, 04:08 PM

I love the cars shows and I just walk past anything that doesn't interest me, but it sure is nice to have a bunch of enthusiasts milling around.
Even better to have something totally different like an Olds

Quick Reply: Does it bother anyone else...