General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

does anyone have

Search this Thread

Old August 3rd, 2008, 04:39 AM

does anyone have

ram air hood for 72 cutlass
Old August 3rd, 2008, 11:04 AM
Just an Olds Guy

WOW!! I never thought of asking anyone here that, I'm looking for one too.
Been my expereience that an original W-25 hood for 71/71 is pretty hard to come by. And if you see it on a parts car, it's going for an arm and a leg, or it's not original. I'd love to get my hands on one too (for a good price).
FYI Thorntons is now "open" for sales on the metal lined 71/72 hoods but YIKES, they are 2 grand +. You also have to get the air breather setup for another 500 bucks and the hood locks/mounts.

If you're not a fanatic about original, Parts place, Fusicks and Tamraz have a Fibreglass reproduction (that even has a functional air box) for just under 600 bucks. You'll need the hold down kit to go with it because they don't have any metal for your hood latch. Also you'll need to change your hood springs to lighter.

If anyone out there has or knows where there are any good originals, please let BOTH of us know. (Can't do a pickup so I know it would have to ship probably Truck freight =-ground).
Old August 3rd, 2008, 11:48 AM
Registered

Me three!
Old August 3rd, 2008, 11:54 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Allan R
If anyone out there has or knows where there are any good originals, please let BOTH of us know.
If you're having problems with a $2,000 repro, you don't want to know about originals, I'm afraid. Welcome to the world of supply and demand.
Old August 3rd, 2008, 12:24 PM
Registered

I've seen more than a few cars bought just to take off the hood, always hoping to trip over one but know better. I got my eyes open in any case, even a blind squirrel can find a nut once in a while. In fact there is a '72 Cutlass W-30 (he says) on Craigslist here for 1500 bucks like that, just missing the engine, trans, and hood of course, plus a few other select parts. It does have a spoiler though.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/car/764185602.html

Allan

Last edited by Bluevista; August 3rd, 2008 at 12:28 PM.
Old August 3rd, 2008, 06:27 PM
Just an Olds Guy

If you're having problems with a $2,000 repro, you don't want to know about originals, I'm afraid. Welcome to the world of supply and demand.
Joe, I don't think I said I have a problem with Thornton's, they make the best aftermarket w-25 hood in the world. My reference to their price is because I could get one of their hoods through Fusicks 2+ years ago for 1375.00. Didn't buy then because our dollar was only worth 64cents compared to the greenback. And besides I didn't have the spare coin then either. When I called Thornton direct and asked when they would be releasing the product publicly and the price, they said it would be around mid 2008 and the price would be about 1500. So ya, I was a little surprised when it came out for 2295.00. That's about 800 bucks different. Try explaining that to your Mrs. when the bill comes in. And yes, I could have bought a brand new original on evilbay 2 months ago if I wanted to start the bidding at 3 grand. These hoods are out there. The one from "pinks" was being auctioned and no one would touch it because of the fibreglass damage. In fact the same guy had 2 OEM hoods for grabs, both damaged. No takers. I see them on boneyard dropdowns, but they never answer an email.

And I'm all to aware of the "supply and demand". I've been bitten many times over by that nasty snake. I'm also VERY much aware of the cost to ship stuff especially since when it comes across the border it gets hung up in customs and gets hit with tariffs and duty + tax. You guys in the states are lucky. I read enviously that there is "free shipping" on parts only to seethat it's restricted to (continental US ONLY). I don't get it, they can ship for free in the states? I don't think so, but they're willing to pay shipping to make themself look good. Either that or the part is so highly priced (supply/demand thing again) that they can afford to kick in shipping. Give me a little bit of a discount too then. I know it costs for "intl" shipping. I ACCEPT that it's a cost of doing business. Large stuff??? Shipping = ripoff city. Ok, most of the time. There are some really decent sellers who give fair shipping prices, but they're few and far between. Supply? means "gimme all yer money". Demand? means "cause I want it all". Yup, I've been around the block and know what it is. Don't like it, just have to put up with it if you want the part.

What my post was referring to is that in todays HIGH COST world, stuff costs money. And as far as the hood goes, let's see figure about 2300 to buy, 400 to ship, another grand for the air breather and parts + chrome locks etc, then body work prep/paint and fit (approx 750) and Ya, I'm looking at about 4 1/2 grand just to put one of these babies on my ride. And it's not going to make it worth a whole lot more because Olds isn't valued in the same price categories as the more popular vettes, camaros and chevelles. ??don't know why but oh well.
I'm perfectly aware of costs. But just like everyone else I'm also looking for a deal. No reply necessary, I'm just venting a little, if I offended you by this rant --sorry. Gonna go have a beer and calm down a bit........
Old August 4th, 2008, 08:15 AM

Any of you around Chicago and interested in chasing down a lead?

My auto shop teacher in highschool used to buy cars and part them out. I understand he has a large stash of parts. I bought a 71 442 from him during high school he took the w25 hood and tried to get the his and hers shifter but I ended up getting the car with it.

This was the late 80s but Joe is quite the hoarder, I wouldn't be surprised if he still had it.

Joe Tomala he used to live in Joliet but I believe he is in the Lombard area now.

Good Luck.

Tad
Old August 4th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Allan R
....I'm perfectly aware of costs. But just like everyone else I'm also looking for a deal. No reply necessary, I'm just venting a little, if I offended you by this rant --sorry. Gonna go have a beer and calm down a bit........
No offense taken, though I'd suggest using the "Parts Wanted" section of the site. Sure, we're all looking for deals, and ever so often we find one.
Old August 4th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Thanks Joe.
If I get any leads on w-25 hoods, maybe I'll start a new thread for everyone who is interested. BTW, I kind of thought you would understand so I had a couple of beers for ya just cause you're so easy to get along with. I think we finished the six pack pretty much in 30 minutes between the 2 of us.

I'll take a look into the Parts section. Haven't used it as a resource yet. Cheers!!
Old August 4th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Gary

I saw a hood that was puchased from Tamraz put on a 71 by a guy who primarily is a restorer for Mustangs. the guy does emaculate work.Needless to say that hood was very straight and made that car look fabulous. Tamraz is selling the hood for about 558.00 plus shipping. The hood latch kit is selling for about 140.00. May sound crazy even after seeing that hood at a fraction of the cost, but I am leaning towards getting one from Thornton
Old August 4th, 2008, 06:42 PM

We're all in it with you Allan. Same rules apply to a 68 442 rear bumper with exhaust cutouts !! Sure would look sweet though.
Old August 5th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Guys, to this this new thread I posted and check it out. This is a rare opportunity that I can't take advantage of but one of you sure can. It's exactly what this post (and most of us) are looking for. OEM Ram Air W25 almost like new!!!
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...mint-sale.html