General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

DMV waiting time

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2018, 11:17 PM

DMV waiting time

I just spent 3 hrs waiting in the DMV here in Calif. In your State what is the avg. waiting time ? I went to two other DMV and 3 hr. wait in all of them.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 01:52 AM

Ca. is the most dysfunctional, jacked up place on the planet! The DMV isn't any better in So. Cal. I'm sure it will get better though if they keep raising the taxes. To register a car that's been off the road for over 20 years is up to $1000 now. Don't get me started. You can make an appoint. online which will get you through quicker, but it may take a few weeks if they're booked up. Good luck, sorry for the rant.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
yosemite_sam.gif (22.5 KB, 0 views)
Old May 23rd, 2018, 03:45 AM

The last time I was in DMV, I had to wait a good 45 minutes. Like Shiftbyear said, its quicker if you do it online. Just recently, I changed my address on my drivers license online and had it received the new license by mail within 5 business days. I was in no rush but at least I didnt have to travel, finding parking space and wait on that long *** line.
I dont know about other cities but in NYC, instead of you going to DMV, we have companies that will do DMV work for you.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 04:02 AM

Never had a problem here in Maryland (we call it the MVA here). Then again, I usually plan ahead if I have to go. I've found that if I go on a Tuesday - Thursday at around 2pm, I have a very minimal wait time (10-15 minutes tops). The trick is to get there after the lunch rush and before the after work crowd.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 05:02 AM

out here in iowa,the longest it has ever taken me there is maybe 10 minutes.unless i have to do something in late march or late sept when property taxes are due.then maybe 12 minutes.when i went in back in dec to register my camper that i bought out of state it took roughly 5 minutes and i was out the door with new plates.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 05:20 AM

In North fulton county Georgia, I go in and look for a certain [nice smart] lady, If she's not there that day, I leave

I refuse to wait and be treated like $hit
Old May 23rd, 2018, 05:22 AM

I just went to the DMV in OK a week or two ago to register my truck and my wife's Kia. It took 10 minutes. I've been there in the past and spent 20 minutes to 1/2 an hour when there are a few ahead of me, but never obnoxiously long.

In OK you have to pay registration for a car that hasn't been registered for years but only up to $300 or so. That would be over 20 years without registration though since it's so cheap to register an older vehicle.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 05:35 AM

In the Cleveland area, Medina County depending on what the transaction is. 15 to 20 minutes. Title transfer is usually a different office and that may take little longer. I believe that all of Ohio is serviced by non state government people. My experience in Ohio has always been quick. I spent 10 years in upstate New York and that is really bad.
Wayne
Old May 23rd, 2018, 06:31 AM
Randy C.

We just moved to Albany, OR, from Olympia, WA. I didn't make any appointment at DMV in changing our driver licenses or re-titling the cars. Yes, we did have to take the "written" test (now on a computer) for our driver licenses but there was no wait for it - just go in, sit down at the screen and take the test - get 28 out of 35 questions correct and you are on your way! The cost for each driver license was $60 and they are good for 6 years. To re-title the cars, I had to take a number (the last time I went in, mine was 89, now serving 88), wait about 2 minutes, and then get it done. The other 3 times were very similar. In Washington, to get a vehicle "inspected" to ensure the VIN matches what your title says, you have to make a reservation with the Washington State Police and take your car to one of their inspection points - the closest one to me was 20 miles away and, until I make a big stink about it, I was going to have to wait 6 weeks for that appointment date (when I protested, they got me in the next day). In Oregon, the DMV representative came out from behind the counter and went out with me to the car to ensure the VIN matched what was on the title. It costs $388 to re-title each driver car (which includes tags that are good for 2 years). Oregon DMV doesn't make any distinction between cars and pick-ups - both get the same plates - and the plates they issued us were consecutive for her car and my pick-up. It cost $201 to re-title each collector car. I found "year-of-issue" license plates at swap meets for each collector car which DMV gladly accepted and that's the last time I pay for any tags or anything else for the collectors, DMV-wise. No annual fee, no new tags, nothing, for the collector cars.

Needless to say, I was pretty happy about all of that. The impression I got was that small-town DMV offices are pretty efficient!

Randy C.

Last edited by rcorrigan5; May 23rd, 2018 at 07:28 AM.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 06:34 AM
same but different

The wait is rarely longer than 10 minutes at mine. It has greatly improved from the times when the line would reach outside, but that was years ago.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 06:43 AM

Central Indiana is 10-30 mins depending on transaction and now many things can be done online.

For decades the BMV here was horrible. Branch decor & processes straight out of 1950s Soviet Union with surly indifferent employees (& run by incompetent political appointees !). Title & plate work could take 3+ hours with numerous and surprising add-on fees at every step of the way.

About 10 years ago the Governor (Daniels) made it a priority to revamp the BMV and it's now much, much better.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 06:54 AM

I'm a California guy and have suffered in the hands of our DMV offices in the past.I have found now if I show my disabled placard I go to the front of the line which helps if there are twenty or more people in front of me( sorry people)I feel bad about that but standing for more than 20 minutes is about my limit. Also when I can I use the AAA insurance office and there is seldom any wait time there. I will say that the attitude of the DMV people has gotten better ether by luck or training..... Tedd
Old May 23rd, 2018, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Indy_68_S
Central Indiana is 10-30 mins depending on transaction and now many things can be done online.

For decades the BMV here was horrible. Branch decor & processes straight out of 1950s Soviet Union with surly indifferent employees (& run by incompetent political appointees !). Title & plate work could take 3+ hours with numerous and surprising add-on fees at every step of the way.

About 10 years ago the Governor (Daniels) made it a priority to revamp the BMV and it's now much, much better.
X2. Things are MUCH better now in Indiana than back before Mitch. He sure fixed this problem and brought it to modern times. I remember before, I would go to the BMV about 30 minutes before it opened so I would be first in line. It was easier to wait 30 minutes for them to open than wait 2 hours plus after they opened.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 08:20 AM

Here in SW Missouri the longest I have waited is about 15 minutes. Greatly improved over the years!
Old May 23rd, 2018, 09:31 AM
72 Olds CS

In mass we used to have many RMVs, then they closed many RMVs and instead of a ten minute ride to the RMV it's a 25 min drive ea way.

More recently they moved that 25 min drive RMV so it's now 35 min drive ea way. In addition the state www stated a new adress that showed in up in Google in an alley 5 miles away from the actual new site

When possible, I renew by phone or mail or have my INSCO go to the reg for me. The last couple times I did have to go, it was about an hour wait. The state www lists wait times at the RMV branches so you can try and go during slower periods, if you can believe the posted wait time!!
Old May 23rd, 2018, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Went .to our DMV here in Mayberry yesterday to register 2 cars. Even with the 2 people ahead of me, it only took 10 minutes.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 11:14 AM
delete

Originally Posted by ELY442
I dont know about other cities but in NYC, instead of you going to DMV, we have companies that will do DMV work for you.
It sounds counter-intuitive, but I've had good luck going to DMV's in Manhattan. Pop in 1st thing in the morning before work & pop out

Funny story - I live in Nassau and go to a Manhattan DMV to register a car. Guy asks me what the sales tax is in Nassau. I tell him I'm not sure but think it's 8.625%. The guy tells me I HAVE TO know. I tell him, if you are relying on me, I'm sure its 2%. Guy slithers off his stool and walks 8' away, where they have a chart of the tax rates taped to the counter.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 11:23 AM
Gary

As Tedd alluded, use AAA whenever you can. Then you get both a shorter wait and interaction with sentient beings.

Since moving to a small town in Texas, my DMV frustration went away. The wait is rarely 10 minutes and the folks on the other side of the counter have a sense of humor AND they are your neighbors.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 12:01 PM

Went to the DMV in Co. Springs this morning around 9:30, waited less than 5 min. At 11:00 it would have been a 30-45 min wait.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 12:45 PM

Might be all our cars here in Ca. I too have AAA but some things you have to go to them. I had eye surgery 10 days ago and had a lens installed but not 20/20 yet and the lady asked me to rear the letters I got some right but the eye is getting better. I just wanted a 2 month more on my dr. lic. I'm on a temp right now. I have been driving over 50 yrs and counting. I can see just fine to drive but they want my eyes 20/20 I guess. The last time I was in there it took 2 hrs now longer. They need a 1 item like the stores have. I talked to people standing out side as there is no room inside it has like 50 people outside. It takes one hr. to get your number then 2 hrs wait so 3 hrs there.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Just one of the many reasons not to live in CA.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 04:45 PM
Lansing built

Michigan it's called the secretary of state office. Depending on the time 25 min to 1.5 hrs depending on the time of day.

Most things can be done through the mail. Buying from a private party, you have to go and pay the taxes and plates.

Pat
Old May 23rd, 2018, 05:08 PM
Olds Fever

Here in NY I use a smaller county office and the average wait time is approximately 15 minutes... Although, on a good day, I can be in and out in 5 minutes... If I were to use the main office in Albany, it could be at least an hour on average...
Old May 23rd, 2018, 07:48 PM

Went in to check if I purchased my renewal sticker in the fall cuz I couldn't find it at home...seems I did pay...in and out in one minute cuz I was lonely in there with only three girls behind the counter and zero victims. Went home and discovered a secret hiding place with proper current sticker. Yahoo...But on a regular day it would be fifteen to thirty minutes.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Gerald Nickels
Might be all our cars here in Ca. I too have AAA but some things you have to go to them. I had eye surgery 10 days ago and had a lens installed but not 20/20 yet and the lady asked me to rear the letters I got some right but the eye is getting better. I just wanted a 2 month more on my dr. lic. I'm on a temp right now. I have been driving over 50 yrs and counting. I can see just fine to drive but they want my eyes 20/20 I guess. The last time I was in there it took 2 hrs now longer. They need a 1 item like the stores have. I talked to people standing out side as there is no room inside it has like 50 people outside. It takes one hr. to get your number then 2 hrs wait so 3 hrs there.
20/40 will get you a pass on the eyesight test, been there done that.... Tedd
Old May 23rd, 2018, 10:15 PM

Getting the left eye done in June so not going to the DMV for at least 6 weeks till both eyes are better. I had Lasik done in 1999 so he is not getting the eye right. I told him just to take out the Cataract no lens but he still wants the lens in.
Old May 24th, 2018, 04:14 AM

went to orange county dmv in ny to register a blazer i bought and it looked more like a court house. a couple police officers .rows and rows on benches to sit and wait .you had to stand in a line just to pick a number .i love my local ballston spa dmv rarely in there more than 15 minutes .now dealing with ny state rules and regulations is another story!!!!
Old May 24th, 2018, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Indy_68_S

X3
When ever I have to go there, the wait time is minimal, 10-20 mins. tops.
Old May 24th, 2018, 06:13 AM

My local DMV (CT) is awful. I'm typically there between two and three hours. I can't even park there most days - Small parking lot and it's surrounded by businesses with signs threatening having your car towed away if you park there. I can't think of a private business that abuses its customers as badly as DMV.

Unfortunately AAA doesn't do most of the things I need.
Old May 24th, 2018, 07:34 AM

Not much of a wait here in Nebraska unless you go on the first or last day of the month when all the procrastinators go to license before their plates expire. The biggest problem is if you are doing anything other than a simple renewal on a newer car you will never get it done in one trip. They will always tell you that your records are incomplete, wrong, smudged, blurry or some other BS excuse so they can make you jump through more hoops. I just bought a 442 from Texas that had a 1974 Arkansas title that had an extra digit in the VIN, their heads exploded. They told me I would have to send registered letters to all the previous owners to retitle it in their names and the first one is dead!
The only thing that saved me was a savvy manager in the Arkansas DMV that got me a new corrected title in my name. Then Nebraska still gave me crap because the car didn’t show up in Carfax even though I had a valid Arkansas title. I informed them that if your car doesn’t have a 17 digit VIN Carfax won’t find it. Idiot bureaucrats!

Last edited by Fpcopo; May 24th, 2018 at 07:39 AM.
Old May 24th, 2018, 09:32 AM

When NV computerized around 2000, the idiot keyboard operator typed in my VIN wrong, adding a number. Recently they sent me a nasty letter saying the car was not insured. Well, it has always been insured, under the correct VIN. Showing them that the VIN was correct on older registration cards didn't help. Showing that the VIN they typed was impossible didn't help. I had to get their employee to "inspect" the VIN and fill out a form, just to fix their screw up. It is common to wait for hours in line at the DMV.
Old May 24th, 2018, 12:35 PM

Hey oldcutlass I have been to Texas 2 times never going back that State sucks, the County we were in was a dry County in TEXAS WOW. I had to drive to the next county to buy beer and Pepsi they only had Coke there. One more thing the Semi trucks were on my butt in the fast lane What's with that. Stay in the two lanes to the right. My State still is the best for every thing you need. I can go to the beach in the morning and go to a lake to ski then to the mountains and snow ski in one day. Try that in Texas get over it oldcutlass.
Gerald
Old May 24th, 2018, 12:42 PM
Jeff

Michigan has the online tool for renewals and also online appt scheduling for the in-person visits. Almost a must-do in the more populated areas. Went in to transfer registrations on the jetski and pontoon up north, and had to wait for the one person ahead of me to get his sh*t together. The guy was dealing with jetski registrations and titles, and the clerk told him he had 3 on record. He was completely flummoxed, because he swore up and down that he only had 2. After about 15 minutes of debate, he finally remembered that one caught on fire. On the lake. With his wife riding it.

How in the hell could you forget something like that?? And, how would your wife ever let you forget it?
Old May 26th, 2018, 07:00 PM
delete

Took my son for his permit the other day. You have to sit for a 20 question test administered on a computer. All in we were 2.5 hours with an appointment