General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Distributor Restoration recomendation needed

Search this Thread

Old February 29th, 2016, 11:52 AM
delete

Distributor Restoration recomendation needed

Saw a few ads on Hemmings for shops to restore a points distributor. Does anyone have a recommendation for a shop they've used & were happy with? I have a stock points distributor for my car that I want to have restored before I drop it in. Thanks
Old February 29th, 2016, 11:57 AM
delete

Also, this is a long shot, but I have a fairly new set of MSD wires on the car but they have HEI (female) ends on them. Does anyone make a conversion cap to use HEI type wires with a points style distributor?
Old February 29th, 2016, 01:19 PM

I have a 1120332C17 that doesn't need anything but cleaning if that will help. $55.00 to your door in NY. Let me know, and on your cap for HEI wires I don't know of any.

Johnny
Old February 29th, 2016, 01:47 PM
delete

Thanks but I'm trying to make the car more original. The only issue with the HEI is the aesthetics. I have a date coded 1111982 but need to have it gone through.
Old February 29th, 2016, 02:16 PM

One of the members here gave me this. I never tried them but it doesn't hurt to call them.

Ignition Engineering
1244 E Balsam
Anaheim, Ca 92805
714-334-9143
Old February 29th, 2016, 02:30 PM

Define "restored".

Do you want it to function properly, or have a full cosmetic restoration?
Old February 29th, 2016, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by droptopron
Also, this is a long shot, but I have a fairly new set of MSD wires on the car but they have HEI (female) ends on them. Does anyone make a conversion cap to use HEI type wires with a points style distributor?
Go to Summit Racing's site and look up MSD's distributor cap offerings. I have a MSD HEI terminal ends type cap on an original GM points-type distributor on one of my cars. Distributor was converted to an MSD-type trigger internally but the body, etc is original to the '72 car. This cap also uses a MSD-provided wire retainer on top of the HEI terminal wires. They may have it in black now (mine is red).

Last edited by 70Post; February 29th, 2016 at 09:58 PM.
Old March 1st, 2016, 03:51 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by My442
Define "restored".
+1. What do you mean?

A distributor has a body, two bronze bushings, a shaft with a gear, two weights, a weight centerpiece, two springs, a points plate, a points plate ground wire, a hot wire, a set of points, and a condenser.

If the bushings are worn (does the shaft have axial play?) they can be driven out and replaced (parts are available from one of the Corvette suppliers).

If the wright pivots are worn (visibly wallowed), the weights can be replaced.

The springs can be replaced, though sourcing precise originals may be difficult.

The wires can be replaced if they are damaged.

The base can be bead blasted, but is essentially invisible when installed, and usually caught an ample amount of overspray during assembly anyway, so what is visible should have some paint on it in a "correct" restoration.

So... What, exactly, are you looking for?

- Eric
Old March 1st, 2016, 04:50 AM
Administrator

Thanks but I'm trying to make the car more original. The only issue with the HEI is the aesthetics. I have a date coded 1111982 but need to have it gone through.
A bit of a conflict here... A couple of members here have the equipment to calibrate distributors.
Old March 1st, 2016, 06:40 AM

I replaced the bushings on some UHV units a while back.

Corvette bushing is too long- easy fix.
Shaft often scored and worn beyond use.
Pile of dist'rs found me a better shaft with the same number "football" on the top for same spark curve.

Old grease looked like dried cheese, was not really grease anymore.
Install, shaft is tight. Just a little.

Turns out 0.491" is aka 12.5mm and a reamer was dirt cheap on Amazon.

Took reamer to hardware store, found pipe fitting that just pass the reamer shaft, and center it in the housing, so that after inserting the bushing, the reamer trues it up right in line with the other end.

Install 2nd bushing, do the same, using a different reamer guide.

Voila' the shaft spins like new. Fresh grease. oiled felt ring.

I did not alter the outside of the casting in any way. I was basically rebuilding a '480 dist'r from an NOS '290 and other parts.
Old March 1st, 2016, 06:45 AM
delete

I want it restored just like any other component would be restored. I want it gone through for appearance & functionality. Any wear items checked & if worn out replaced. The housing is grimy & has paint overspray on it. I want that all cleaned up.
Old March 1st, 2016, 06:46 AM
delete

Originally Posted by 70Post
Go to Summit Racing's site and look up MSD's distributor cap offerings. I have a MSD HEI terminal ends type cap on an original GM points-type distributor on one of my cars. Distributor was converted to an MSD-type trigger internally but the body, etc is original to the '72 car. This cap also uses a MSD-provided wire retainer on top of the HEI terminal wires. They may have it in black now (mine is red).

Thanks. I'll check it out.
Old March 1st, 2016, 06:47 AM
delete

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
A bit of a conflict here... A couple of members here have the equipment to calibrate distributors.

True but you won't really see the difference in spark plug ends once it's installed. To me, an HEI sticks out like a sore thumb on an otherwise stock looking engine.
Old March 1st, 2016, 06:48 AM
delete

Originally Posted by ELY442
One of the members here gave me this. I never tried them but it doesn't hurt to call them.

Ignition Engineering
1244 E Balsam
Anaheim, Ca 92805
714-334-9143

Thanks. I'll check them out.
Old March 1st, 2016, 06:56 AM

If you are really picky, some of the Corvette and Camaro folks use Jerry McNeish.

A top shelf rebuild "reskins" the surface, and completely replaces all the wear parts.

Hemmings has a number of vendors that perform this.

Expect to pay $250-350, or more.
Old March 1st, 2016, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by 70Post
x2, I'm pretty sure the part number is 8433 (red) or 84333 (black), make sure you verify that. You'll lose the points adjustment window, so you'll likely want to go electronic conversion as well.
Old March 1st, 2016, 08:53 AM
delete

Originally Posted by 83hurstguy
x2, I'm pretty sure the part number is 8433 (red) or 84333 (black), make sure you verify that. You'll lose the points adjustment window, so you'll likely want to go electronic conversion as well.

Very helpful. Thank you. That looks to be just what I'm looking for. Thanks.
Old March 1st, 2016, 03:30 PM

"The housing is grimy & has paint overspray on it. I want that all cleaned up."
===
Standards vary
some would be po'd if the rebuilder ruined the original patina and factory overspray on say a '68 H/O unit. Things are only original once.

For example, I would be quite upset if the "restoration" process for a rare part ended up with this sort of finish

And I would consider "refinishing" this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-OLDS-OL...5SlSVl&vxp=mtr

to be a crime. Original orange daub. Overspray. proper stamp.
A light cleaning externally, verify internals perfect, working order and run with that.

Last edited by Octania; March 5th, 2016 at 08:26 PM.