General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Dilemma.

Search this Thread

Old October 19th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Oldsdruid

Dilemma.

What do I do? It'd be awful hard to let this beauty go down so a Cutlass can have a 455 it didn't come with.

http://www.73-77olds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3615

I need another car like a hog needs a holiday, and buying it would mean putting off some work the house and the green Starfire need. I sure hate to think about this poor Delta losing its heart, and especially its survivor-ness.

Why can't guys like this find a ratted-out rustbucket to swipe a 455 from? I don't understand the mindset that big cars are good only as a source for big-blocks.

Anyone on here close by Hagerstown MD area who can go look at it for me, and vouch for whether it's roadworthy?

You can probably figure out who I am over there.
Old October 19th, 2009, 07:20 PM

It sounds really nice. I hope someone saves it... even if it means other projects being put off Yes, I have two 1973 455's that came from cars too far gone to save that I would gladly send his way if I wasn't on the other side of the country. John
Old October 19th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Pic request

Originally Posted by rocketraider
What do I do? It'd be awful hard to let this beauty go down so a Cutlass can have a 455 it didn't come with.

http://www.73-77olds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3615

I need another car like a hog needs a holiday, and buying it would mean putting off some work the house and the green Starfire need. I sure hate to think about this poor Delta losing its heart, and especially its survivor-ness.

Why can't guys like this find a ratted-out rustbucket to swipe a 455 from? I don't understand the mindset that big cars are good only as a source for big-blocks.

Anyone on here close by Hagerstown MD area who can go look at it for me, and vouch for whether it's roadworthy?

You can probably figure out who I am over there.
Can you post pics of this car? I went to the web link, but don't want to join another forum just to look at the pictures. Ppppppllllllleassse?? It sounds like a really nice dream car.
Old October 20th, 2009, 11:09 AM

Now Glenn, you know you want and need that car, or better yet, it needs you. LOL! Slap a set of Super Stock IV's on there like you have on the 76 Regency and your good to go. I'll be waiting to see it join your fleet!!!
Old October 20th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Oldsdruid

That's part of the problem. I have two more nice sets of SSIV's and I can picture it wearing them. I also still have most of the literature and display stuff from the 73 Delta convert I had (coincidentally same color as this Holiday sedan) though I let the C&F album go with the car when I sold it to Darrell.

Ed Lushbaugh is close by this car. I think I'm gonna call him and ask him to look it over. This is one of them damned if you do and damned if you don't things. But I would always regret if this car went down the tubes without one of us trying to save it. It would make a real nice Nationals travel car and would show real nice in OCA unrestored and AACA HPOF classes.

And I keep telling meself I don't need any more cars.
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:24 PM

My wife always says, "If he shoe fits...........................buy it."

Can't have enough Olds in my book.
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Captain of my ship

well if you can get it for a good price and have a place to put it for now go ahead and get it. you know you really want the motor and what will your chances be for finding one in a rustbucket not one in as good a shape probably. with 61,000 it should be very do-able and you could always find another old motor to put into the delta then sell it .
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Cutlass Lover

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
My wife always says, "If he shoe fits...........................buy it."

Can't have enough Olds in my book.
Yeah, what he said!! And her too!
Old October 20th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Oldsdruid

Wolf. That is exactly what I want to prevent happening to this car. 455's aren't a problem; I have several stashed around. But this is a near pristine, 61,000 mile original survivor car that deserves much better than to have its 455 yanked to stick in a Cutlass that came with a 350, just because it's a year correct engine. And that is what the OP (not me) on 73-77 intends to do with it.

My take is that unless it's the original engine, a correct year engine doesn't mean squat- the car will still never be numbers matching. And except for V-codes and Toronados, 73-76 passenger car 455s are identical so I don't understand his obsession with a year-correct engine.

Yeah, we could let him have his 73 455 and then buy the remains, hoping he didn't bugger up anything in the removal. I can build a components-correct 455 for it easy enough, but then I'd have a car with a non-original engine, and originality is the attraction of this car. So then I'd never be completely happy with it.

No matter what series or bodystyle, they are only original once.
Old October 20th, 2009, 07:45 PM

I totally agree with you,the car is only original once and after that its just a car.If you can swing the deal I say go for it,the house work will always be there and your starfire won't mind if you adopt a new friend to share the garage.
I have done the same thing to stop a 63 98 conv from falling into the wrong hands and ending up a donk car in Virginia.One day it will be brought back to its original
condition and take its place beside the other rides in my garage.
I say go for it and savour the fact you are on the right page.
Steve
Old October 21st, 2009, 05:34 AM

These big cars in good shape are becoming very rare. I saw only a handful at the OCA zone meet last weekend and I really enjoyed eyeing them over. I know it would be a wonderful show cruiser.
I hope you DO get this car to spare its destruction. The other guy can get a 455 almost anywhere. If you cannot keep it, do a little PM on it and resell it to someone who would appreciate it. If I lived close by, I would do that.

REMEMBER - hogs really DO need holidays!!
Old October 21st, 2009, 05:40 AM
Captain of my ship

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Wolf. That is exactly what I want to prevent happening to this car. 455's aren't a problem; I have several stashed around. But this is a near pristine, 61,000 mile original survivor car that deserves much better than to have its 455 yanked to stick in a Cutlass that came with a 350, just because it's a year correct engine. And that is what the OP (not me) on 73-77 intends to do with it.

My take is that unless it's the original engine, a correct year engine doesn't mean squat- the car will still never be numbers matching. And except for V-codes and Toronados, 73-76 passenger car 455s are identical so I don't understand his obsession with a year-correct engine.

Yeah, we could let him have his 73 455 and then buy the remains, hoping he didn't bugger up anything in the removal. I can build a components-correct 455 for it easy enough, but then I'd have a car with a non-original engine, and originality is the attraction of this car. So then I'd never be completely happy with it.

No matter what series or bodystyle, they are only original once.
I guess I misunderstood your first post here. i thought the attraction to the car was a motor for the cutlass. I have not seen the pics of this car but by the sounds of it , it is in great shape? With 61000 miles the motor should have a lot of life in it as well.Your decision comes down to do you want another car. You also have to consider what will become of it should someone else buy it and maybe keep it pristine or as you guys say "donk" it out. Tough choice but I am sure you will come up with something. Even if you get it for a good price it should not really need a lot of work done to it , at least for awile? Like I said I have not seen it yet. I know when it comes to my car a lot of times I decide to buy stuff for it that I don't need right away and stetches my budget but in the end I never regret it.