General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Difference in window channels 1970 a bodys

Search this Thread

Old July 30th, 2016, 11:28 AM
Once Olds Always Olds

Difference in window channels 1970 a bodys

So,

I have a near perfect donar for the dash on my 70 442 Holiday coupe; however, it is from a 70 4-door. Now everything looks the same, but the a-pillars are at least a 1/2 in to 1 inch taller on the 4 door. I only need the bottom dash and into the a-pillar corner. My upper channel and sides are good. Anyone know of any other differences between the two models in the a-pillars?

Old July 30th, 2016, 12:27 PM
Old(s) Fart

Two doors, four doors/wagons, and convertibles all use different windshields. The differences are the height of the windshield and the angle. The base channel is the same on all of them, since the shape of the back of the hood is the same.
Old July 30th, 2016, 12:39 PM

i agree...the diff is the roof line not the cowl.. the A-pillars are shorter and at a slight diff angle..you can dissect them and use most of them if needed.

i have done it many times...
Old July 30th, 2016, 01:39 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Ok thanks, good to know. On the angle, the 4 door does not appear to be more narrow at the top than the coupe. At least measuring the wind shield channels at the bottom and top of both. I assume that since the height is longer and the channel width stays basically the same, that there would be a degree or two difference in this angle. What about the backwards tilt of the of the windshield? Is it more straight up on the 4 door than the coupe.

The body guy wanted a good donor for the base channel and the lower corners for mine. The corners are why I am asking.

Thanks again!
Old July 30th, 2016, 01:45 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Troys Toy 70
What about the backwards tilt of the of the windshield? Is it more straight up on the 4 door than the coupe.
That's what I meant when I said "angle". I guess I should have used the word "rake" instead. The coupe windshield is raked (angled back) more.
Old July 30th, 2016, 02:21 PM

Joe,Mark,
Probably know the answer but wanted to clarify, what about my 4 door '72 U code pillarless sedan? I have never checked but I assume it would fall into the 4 door slot as far as A pillar/windshield even though it's not a post car? Also would a 2 door post car be the same as a non post car?
Old July 30th, 2016, 03:34 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Joe- I thought that is what you meant, but better to ask than assume. Thanks again.

Scott,- the garage I was in had 4-door, and a post coupe and holiday coupe. From our measurements the coupes were the same, regardless of post/holiday. Can't speak for the pillar less 4 door though.

Thanks
Troy
Old July 30th, 2016, 04:14 PM

Interesting thanks for this info
Old July 31st, 2016, 06:54 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
Joe,Mark,
Probably know the answer but wanted to clarify, what about my 4 door '72 U code pillarless sedan? I have never checked but I assume it would fall into the 4 door slot as far as A pillar/windshield even though it's not a post car? Also would a 2 door post car be the same as a non post car?
Scott,

Both the Holiday Coupe and Sport Coupe use the same windshield and roof panel, so yes the are the same. I'm pretty sure that holds for the Holiday Sedan and Town Sedans also, since I'm not aware of different windshields for the more-doors. Note that this is not always true for other GM brands, however. While Olds used the same rooflines on the Holiday and Sport Coupes, Chevy sometimes did not.
Old August 4th, 2016, 08:39 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Same or very close to the same rake

Using the best scientific tools I had available, (A protractor, a multi-angle square, and of course my thumb. 😊 See pics) the best I can determine is that the rake is pretty close to being the same or is the same. It is difficult to do, as the welds, the angle of the cowl, and the a pillar also tilting inward, but you can be the judge. I get about 40 degrees.