General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Desert Valley Auto Parts has a TV show!

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2011, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by my72vert
i too watched the first couple of episodes and from what i saw their just a bunch of hacks. I would have liked to see them take more time and do a nice job restoring the cars, instead they just throw parts at it and see what it will sell for. Actually i think the prices they are getting are fair for the work that was done. Its a shame what they will put on tv these days.
agreed!
Old April 24th, 2011, 06:08 AM
Past Administrator

Resurrecting this thread because I just viewed that episode last night. A few comments:

Another excellent example of crappy reality shows that can be picked apart by people who really know the subject matter but entertains the rest of the populace. We notice all the shortcomings of that show, loggers probably cringe when viewing the 'Swamp Loggers', and fishermen hate 'Deadliest Catch' for the same reason. Very poor technical research, all the drama is staged, etc, etc.

I am very happy to say I have never had anything to do with DVAP and hope to never do so. It seems everyone is in it for the money any more and have no qualms about stretching their moral values to the limit to get it. What happened to the more altruistic motivations for doing something like "I love cars".???
Old April 24th, 2011, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Another excellent example of crappy reality shows that can be picked apart by people who really know the subject matter but entertains the rest of the populace. We notice all the shortcomings of that show, loggers probably cringe when viewing the 'Swamp Loggers', and fishermen hate 'Deadliest Catch' for the same reason. Very poor technical research, all the drama is staged, etc, etc.
Isn't everything that way? Every news story included. At least once a year there will be a story on national news that I really am familiar with the subject and they will always give a lot of bad information.
Higgins
Old April 24th, 2011, 10:09 AM

They got me wondering about there tech sense when the old guy went on about how hard it was to convert a 6 volt pos system to a 12 volt neg system. As any one that has done the conversion will tell you it can be done fairly easily with great benifits like brighter head lights and brake lights.
Old April 24th, 2011, 12:05 PM

Part of the problem with the DVAP show is that they are new to doing restorations, not to selling parts. I get the feeling this show was meant as a publicity stunt to showcase this new service they are offering. I've seen very few auctions where they actually make money, and if you look at the other cars at these auctions, they are very average ordinary cars, with the jewel being their car.

I go to a place in Poland ME to get parts for my Olds, he's got tons of old cars in his yard. He also has a ton of factory service manuals on his shelves in his "office" When I have a question about a part I am pulling, he not only knows the answers to the questions, but has helpful tips on getting the piece out, and any stray attachment piece I should hang on to that I may otherwise leave behind.

When I watched the '64 Barracuda episode, I couldn't believe no one knew anything about the operation of the push button transmission, and worse yet, they never consulted a reference book of any kind. Even the best, most knowledgeable expert will consult a reference if there is even a shadow of a doubt about the next step in a project they are undertaking, especially one they take pride in, or are looking to maximize profits/resale on. One of the things that makes Pawn Stars so great, is that when they genuinely don't know the answer, they call in an expert. The person on the show learns something, and the person sitting at home watching learns something. It's a win-win.

I'll keep watching because I love old cars, and I'll keep bristling when they do something stupid because I love old cars. It's one of life's great compromises I guess...
Old April 25th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Past Administrator

Mike, I think you are exactly right on every point you made and agree fully (for what my opinion is worth).