General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Deal or No Deal

Search this Thread

Old September 10th, 2018, 05:32 PM
Smash

Deal or No Deal

I have 2 1972 Cutlass s one a 350 the other a 455 both in various stages of undress. The 350 needs minor mechanical, some electrical, minor body work not a rust issue just little things to get ready for paint needs the body parts aligned hood doors fenders etc. plus paint. The other the 455 has a finished custom interior no rust on the body some rust underneath, needs rear cross member welded in the back and some body work left rear quarter nothing major. The motor is pulled and on a stand where I wanted to change the cam maybe the heads. Car is straight have all parts two owner car same family I have a box full of old registrations the original sales receipt protect o plate etc. Both have been garage kept since I bought them. I want to keep the 350 have it finished and painted to good driver quality, does not include the interior I will finish that myself. I will give the shop the other Cutlass as payment. I offered this to two local shops today. For a shop owner this would be a good deal would cost an owner out of pocket around $3500 and gets a Cutlass worth as is at least 6K Now just need to find a shop that has the time, because I’m beginning to realize I just don’t. Anyone have an opinion
Old September 10th, 2018, 10:49 PM

Sound like all kind of problems can come from this. I'd sell the car instead and have the cash for the work you need done.
Old September 11th, 2018, 02:55 AM

Ditto on that. So, what your basically saying to this guy is that in lieu of cash payment, please take this car that he/she will then have to complete the restoration of themselves, and then try to sell it afterwards (which might take a few months to accomplish).

I am not poking fun. What I'm trying to point out is that many small shop owners work like dogs just to stay profitable. To ask one to defer payment, and to take on another project so that they could make some more money down the road might be too much to ask.

Best bet, sell it and then walk into the shop with cash in hand. You can haggle with most shops if you say that you will pay in cash.
Old September 11th, 2018, 05:16 AM

That is great advice coming from the above two respondents. So many things can go wrong in an arrangement like what you are proposing - even with the best of intentions. Good luck with your project.
Old September 11th, 2018, 11:33 AM

A shop owner is also likely to prioritize the money paying jobs over a swap job so you could be waiting a long time for your car to roll out finished.
Old September 11th, 2018, 11:35 AM

Yep, horrible idea. Sell the one you're offering, use that money to fix the other.
Old September 12th, 2018, 04:46 AM
Smash

That’s why I asked thx