General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

dashboard help

Search this Thread

Old October 4th, 2011, 11:59 AM

dashboard help

hey there guys hows it going. so i ran into a little problem i want to fix and get out the way but i dont no where to begin. so on the dashboard of my 77 cutlass supreme none of my gauges light up, my clock dosent go, and my trunk button in the glove box dosent pop the trunk. i pulled out a bulb of my gauge and tested it and it light up, so the bulbs arnt burnt. so now i no i have a electrical problem somewhere that the dash is not getting power.. i dont no where to begine any sugjestions or comments from anyone. thank you
Old October 4th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You've got more than one problem, as the trunk release should be taken off the courtesy circuit (dome lights, clock, and cig. lighter), but the instrument lights are off the INST fuse, through the dimmer on the headlight switch.

You may need to do some huntin' with a meter and a test light.

Start by checking voltage in and out of all your fuses, and the fuses themselves, and the fuse box terminals.

- Eric
Old October 4th, 2011, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
You've got more than one problem, as the trunk release should be taken off the courtesy circuit (dome lights, clock, and cig. lighter), but the instrument lights are off the INST fuse, through the dimmer on the headlight switch.

You may need to do some huntin' with a meter and a test light.

Start by checking voltage in and out of all your fuses, and the fuses themselves, and the fuse box terminals.

- Eric
Okay ill start there when I get a chance.. okay so the trunk relase button no wonder it not working I'm missing that fuse. I try to replace it bt the fusebox were you put it is broken and it dosent hold the fuse
Old October 4th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

In that case, thee is a good chance that the rheostat coil in the headlight switch is dirty or broken, though the INST fuse and the headlight switch connector are also good candidates.

As for that fuse box, you may need to solder the wires of an inline fuse holder to the terminals to hold a fuse.

- Eric