General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Damsel in distress!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old July 30th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Cutlass Lover

Unhappy Damsel in distress!!!!!

That would be Teepo, not me! So coming home from the cruise at Stow last night, I notice all of a sudden that I have no dash lights! It's like WTH??? The radio lights up and plays, blinkers blink. When I turn on our street off of 91, a very nice Summit Co. Sheriff follows me and pulls in our driveway behind me - lights flashing. I just sat in my car until he came walking up and he had nerve enough to TOUCH my car... patted it, and says "Is this yours"??? Nope, I done stole it out of Cleveland - here's your sign!

So he politely informs me I have no tail lights either!!! I can't believe I drove all the way home from Stow, and no one had courtesy to pull along side me and say "hey - your tail lights are out"! Not much I could have done about it, but it would have been nice to know.

So.... Is this a blown fuse, or what???? Do they make old fuses anymore? I know there was a thread about fuses somewhere not to long ago - gotta look for it. Help me out guys!
Old July 30th, 2010, 05:55 AM

yes fuses are available, i dont know where too look on your car specificaly but someone will be along shortly. try wiggling the headlight switch it may have fallen apart inside. either way an easy fix
Old July 30th, 2010, 06:03 AM

My '65 did the same thing. It's probably just the fuse- if it's like mine, it's not the "full-length" one, it's a little shorter. Easiest way is to take an ohmmeter & put the probes 1 on 1 end & the other on the other end. If the ohmmeter shows anything but "0", the fuse is bad. If memory serves me right, it''s rated @ 12A. Easiest way is to just take the fuse out & take it with when you buy a replacement. The fuse in question is fairly far down on the L hand side of the fusr block.

Ralph
Old July 30th, 2010, 06:28 AM

Sandy, Don't you have the origional owners manual? I beleive it shows all the fuse locations.
Old July 30th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Cutlass Lover

Nope... I sure don't. Wish I did!! I did turn the headlight switch last night several times when I noticed no dash lights. Thought it got bumped the other way and if I turned it, they'd come on. Didn't work. I turned the headlights off and back on too a couple times. Safe to say it isn't the switch. I think.
Blue....... where are you, bud??
Old July 30th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

Dash and tail lights are on the same fuse. So is the underhood light, and if you don't have one, the pigtail in the harness can short out and blow that fuse. Don't ask my how I know this...
Old July 30th, 2010, 06:57 AM
Cutlass Lover

...the pigtail in the harness can short out and blow that fuse. Don't ask my how I know this...

Ok Joe.... I won't ask. But I will ask..... What's a pigtail and what harness??? This is the girl side of me coming out, lol!! Got pics??? I don't even know where the fuses are..... oh lord!
Old July 30th, 2010, 07:01 AM
71 cutlass convertible

X3 fuse same thing happened ot me on my 68. right down to the cop pulling me over.

Larry
Old July 30th, 2010, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Dash and tail lights are on the same fuse. So is the underhood light, and if you don't have one, the pigtail in the harness can short out and blow that fuse. Don't ask my how I know this...
Been there, done that and got the T-shirt

Sandy, Why don't ya go to the parts store and buy a box of assortment of glass SAE fuses [and a flash light if ya don't have one]

When ya get home from work turn on the lights and raise the hood and see if the underhood light will come on. If it does PM Rob cause I ain't got a clue. If it doesn't replace the fuse that's for those lights.

Go to e-bay and buy an owners manual for your car
Old July 30th, 2010, 07:12 AM

Cliffnote version- The pig tail is the wire going to the underhood lite
Old July 30th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
...the pigtail in the harness can short out and blow that fuse. Don't ask my how I know this...

Ok Joe.... I won't ask. But I will ask..... What's a pigtail and what harness??? This is the girl side of me coming out, lol!! Got pics??? I don't even know where the fuses are..... oh lord!
The fuse panel is under the dash, by your left toes (on the firewall behind the e-brake pedal). There should be one labeled "Tail".

"Pigtail" is the generic term for a wire that is intended to be connected to something else. The factory harness has connectors built in for most electrical options, such as the underhood light. In this case there will be a wire coming out of the bundle that runs to the large firewall electrical connector below the power brake booster. The pigtail for the underhood light SHOULD be taped to the harness if it's not used, but often comes loose and shorts out. Look for a loose single wire, about a foot long, with a single terminal connector on it.
Old July 30th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Cutlass Lover

Is the underhood light on the same fuse too? It's been a while since I checked it, but I will when I get home. It did work. So who has these fuses? We have Autozone, Advance Auto and a Napa around my area.
Old July 30th, 2010, 07:19 AM

I don't believe Joe beleives in in Cliffnotes
Old July 30th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Cutlass Lover

You're funny Jamesbo! I understand Joe's explanation very well! Thanks, Joe. I will check when I go home at lunch time and let you know.
Old July 30th, 2010, 07:28 AM

Any of those parts stores mentioned has the fuse you looking for. I suggest you buy one of the kits that has a selection of fuse sizes along with a fuse puller
Old July 30th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Cutlass Lover

What do I ask for? Just tell them what car I have or what??
Old July 30th, 2010, 07:48 AM

Tell then the year of the car and that it has glass fuses
Old July 30th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Cutlass Lover

Thank you Citcapp! So what kind of fuse am I looking for? Is it a certain amp or watt or something??
Old July 30th, 2010, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Any of those parts stores mentioned has the fuse you looking for. I suggest you buy one of the kits that has a selection of fuse sizes along with a fuse puller
X2!

Hard to miss the fuse block if you look under the dash a little higher & slightly left of the clutch (or about that place if you have auto trans).
Like I said, the fuse for the dash/hood/taillights is a little shorter than others up higher on the fuse block. That's why get an assortment pack w/ a fuse puller!

Ralph
Old July 30th, 2010, 08:04 AM
71 cutlass convertible

I would get an assorment because sooner or later another fuse will blow. I believe it is a 20 amp but not sure. They come in all sizes starting at 4 amps and going up.

Larry
Old July 30th, 2010, 08:16 AM

Here's what your fuse block should look like - right next to the parking brake lever under the dash.

Buy an assortment of glass tubular fuses from any good auto parts store like Napa...
You will need 10A, 20A, and 25A in AG3 size., and 4A in the "half AG3" size for your particular car.
They will be in the section around the lightbulbs and trailer lights.

Replace the 20A "tail" fuse, middle left. It controls both the tail lights and the dash lights.
The dimmable dash lights are sub-protected by the INST LPS fuse also.
If changing the 20A tail fuse does not work, then the light switch might need replacing.
Keep the fuses in the car - you will need them sooner or later.

I bet giving the cop the "here's your sign" would have got you a ticket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
fuzeblok72cut.jpg (62.4 KB, 259 views)
Old July 30th, 2010, 08:25 AM

On some cars, such as my '73 Custom Cruiser, there is a separate, second, low-amperage fuse that controls the dash lights. In my car, it's a 4-amp fuse. It is one of those short (1/2 inch?) glass fuses. Power for the taillights, dash lights, and dome lights, comes through a 20 amp fuse to the headlight switch. Power then goes directly to the taillights. For the dash and dome lights, it goes back through the 4-amp fuse on the fuse block and then to the dash and dome lights.

If Sandy has neither tail nor dome lights, then it's likely the 20-amp fuse is blown. She needs to go down under the dash to the fuse panel, find the one labeled "Tail" (fuse labels are below the fuse), and pull it out, which is not usually easy without a fuse puller, which is little plastic thing with acurved end that fits around the back the fuse so you can pull it forward.

Be prepared to have to tug on it if the fuse hasn't been replaced in a while, and then be prepared for it to give way all of a sudden and come flying out of there. There is also the possibility that the fuse will break when you try to pull it out. That's life. Just be sure to clear away any remnants of the fuse still stuck in the clips before trying to insert the new one.

If you don't have a fuse puller, you can usually get it out without breaking it if you get a small screwdriver and pry the fuse out from the ends. If you try to pull it out by prying under the glass part, it will surely break. Of course, if the fuse is obviously blown, and it's often possible to tell this just by looking at it as the metal strip inside the glass will be severed in the middle, then you don't really care if it breaks coming out.

The fuse block will say, in addition to what the circuit controls, the amperage of the required fuse. Sandy should get down there and take a look before going to the store to buy a new fuse. You can find glass fuses at any auto parts store out in the store itself hanging on a rack generally in the area with other electrical things, like light bulbs. They're generally sold both in variety packs with fuses of different amps in the package (make sure the size you need is there), or they can be sold in packages of all one size (amperage). I've also found some stores will sell the fuses to you individually if you go to the counter and ask. Depends on the store.

One thing I suggest doing before sticking screwdrivers or other metal things into areas with electricity is to disconnect the battery. You don't want the screwdriver to slip, touch some other metal, and cause a short or give you a shock.
Old July 30th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Cutlass Lover

The dome light on the ceiling was coming on last night when I was turning the headlight switch, so were the lights under dash by kick panels.
Old July 30th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Registered

Oh boy...

Larry can handle that fuse Sandy, no big deal, me had a bunch of Mopars, they have fuses.
The parts store should have a fuse assortment with a puller, if not I have all that stuff. You should always keep a fuse assortment in the car , sure there aren't any in your glove compartment or ashtray?

I would check the wire coming off the back of your underhood light too, it's could have brolken off with all the hood openings and closings, did you just have your parking lights on?
If there isn't a single wire going to the back of the light find it and tape off the end or trace it down to and disconnect from the connector it plugs into, should be right below it.
I have to take Laura to the cardiologist this afternoon or I would jump on my mighty white steed and ride over to the rescue.
I have some time tomorrow morning if all else fails, if you want to stop over you can mow my lawn while I check it out.
Old July 30th, 2010, 10:21 AM

The dome light on the ceiling was coming on last night when I was turning the headlight switch, so were the lights under dash by kick panels.
Different circuit. Those lights are fed by the CTSY fuse (above the TAIL fuse).
Old July 30th, 2010, 11:14 AM

honey how long have you had this car? different circuit yes, but activated by the headlight switch instrument lamp dimmer by turning it all the way counter-clockwise and it will click and the lights will come on (dome and underdash) Also by the opening of the door(s)

to turn off, turn the headlight switch just till it clicks, clockwise from where it was, or shut the door (s)

do not practice this with the doors open

Last edited by jeffreyalman; July 30th, 2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old July 30th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Cutlass Lover

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Oh boy...

Larry can handle that fuse Sandy, no big deal, me had a bunch of Mopars, they have fuses.
The parts store should have a fuse assortment with a puller, if not I have all that stuff. You should always keep a fuse assortment in the car , sure there aren't any in your glove compartment or ashtray?

I would check the wire coming off the back of your underhood light too, it's could have brolken off with all the hood openings and closings, did you just have your parking lights on?
If there isn't a single wire going to the back of the light find it and tape off the end or trace it down to and disconnect from the connector it plugs into, should be right below it.
I have to take Laura to the cardiologist this afternoon or I would jump on my mighty white steed and ride over to the rescue.
I have some time tomorrow morning if all else fails, if you want to stop over you can mow my lawn while I check it out.

You are funny!! I'd hate to have a heart attack while mowing your yard, but I'll sit and watch you after you change my fuse! I'll even give you water, lol! Let me know how my sista is doing, ok?? I'm sure Larry will change the fuse for me. He was making fun of me that I didn't believe him that it's the fuse... that I had to check with "my guys" too!

I checked the hood light at lunch and it did not come on when I turned on the headlights. I looked at the fuses, but couldn't get down under there good cause I can't open the door wide - she's in the garage. Will have to pull her out this evening. At least I know where they are now, lol. I will check the wire coming out of the underhood light tonight too. No fuses in the glovebox or ashtray.

I had dash lights when I first turned the headlights on, I'm pretty sure. Not something I really pay attention to, but I remember seeing the light on the heater switches thing lit up. Then I was out on 59 over to 91 with all the traffic and streetlights, and I didn't really pay attention till I got to an area that wasn't all lit up, and noticed all was dark on the dash. Weird. I didn't like it!

I will get fuses tonight. If the lights still don't work after changing the fuse, I'll call you!

Rob..... Wonderful picture! Thanks very much!!
Old July 30th, 2010, 11:52 AM

This has to be the longest fuse-changing thread in the history of Classic Olds.

And the fuse has not even been pulled yet!

Sandy, I will be disappointed if you are not even the one to change the fuse...
Old July 30th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Cutlass Lover

I'll do my best Rob!
Old July 30th, 2010, 01:57 PM

She can't help it if she is under tall and fuse challenged. Give her a break, bet she can do laundry better then you.
Old July 30th, 2010, 02:13 PM

Pat,

I believe the correct P.C. pharse is "Vertically Challanged"

But hey, It makes it easier to get to the stupid fuse box
Old July 30th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Registered

You can do my laundry if you want Sandy, need some vacuuming done too.
It was cool that Beaver Cleaver's mom wore a fancy dress and spiked high heels to vacuum, with an apron on of course.
Never could convince wife Laura to do it.

I know what I am already, no need to tell me Sandra.

Just call before you come over if you can't figure it out, need time to release the hounds.
Old July 30th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
This has to be the longest fuse-changing thread in the history of Classic Olds.
Let me jump in here and stir the pot!

All of us'n should spend $3.00 and REPLACE ALL THE FUSES. All lead fuses over many cycles of on's and off's will fatigue and eventually JUST BREAK without being overloaded!

In fact, I'm doing Blue Belle tomorrow!

The first home I built back in 1955 in Ohio had glass fuses. They started failing after about 5 years. My dad told me to change them all. Lots of folks used to put a penny under a blown fuse, and burn down many a house!

Maybe this is the END of thread.....

--Don
Old July 31st, 2010, 11:46 AM

Fuses

Thank you Citcapp! So what kind of fuse am I looking for? Is it a certain amp or watt or something??

You may want to get a slightly higher amp fuse than the one that blew.
Old July 31st, 2010, 11:57 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by steveolds68
I would not recommend that. The fuses are sized to protect the wires in that circuit. Increase the fuse size and you run the risk of turning one of the wires into the "fuse".
Old July 31st, 2010, 01:50 PM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Originally Posted by steveolds68
Oh, no!

You don't want Sandra burning up "The Prettiest One", do you!

--Don
Old July 31st, 2010, 05:23 PM

Sorry slightly larger amp fuse

Ive done it and never burned or shorted out wires. Hell once or twice ive used aluminum foil on a bad fuse til i could replace it. Hope the children are in bed for that last comment Lol
Old July 31st, 2010, 09:34 PM
Cutlass Lover

Well...... The Prettiest One has a nice new fuse, and tail lights again! I got an assortment of fuses and this little yellow plastic puller thing. I spent about 10 minutes out there on my knees trying like heck to pull that fuse out. Got disgusted and walked away from it for a while. Went back and tugged some more, and finally it came flying out!

So I replaced it with another 20 amp like it had - it was almost as hard gettin the fuse back in - and while I was still kneeling down there, I pulled on the headlights and saw a little spark inside that fuse, as it blew. That upset me!!! So I started looking at wires.

Larry was mowing over at the rental house, which we have finally rented to these people and they are supposed to buy it in 2 years - anyhow..... when he came over I was telling him about the underhood light, what a couple of you said about it, and sure enough there was a little wire up at the top of the light, behind it, by the inside of the hood, and it was bare on the end and touching the light cover. Just a little short wire. It plugged into the side of the light, kinda underneath it some. Larry just unplugged it and I put it in the glove box with all the fuses I bought. So I replaced the fuse again and all lights are working! Had a marker light out on passengers side, so I replaced that bulb too. She is very happy now!

Thanks for the help.... we appreciate it!! Going to the car show at the Streetsboro Family Days festival thing tomorrow, so hoping it doesn't rain!!
Old July 31st, 2010, 11:05 PM

excellent job Sandy! well done! and thanks Don, great idea about replacing them all - cheap and great bang for the buck preventive maintenance.
Old August 1st, 2010, 01:47 AM
Registered

Prayers do work.
I was praying Larry would figure it out.

I got your messages Sandy, sorry I didn't get back to you, we were at mom-in-laws house yesterday afternoon.
Now you need another hood light, I'll put on a good light if you find one and throw away that ruined and worthless old light for you if you don't want it.
Streetsyltucky Family Days???
The residents there are all directly related so it is one big happy family.
They wanted to call it "Home Days" but they were afraid everybody would hitch up their homes and drag them to the show.

Quick Reply: Damsel in distress!!!!!