General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2011, 10:03 AM

Daily driver?

Is there anyone on here with their olds as a daily driver? Im bout to sell my caprice and make the cutlass my primary vehicle. Or is that a bad idea? Just asking for opionions.. Thanks
Old March 7th, 2011, 10:29 AM
71 cutlass convertible

I think a # of people use their old olds for daily use. I don't personally. The only problems I might see are old parts breaking. If you can do your own maintenience should be no problems. If it hasn't been run alot check over belts, hoses, brakes etc. before daily use and go for it.
Larry
Old March 7th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Me, me, me!!!!!! Rain, sleet, snow, and ice!!! Twelve months a year!!!!!! Car is pictured here!!! And people still gawk at car shows!!! Its registered and goes thru an annual state inspection. However I do not park at Walmart, the malls, supermarket etc..., only where I can keep an eye on it!!
Old March 7th, 2011, 12:18 PM

If you are in or around a high crime area, and the Cutlass is in decent or better condition, then I would not use it as a DD. If a true beater, then it might be safe.....
Old March 7th, 2011, 01:08 PM

Agreed ^^
My classics NEVER go downtown Chicago for anything. Only driven in the burbs.
If I go to the local store with it, I park waaaaaay back far away from the shopping cart a$$holes.

You know, the one's who are so lazy they can't put their shopping carts in the catchers.
Then they end up rolling into people's cars and hitting them. yeah those jerkoffs.....I stay far back.
Originally Posted by cuttyroe
Is there anyone on here with their olds as a daily driver?
It's one of 4 of my summer daily drivers.
442, 78 z28, Harley Wide Glide, & Hayabusa.

That's why I'm putting an OD trans in it now to combat the high gas prices.
You're going to see ALOT less people being able to afford driving their BBO or non-OD cars with these gas prices again.

Last edited by Aceshigh; March 7th, 2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old March 7th, 2011, 01:25 PM
bil

I drive my 65 as much as possible,exce3pt in the winter.As soon as I can get it out,it is my daily driver unless it is raining,then I use my work van.It is the only car I have on the road.If it starts to rain,I just keep going,most of it goes over my head.I drive it until the first snow is predicted,so I can get to my storage.A newer,hardtop style would be more practicle,early 70s cutlass maybe,for year-round driving. ---bil
Old March 7th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I drove 3 as daily drivers through all four seasons at different times through a number of years: '70 Cutlass Convertible (high-comp 350), '68 98 4-Door, '68 88 4-Door (both high-comp. 455s), but the last was over ten years ago now. Nothing special to advise - they ran just like any car. Hottest driving was with an outside temp of about 100°, coldest was about 25° below zero (started right up every time, but even after an hour on the road had to keep scraping the ice off the insides of the windows because they've got no side-window defrost vents).

I agree that you've got to be careful where you park ANY nice car, but then, if it's your daily driver, it shouldn't be that nice, right? I mean, just as John Wayne said his horse was named "Horse" because he didn't want to name something he might have to eat, you shouldn't drive a car every day that it would kill you if it got wrecked or stolen. If you really like driving it, then insure it and drive it, and accept whatever happens.

- Eric
Old March 7th, 2011, 01:48 PM

If it is a beater.. Its my new beater. Eric pretty much just summed it up. Daily Driver it is.
olds004.jpg
Old March 7th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Niiiiiice!

A four door Cutlass post, just like you used to see everywhere.

A perfect driver, and a hundred times better to drive it now than to remove 20% of its parts for people with 2-doors and convertibles, and then crush the rest.

- Eric
Old March 7th, 2011, 04:14 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

All depends on what you want from the car.Long term restoration or short term transportation with no cares if it rusts.

Why you selling your caprice? I have a 89 caprice also,it's the 9C1 police version and it's a blast to drive! Iron head L-98 5.7,700r4 OD and 3.42 rear gears,dual cats with glass packs and passes emissions testing.

Last edited by w-30dreamin; March 7th, 2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old March 7th, 2011, 04:45 PM

That's why I'm putting an OD trans in it now to combat the high gas prices.
You're going to see ALOT less people being able to afford driving their BBO or non-OD cars with these gas prices again.[/quote]

Aces: Even at high gas prices, how long will it take to recoupe the cost of installing the engine you are planning on, and the trans. etc.??? No problem, just curious.
I drive mine only when the weather is dry. Evenings and weekends. And yes, no parking lots unless I'm sitting in her!
When I bought it, it wouldn't have mattered.
Old March 7th, 2011, 05:01 PM

I drive mine everyday! But then again I dont really have an option, 17 year olds dont really have the luxury of owning multiple vehicles. And fuel prices are really killing me these days. Guess thats the price I pay for a 4.11 rear, th400 trans, and a holley double pumper carb.
Old March 7th, 2011, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by ziff396
Aces: Even at high gas prices, how long will it take to recoupe the cost of installing the engine you are planning on, and the trans. etc.??? No problem, just curious.
You bring a valid question into the topic.

Really it varies upon a few factors, but the last one is the big one for me.
#1. How many miles you drive per year.
#2. Performance goals whether you want a weak motor, or big HiPo motor. Highway gear or "getup and go" gearing
#3. Cost of fuel to determine the savings over a period of time, and at this rate, it's skyrocketing.
#4. How much you'd rather pay OPEC instead of upgrading your car.
Pay yourself, or pay them.

See, for me, every upgrade to get better MPG is an investment I'm making into MY OWN vehicle,
instead of pissing more $$$ away to feed the oil companys. So the money comparison is one you have to gauge for oneself.

What happens eventually is people will just let their cars sit because they can't afford to drive them 100-200 miles for $100.
It's the 1970's fuel embargo days all over again with classics. Staying ahead of that is my goal.
But there is a line for me, if gas remains at $5 a gallon with no end in sight, the 442 will get sold.

Here's a quick layout.
If gas is $4.50 a gallon and I drive 3,000 miles annually on my 442.
It would take me ~3 years to pay for a OD transmission that cost me $1000.
Figuring a fuel savings of roughly 3mpg on average.
BTW if I sold my TH350 & TC it helps bring that down closer to 2 years.

Last edited by Aceshigh; March 7th, 2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old March 7th, 2011, 07:54 PM

Caprice is going because insurance for 3 cars is killin me. Im all about better mpg!! A dollar saved is a dollar towards my exhaust.. That caprice is a blast to drive. My 1st v8! Changed my life.. I once was a ricer.. Smh
Old March 8th, 2011, 03:57 AM

I drove an 88 Caprice for nearly 10 years, it was loaded. A beautiful car but it began to rust out. My Cutlass stays garaged but I drive it most weekends during nice weather. As far as running an old car mechanically they can be very dependable but they will quickly begin to rust if exposed to the elements all the time. If it's in really nice shape it may make you cry to watch it deteriorate. My 2000 Grand Marquis is my daily driver and it is starting to rust out. I got an 07 Grand Marquis for a very good price a few years ago. I almost sold the 00 but decided that the only way my 07 would last around here is not to drive it during the winter.
Old March 8th, 2011, 05:42 AM

I drive my 69 442 every day because that is what a car if for. I have about $25K invested in the car. I figure that is about what most folks driving around paid for their wheels, Japanese, GM whatever. But who notices? Drive a 42 year old car around and at least you go in style and it is great fun. Going to the golf course or church or store becomes an adventure each time. (I know, sounds corny, but for me it's true.)

Drawbacks: gas mileage - 8 mpg on PREMIUM gas. But I am retired Exxon and get discount, so no big deal. I put about 5000 miles a year on the car, so I am now up to about 75,000. Since I plan to keep the car, I don't worry much about what it is worth or if it is being de-valued by more miles. Far as I am concerned, combining a hobby with everyday transportation needs makes a lot of sense.

Last edited by weasel; March 8th, 2011 at 05:45 AM. Reason: added material
Old March 8th, 2011, 05:51 AM

In Texas I can definately see using a classic as a daily driver.
Old March 8th, 2011, 06:32 AM
Administrator

Well fuel economy for me is not an issue, I live 3.5 miles from work. However after a bad day I get in it, and as soon as my rear tires bump the curb, seems all the problems of the day go away!!!
Old March 8th, 2011, 08:24 AM

Daily driving in Houston make AC mandatory. A working AC was a condition of my buying the car, and sure enough, it worked fine. But then the first cold day next winter I discovered the heater was totally inop. No big deal, just put on a coat and toughed it out. But then in January the blower went out and the temps dropped into teens, so time to fix the problems.

Being less agile than when I was younger, I took the car to my trusty local mech to have everything heat and cool fixed. The heater blower is up under the right fender and they had to take the wheel well housing to get to it. So that got fixed. But driving it home it was evident the heat was still a no go. Returning to mech, I discovered the young guy they put on it had absolutely NO knowledge of vacuum driven systems! The main hose from the accumulator to the engine heater valve was not even there! After some embarrassment on their part they finally got it right.

So unless you are adept at owner maintenance and repair, be sure you have a good mechanic shop to keep your wheels road-ready. End of war story.
Old March 8th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Amen Weasel! Although my 2 x 60mph is virtually trouble free!
Old March 8th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Amen Weasel! Although my 2 x 60mph is virtually trouble free!
If I were you I'd go find some wood to knock on quick because you just asked for it somehow.

Mechanics usually cut a hole in the inner fender with a hatchet to get to the heater motor, what's with your guy Weasel?
Old March 8th, 2011, 10:16 AM

I have been using the same mechanic since '73. The old man gave the business to his son, and I have enjoyed a great relationship with them. You are right, I should be thankful, and I am. The episode ended well and they will continue to get my business. Young folks seem to enjoy farting around with my old piece of heavy metal, and in this case, learning something along the way.

I have noticed that regardless of what work I may take the Olds in for, the odometer seems to always show a significant amount of "test driving" was necessary!
Old March 8th, 2011, 11:00 AM

This is the reason I purchased my 64 Olds. It will be used for everyday driving. IMO, cars are made to be driven. What fun is it to just let it sit in storage or in your garage. I understand about driving it in bad weather Especially winter! We got hit in the Midwest with 23 inches! I definitely wouldn’t drive my 64 in that type of weather! But on every nice day that comes along, mine is going to be driven!
Old March 8th, 2011, 12:07 PM

I put about 8K on my '70 Cutlass in the last 12 months so I think it qualifies as a daily driver. No heat and no AC aren't fun but I'm hoping to have that fixed before we get hot this year. I have a Honda I take if I'm going somewhere that involves lots of highway driving, but it's just not as fun as the Olds. A 455 can make you forget about a bad day at work very quickly.
Old March 8th, 2011, 02:36 PM

I use an '87 442 as a daily driver in the summer and an '05 Crown Vic Police Interceptor as my "beater" during the winter. Each is fun in its own way.

My W-30 doesn't get driven to work. For some reason it isn't all that fun to drive in rush-hour traffic .....
Old March 8th, 2011, 03:08 PM

Heat and ac is gonna have to wait.. Exhaust leaking, turn signal not flashing, brake shoes all around. Disc conversion also has to wait.
Old March 8th, 2011, 04:31 PM

I would love too, but with cell phone idiots + more uninsured jack-offs on the road now than ever before I just think the daily driver thing is not a good idea. a Minor fender hit can mean nothing but big trouble.
Old March 8th, 2011, 04:42 PM

My commute to work is to a train station parking garage so there is no way I'll commute to work with my Cutlass but on the weekends or a day off it will often be the only car I drive.
Old March 8th, 2011, 09:47 PM

This is mine....the Aurora

DSC_6398.jpg

or as it looks in the summer......

Old March 10th, 2011, 08:11 PM
One of None W-31

Mine is a daily driver. The car is 40 years old, so I am having to constantly fix/replace things due to the age of the vehicle. I can fix most everything, so it is not a $$ pit for me from a labor standpoint. If you cannot fix everything, and are going to need help with repairs,etc. you will be frustrated with automotive shop bills.
Old March 11th, 2011, 03:45 AM

Anyone owning an old car has to know how to keep them running and fix them even if they are not daily drivers. For me it is just part of driving an old car, overall my old cars have been good too me.
Old March 11th, 2011, 12:21 PM
One of None W-31

Having a 40 year old car as a daily driver requires MUCH more time and work than one that just sits around and is occaisionally driven.

Last edited by 71 Cutlass; March 11th, 2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old March 11th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Well most daily drivers are a work in progress. Mine has 126k original miles, most of the work is keeping up with the accumulated maintenence and neglect of a 43 year old car.
Old March 11th, 2011, 07:37 PM

Just saw a 4 door 72 Cutlass rolling along in the road salt Monday. Was a solid car, sure caught my attention in a WTF are driving on road salt?!
Old March 11th, 2011, 09:27 PM
One of None W-31

most of the work is keeping up with the accumulated maintenence and neglect of a 43 year old car.
Exactly
Old March 12th, 2011, 05:40 AM

I've already got 250,000 miles... why start pampering it now? hehe
Old March 12th, 2011, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by 71 Cutlass
Having a 40 year old car as a daily driver requires MUCH more time and work than one that just sits around and is occaisionally driven.
No doubt.

I'm curious to see how many people are claiming they are DD's but will have them sitting idle alot more this summer.
I know until my 200-4R goes in, I'm not going to be driving it much with that 3 speed auto.
Old March 12th, 2011, 07:20 AM

I'm driving all three of my cars on Earth Day, as I do every Earth Day.
Old March 12th, 2011, 07:25 AM

I will be retiring in about 18 months, doing some consulting work form home to feed my hobbies. The 48 Olds that I am currently building will be my daily driver 5-speed overdrive TKO transmission. Going to buy and restore a early 60's pickup for hauling stuff I will put and overdrive tranny in it
Old March 12th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

Well most daily drivers are a work in progress. Mine has 126k original miles, most of the work is keeping up with the accumulated maintenence and neglect of a 43 year old car.
My Custom Cruiser's only 22, but even at just a few miles a day (that's daily!) all manner of things can crop up, from belts to bulbs. If any of your car's maintenance has been "deferred" by earlier owners, prepare for it to all come calling at once.

My first months with her were Michigan winter months, so I expected the worst every time I turned the key. Nice thing about that, of course, is that when your car DOESN'T burn itself down, you're pleasantly surprised...

Quick Reply: Daily driver?