General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Cutlass s outdoor cover

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2016, 06:24 AM
Smash

Cutlass s outdoor cover

Can anyone recommend a good quality outdoor cover that will actually fit and actually be waterproof. I hate to do it but I will soon have 3 Cutlass coupes in a 2 car garage someone has to get pushed out into the east coast cold. So he's gonna need a blanket. Scared to death to order one of those so called 10 ply lined covers off eBay. Reading some of the reviews there all cheap crap. Like to stay under $200 if possible but if it's top quality I would do the deuce. Obviously if someone is selling one I'm listening. Thx
Old January 20th, 2016, 03:29 PM
Smash

Let me guess no one is talking to me now because a Cutlass is being pushed out in the cold. Fine I will sleep outside Cutty can have my bed. The cover is now for me any suggestions ? My *** is about the size of a Cutlass deck lid.
Old January 20th, 2016, 04:00 PM

I use "California car cover" for my covers. It is light like a spring jacket yet takes snow and rain etc. with no problem. Not cheap like $250 ish ?? but well worth it.
Old January 20th, 2016, 07:39 PM
same but different

Originally Posted by 68442
I use "California car cover" for my covers. It is light like a spring jacket yet takes snow and rain etc. with no problem. Not cheap like $250 ish ?? but well worth it.
I too have a calcover. Its the stormweave. $259 bucks.

Check out the ultraweave line at $327 bucks. It you want a better one.

I might also suggest a cable and padlock to keep the average idiot from stealing it. Hope you sleep well.
Old January 20th, 2016, 08:00 PM

Take a look at www.sealskincovers.com .They show one tailored to fit your car,that's waterproof for $149.95 with upgrade of storage and cable lock.Get great reviews,and have 10 year warranty. Good luck. Larry
Old January 20th, 2016, 08:11 PM
Smash

Won't need the lock I hope. I'm a lite sleeper snoring wife on one side two dogs and a Glock on the other. I'm also pretty tucked in a wooded area only traffic I see is the mail man. California Covers you say I will take a look thx.
I should just build a cute little addition off the back of my two car plenty of room off the back, pour a nice slab, portable lift, bunk beds for the 72s
oh wait never mind the wife would kill me if she don't get her new bathroom. In fact I buy another Cutlass I'm gonna be asking about a lawyer not a car cover. Keep it small I can still dream.
Old January 20th, 2016, 08:13 PM
Smash

Originally Posted by Rocketowner
Take a look at www.sealskincovers.com .They show one tailored to fit your car,that's waterproof for $149.95 with upgrade of storage and cable lock.Get great reviews,and have 10 year warranty. Good luck. Larry
There you go buck and a half right up my alley I will take a look at them as well thx Larry.
Old January 21st, 2016, 05:56 AM

The lock will keep it from blowing off in extreme windy situations . Hey smash, hope the snow coming toward D.C. Is not heading toward you.I heard maybe a foot in the D.C. area. Larry

Last edited by Rocketowner; January 21st, 2016 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Add
Old January 21st, 2016, 11:25 AM
Smash

I will need the lock than I'm going with the Sealskin seams to be good quality. I just got the impression California Cover knows nothing about east coast weather. Anything they had for my weather was $400 plus.
18" there predicting here for some reason Baltimore might get it the worst. Seems the eye will stall right there so DC I think you will be lucky if only 12" I was supposed to drive up to Connecticut on Sunday to pic up the car that's now been bumped till next weekend. At least it's garage kept where it's at now.
Old January 21st, 2016, 04:36 PM

I've kept a car a few winters in one of these

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x...age-60727.html

and I like it much better than a close-fitting cover. I think the close fit cover will hold in moisture, allow dampness to soak the frame and underside. It has had 18-20 inches of snow from one storm with no issues, but usually I keep the snow off the top by knocking the tarp from the inside so it does not get heavy. Right now I have lumber and snowblowers stored in it, had it for 6-7 years now and it's still in good condition. With the cars it was nice to go in there during rain/snow, and work on the car...or just visit.
-Randy

Last edited by Randy K; January 21st, 2016 at 04:45 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2016, 06:49 AM

Randy,your info about the Harbour Freight portable garage is good to know. I saw one similar at Sam's Club but thought it might just collapse in heavy snow. Larry
Old January 22nd, 2016, 08:57 AM
Smash

Originally Posted by Randy K
I've kept a car a few winters in one of these

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x...age-60727.html

and I like it much better than a close-fitting cover. I think the close fit cover will hold in moisture, allow dampness to soak the frame and underside. It has had 18-20 inches of snow from one storm with no issues, but usually I keep the snow off the top by knocking the tarp from the inside so it does not get heavy. Right now I have lumber and snowblowers stored in it, had it for 6-7 years now and it's still in good condition. With the cars it was nice to go in there during rain/snow, and work on the car...or just visit.
-Randy
That's not bad for $200 what are the framing poles made out of ?
Make for a nice camping tent if you can't use it as a portable garage.
Old January 23rd, 2016, 01:42 PM

Poles are steel. I'll get the diameter and get back to you.
Old January 23rd, 2016, 03:10 PM

The tubular Poles are 1.34" ,informant from harbor freight. Larry