General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Critter feast

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2018, 04:24 PM
Olds Fever

Critter feast

Shortly after returning from the nationals at Gettysburg I was going to take my 92 Trofeo for a ride... I use this vehicle quite frequently, but this time the battery was low and would not start... Hooked up the charger for a few hours... Tried to start it but it just cranked and cranked, which is not normal for this vehicle... Popped the hood to check it out and to my surprise the critters had a feast which I didn't notice when I hooked up the charger since the wires were at the firewall and backside of the engine... Fortunately, I have many spare connectors/harnesses to repair the damage...

Old August 17th, 2018, 06:10 PM
Administrator

It seems they know exactly which wires to chew.
Old August 17th, 2018, 09:11 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I had a LIncoln Town Car that I sold recently. It sat parked for a while and nobody was driving it. I cranked it and it had a miss and check engine light was on. I took it to one of the shops I use sometime and a squirrel had gotten under the hood and eaten some of the wires. The cute little ***** cost me about 300 bucks.
Old August 18th, 2018, 04:32 PM
Olds Fever

I am quite sure it was a squirrel that did this damage since I had left it parked in the driveway while I was gone... Very large hole in the hood insulator as well, so I sort of ruled out mice... It was probably ticked off that the bird feeder ran out of seed while we were at the Nationals...
Old August 18th, 2018, 08:20 PM
same but different

I worry about this kind of damage from time to time. I don't really have a population of squirrels near by but even mice can do this too.

My BIL had a ram van...squirrels ate some wiring...he had it repaired...squirrels decided they still liked it.

After "the" fire.... Local fire marshall declared it squirrel damaged. Insurance paid in full. Its creepy knowing those little mammals have some intelligence..
Old September 14th, 2018, 04:15 PM
Olds Fever

Well I completed the repair about a week ago and everything was running fine... UNTIL TODAY.... I guess the critter thought I needed some more practice... At least this time it was only two wires... Unfortunately one of the two wires damaged just happened to be the pink wire which prevents ignition... I was able to jump the wire and start the Trofeo to move it back into the shop, which might be a good place to keep it when not in use...