General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Crap in valve covers

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2013, 11:33 AM

Crap in valve covers

Pulled my valve covers the other day to replac gaskets and found this foamy wet crap inside. I had the covers off a couple months ago to do valve stem seals and i didnt see this stuff in there then. Is this normal for not letting the engine warm up completly in cold weather or do i have a head gasket problem? It wiped off easily and felt like water but i just want to make sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (59.0 KB, 99 views)
Old December 29th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Justin

That looks like coolant in the oil how does the oil look on the dip stick ?

I've seen some add up in the oil cap but not that much with out it being head gaskets or intakes leaking
Just my opinion
Old December 29th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You ran it briefly on a cold day, but didn't warm it up?

That's condensation. Don't worry about it. As oldsata says, check your dipstick for cappuccino.

- Eric
Old December 29th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Administrator

You may have the start of an issue there, or it may be extreme condensation due to blow by and a cold engine. I'd keep an eye on it also.

When I did my valve guide seals using air pressure I blew out what was little left of an original steel shim gasket leading a water leak. Just fyi.
Old December 29th, 2013, 01:37 PM

The dipstick looks clean with no sign of moisture or discoloring. The engine was rebuilt 7-8 yrs ago with relatively low miles (approx 30000) and the foam is in both covers so it would be pretty strange that both gaskets would be bad. The last few times ive run it, i havent let it warm up and just pulled it out to get the snowblower out of my garage. I normally wouldnt wory except for the color of the foam.
Old December 29th, 2013, 02:52 PM

Run it long enough to bring her up to temp for a while.
I take it you have too much snow to do a long road trip?

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
When I did my valve guide seals using air pressure I blew out what was little left of an original steel shim gasket leading a water leak. Just fyi.
Most likely a coincidence, assuming you use compressor air and not 4000 psi tank air. The 100 psi from a compressor pales in comparison to combustion pressures.
Old December 29th, 2013, 02:57 PM

Ya too much ice and freezing today for a road trip. Next time that i get a chance to take it for a drive il pull the pcv and look at it. It was pretty full of crap before i cleaned it off.
Old December 29th, 2013, 07:13 PM

What kinda oil are you using? Conventional or blend
Old December 29th, 2013, 07:20 PM

Full synthetic. 10w30 vr1
Old December 29th, 2013, 07:30 PM

I had something that looked the same on my 71 gto. Changed out gaskets and noticed problem. The oil I was using was a detergent oil and it was leaving the reidue. You mentioned you are using synthetic...are there any additives in the oil, have you used oil additives. When I stopped using additives and detergent oil the issue stopped.
Old December 29th, 2013, 07:53 PM

I have not added anything into the oil but im not sure if it has any type of additive in it. I ran this oil a couple months ago when i had the covers off before and i saw no residue then.
Old December 29th, 2013, 08:24 PM

Yeah I have to also agree with MDchanic just condensation..that engines cold..Ill kick my heater on in the garage and the engine will sweat and leave a pool of water on the floor directly under the engine even tho I have a fan constantly blowing under it for condensation..the only way you may be able to get away from that is with a block heater for oil and for coolant but that's extreme really ment for racing or if you live in Alaska.. I wouldn't start and stop continuously then you get to much condensation in the oil.
Old December 29th, 2013, 09:26 PM

Ok thts what i thought but i just wanted to make sure. Thx every1 for the replies.
Old December 29th, 2013, 11:55 PM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

An hours driving at highway speeds will clear up your condensation, that's assuming you have the correct thermostat and it's working properly. It will also blow condensation form inside your exhaust and transmission - not really an issue for the transmission - but important for the engine & exhaust. Don't forget for every gallon of gas an engine burns it produces a gallon of water. with a hot engine it gets blown away as steam, on an engine that gets shut down often when it's still cold you get condensation.
Don't be alarmed at your valve covers though, what you have is quite normal. It's just you pulled the covers and saw it, plenty of other engines have the same issue but the owners are blissfully unaware of it.

Roger.